The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2019, 12:46 PM   #76
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Yes, the ammo situation could be a lot better. Saw a box of winchester white box at Wal-Mart -- the price was sobering, to say the least. Mainly due to winchester, though -- the local big box sporting goods stores had other brands for much cheaper.

I'm hoping the market finds a new niche for the .32acp, focused on its very shootable, user-friendly characteristics. Apparently there is some support for this. Although .380 pistols outsell .32 pistols by some ridiculous ratio, the ratio of ammo demand is not so extreme -- the conclusion is that people like to shoot their .32's more than they like to shoot their .380's.

Seems like an opportunity for a creative pistol designer.
The market is never going to find a niche for the .32 unless there is some revolutionary design for a .32 pistol that is so small and light that people flock to the caliber. That's what happened with .380 when the polymer frame pocket guns like the P-3AT and LCP came out, so imagine something smaller than an LCP in .32 and still has less recoil.

Same with .32 revolvers, I'm still waiting for a 5 shot .32 S&W Long or .32 Mag built on an aluminum frame that is in between an NAA Black Widow and a S&W I frame.

What it takes to get an uncommon/unpopular caliber popular is a gun that takes the market by storm by being innovative.
Old September 7, 2019, 12:50 AM   #77
volkstrm

Yeah I know what you mean about the little Beretta's. I have a 85F nickle wood grips. Real nice gun great shooter. I call it my baby Beretta. I would love to pick up one of them 81's. I don't have anything in 32acp maybe it's time?
Old September 7, 2019, 09:53 AM   #78
PolarFBear

Just ran across a "very nice" Beretta 81 in a local pawn shop: $459.95! I passed.
Old September 7, 2019, 09:30 PM   #79
Metric

You may have heard that life begins at 40. It's definitely true for this 1980 Beretta, to within about a year. While it had a lot of finish wear at the corners and some of the controls, it was essentially unfired -- the roundcount was certainly less than 50, and possibly zero since leaving the factory. Not any more!

It has received a bit more touch-up work from me in the last week (more may be coming), and is now wearing a set of Altamont grips in their "Super Rosewood" (not the same as "actual rosewood"), and some torx-style grip screws. For my hands, at least, these grips are a dramatic improvement in shape. The plastic ones gave a rather slippery feel for me, while these give a well-anchored feel -- they clearly put some thought into the design. Of course I also like the look. Zero problems with fit to the old-style frame. I have some coming for the other pistol in a different color (silverblack).

Old September 8, 2019, 01:03 PM   #80
HBoswell

I got my two modified 84 magazines from Robertson's and checked them for function and they worked fine, until you get to the last round. The small square button molded into the follower which actuates the slide lock engages after the 13th round, leaving the last round in the magazine. Not cool. I compared it to the stock magazine and found that the button is angled so I just used a razor knife to trim the top edge off the button so that is is level. Works perfectly now. I posted a picture in this thread-https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603508
Made a trip to the range yesterday and I am very impressed with this gun. It ran flawlessly and even ran one mag of mixed hollow points without a hitch. I did find that the PPU was not as accurate at the Fiocchi. Then again, the PPU was the first mag I ran so maybe the practice helped with the second mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beretta 81 7yd target.jpg (35.0 KB, 41 views)
Old September 8, 2019, 02:05 PM   #81
fourbore

Do these M81 qualify for c&R and are any vendors accepting that? That would be 9/1969 or older.

I am, going to assume Beretta would use Italian proof codes so XXV is 1969. That is roman numberal 25. Down to I, which is 1 for 1945. Later years, they have a 2 letter code. Before 1945, I dont know.

Last edited by fourbore; September 8, 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 8, 2019, 02:09 PM   #82
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Do these M81 qualify for c&R and are any vendors accepting that? That would be 9/1969 or older.
No, the series 80 pistols were introduced in the mid 1970's, and the only date code I've seen people mention for this particular shipment are from 1980.
Old September 8, 2019, 02:13 PM   #83
fourbore

Ok, that was quick. Thank you.
Old September 9, 2019, 10:54 AM   #84
Mike Irwin
Staff

Aw... damn it...

I've wanted one of these for years.

And just a couple of days ago I agreed to buy a friend's .32 Hand Ejector I frame second model...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 10, 2019, 08:45 PM   #85
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh God you guys stink...

I just bought one from Classic...

And I'm still buying my friend's .32 Hand Ejector...

Old September 10, 2019, 09:11 PM   #86
jglsprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Oh God you guys stink...

Glad to be of service...

Never happened if you don't post a picture...

Buy an 84 barrel and magazine and for another $225.00 bucks you have another gun.

Commas save lives...
Old September 11, 2019, 07:30 AM   #87
jar

Quote:
Oh God you guys stink...

