The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2021, 04:31 PM   #1
12-34hom

Iowa steps foward.

The Republican legislator + Gov Kim Reynolds got significant gun laws passed and signed into law {will be enacted July 1.} No longer will it be required to have a permit to carry concealed or a permit purchase a firearm within this state. Also there are other plans in the works concerning our rights as citizens within this framework. Thank you to all who worked so hard. 12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:06 PM   #2
ghbucky

Congrats! Big step forward! Especially no longer requiring a permit to purchase. I was always baffled that Iowa would have a regulation like that.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:57 PM   #3
Pahoo

Great move !!!

Quote:
Congrats! Big step forward!
Especially appreciated when you remember where we were, let's say 10yrs. ago. Those Iowans that do not agree, are for the most part, uninformed. I have participated in a couple of "Discussions" and it soon becomes difficult to communicate the truth of what the facts are. .....

Wishing all, equal progress .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 5, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old April 4, 2021, 08:01 PM   #4
FunGramps

Iowa is moving forward (that's what I call progressive), while WA state is moving in reverse and gaining momentum (that's what I call regressive).

Lucky you! Maybe it's time to look at relocating to Iowa.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 5, 2021 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Irrelevant image attached
Old April 5, 2021, 03:35 AM   #5
Brit

I would like to see Florida switch to no requirement of any nature to require carry. A permit/license. Other than being a Citizen.
Old April 5, 2021, 02:53 PM   #6
Joe-ker

Had to be because I did my online CCP a few weeks ago

Just like when I sell grain and it goes up the next day.....sometimes you have to be a motivator

But good job Gov. Reynolds and those that are working hard for us.
Old April 5, 2021, 09:38 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I applaud the step BACK to common sense gun laws. Of course, they are going to catch hell from all the gun control people, and be unfairly blamed for every crime committed is a gun in Iowa from this day forward.

I hear a lot of chatter about how lax our gun laws are, and how easy it is to get a gun, and especially lately about how "all" (meaning most) the mass killers got their guns legally....

Yet no one seems to stop and realize, (let alone say) that the reason they got their guns legally was that, at the time of getting the gun most of them had committed NO crimes. And so were law abiding citizens the same as the rest of us, right up until they started shooting people.

The AR 15 has been on the market since the middle of the 1960s. Pistols holding more than 10 rnds have been on the market since..um..1935

Mass shootings were quite rare, up until the later 80s and have been happening more in the last couple decades. Something has changed, and it isn't the guns.
Old April 5, 2021, 09:46 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I hear a lot of chatter about how lax our gun laws are, and how easy it is to get a gun, and especially lately about how "all" (meaning most) the mass killers got their guns legally....

Yet no one seems to stop and realize, (let alone say) that the reason they got their guns legally was that, at the time of getting the gun most of them had committed NO crimes. And so were law abiding citizens the same as the rest of us, right up until they started shooting people.
What these talking heads are overlooking (possibly by error, more likely -- IMHO -- by intent) is that especially where handguns are involved, buying the gun legally almost always means [drum roll] ... PASSING A BACKGROUND CHECK.
Jeepaholic
Old April 6, 2021, 03:02 AM   #9
RETG

You want common sense from these talking heads?

And I have not heard one mention of Cho, the Virginia Tech Shooter who killed 32 (33 including himself) with a Walther P22 and a Glock 19; BOTH LEGALLY PURCHASED WITH BACKGROUND CHECKS; in 2007. And one heck of a lot of magazines.

And this was after being found legally mentally ill.

And now the talking head narrative is this can only happen with an AR-15.

And in case of Sandyhook; could easily have been performed with a six-shot revolver. Six adults gone with the first six rounds, then the children. (And the AR was legally purchased by the guys mom, who he killed after stealing it from her.)

And no one wants to note Bath MI, 1927, 38 children killed, six adults....dynamite...still the deadliest in the USA

Just do some research on mass killings....

I really hate to admit it, but mass killings can be done at any time with basically any means known by some sick person and really, very little can be done. But reality is it takes human interaction to perform.

Time to walk the dogs....

Almost forgot, congratulations to Iowa. (Another misgiving in this life is that if a person worked for many years for Uncle Sam, we hate the idea of the 2nd Amendment....WRONG! Many of us believe in it as a defense of life.)
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:09 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG
And this was after being found legally mentally ill.
Was he found to be legally mentally ill? That's not my recollection. He certainly hadn't been adjudicated as mentally defective, and that's what constitutes being "legally" mentally ill (I think -- says the non-lawyer).

Aaaaand -- wrong again, Aguila. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Because Cho was not involuntarily committed to a mental health facility as an inpatient, he was still legally eligible to buy guns under Virginia law.[66] However, according to Virginia law, "[a] magistrate has the authority to issue a detention order upon a finding that a person is mentally ill and in need of hospitalization or treatment." The magistrate also must find that the person is an imminent danger to himself or others.[65][67] Virginia officials and other law experts have argued that, under United States federal law, Barnett's order meant that Cho had been "adjudicated as a mental defective" and was thus ineligible to purchase firearms under federal law; and that the state of Virginia erred in not enforcing the requirements of the federal law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho
Jeepaholic
Old April 6, 2021, 01:44 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Wiki is, of course, infallible...

What I remember from the time (and, of course I could be in error) was that Cho was seen by a "mental health professional" who determined he was mentally ill, but did not decide he was a danger to himself or others, and so did did not report him to the system until after the shootings, so he "fell through the cracks" in the system.

In this case, I place the flaw in the system on the mental health professional who failed to recognize or report Cho's condition accurately.

I do not fault the individual for that judgement, the mind of man is as trackless as a bog at midnight and many, many people have passed every test and check with flying colors and gone on to do evil.

Simply put, people LIE, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

Seems that the Iowa legislature and Governor also recognize this, and have taken the unusual step (for our times) of removing the requirement to use a system that presumes guilty until proven innocent.