An 81 or 81BB?
Old September 11, 2019, 08:17 AM   #88
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not a clue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old September 11, 2019, 04:15 PM   #89
jar

Quote:
Not a clue.

Well keep us posted when it arrives.
Old September 13, 2019, 10:01 PM   #90
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh boy! It should make it to the gunshop tomorrow by 4:30...

Of course it closes at 5.

But it's open on Sunday!

Old September 14, 2019, 07:08 AM   #91
GarrettJ

I ended up buying one of these things as well. I can’t think of a single reason why I would need one. But I fall for “that looks fun” all too often. Now I’m debating if I want to go to the expense of getting a threaded barrel and shooting it suppressed.

I bought mine through Gander Outdoors, and was able to have it shipped to their local store for pickup.

Overall it’s in pretty good condition. Finish is almost perfect. Unlike some who report theirs looked unfired, mine had obviously been used. The barrel was fouled with gunpowder residue, but it cleaned up with just a couple of wet patches.

I was able to get to the range just before dusk and put a box of 71 gr. Aguilar FMJ through it, which functioned perfectly.

I was shooting at 5, 10, and 15 yards. I’ll have to get out when there is decent light and back up a little farther, but getting hits at typical handgun distances was no trouble.

I like the size and feel in the hand. I realize I could get the same in .380, but I’ve intentionally avoided getting anything in that caliber. I load a lot of 9x19, and I hate when a piece of .380 brass finds its way in with my 9mm brass.

Here’s mine with its U.S.-made cousins. I’ll have to shoot it side by side with the 3032 Tomcat next time and compare.

Old September 14, 2019, 09:34 AM   #92
HBoswell

Just ordered my second one. Like GarrettJ, I ordered this one from Gander. It's the updated 81BB model with a few upgrades, like better sights. That was my only problem with the first one, small sights and old eyes. The indoor range doesn't have the best lighting. I also did a little checking around for a decent price on ammo. Tried to find Fiocchi and had no luck and what I did find locally was $18-$25 a box. Ouch! Searched on-line and found it for $13 at Sportsman's Guide with free shipping. Bought all they had (16 boxes) and 4 boxes of Aguilla for the same price.
Old September 14, 2019, 11:47 AM   #93
Granite28

Quote:
Originally Posted by libiglou View Post
Damn I want this gun bad and its at a great price to boot. My problem is here in NY 12 round mags are a no no. Anybody know were I can get a 10 round mag?
Put a couple of empty casings under the magazine spring and tell Gov. Cuomo to kiss it!
Range Safety Officer
Old September 14, 2019, 09:18 PM   #94
burrhead

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 15, 2019, 08:47 AM   #95
tarhealcracker

Do I infer correctly that this Beretta 81 is a DA/SA gun?

Whatever it is , it is a classic looking piece of machinery.
Old September 15, 2019, 09:39 AM   #96
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhealcracker View Post
Do I infer correctly that this Beretta 81 is a DA/SA gun?
That is correct.
Old September 15, 2019, 03:00 PM   #97
DavidAGO

Well, dang it. I got mine in Saturday morning. It looks like it is unfired, two very small rust spots on the slide, but otherwise very little wear.

Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble it. the take down lever works just fine, but the slide will not move forward. sounds like it is hitting solid metal. Not going to take a hammer to it.

all the controls are heavy, there is fuzz inside. guess I get to call classic tomorrow

David
Edit: hour and a half later, I got the slide off by putting in the mag and releasing the slide release, that jarred it loose. I see no sign that the pistol was ever fired but it has to have been the dirtiest pistol I have ever bought, and almost all my firearms were bought used. Dried up oil, some type of fuzz was all in it. The tight slide was because of a burr on the rail the barrel slides into. It was the whole length of the slide and looks to be a manufacturing leftover, not because of galling.

No, I did not take a dremel to it; I have all sorts of slipstones so I removed the burr with that.

so it does not need to go back, it probably needs a lot of shooting. it is pretty stiff. Hope it breaks in fairly fast, I only have about 200 rounds of .32.

Last edited by DavidAGO; September 15, 2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old September 15, 2019, 03:08 PM   #98
Mike Irwin
Staff

Got mine today. Some rust, some wear, but overall not bad.

Old September 15, 2019, 03:52 PM   #99
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAGO View Post
Well, dang it. I got mine in Saturday morning. It looks like it is unfired, two very small rust spots on the slide, but otherwise very little wear.

Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble it. the take down lever works just fine, but the slide will not move forward. sounds like it is hitting solid metal. Not going to take a hammer to it.

all the controls are heavy, there is fuzz inside. guess I get to call classic tomorrow

David
Try a couple things first. With the lever in the take down position rack the slide several times letting it snap forward forcefully. Do it over a soft surface and see if the slide does not simply come off. Make sure there is no magazine inserted when trying that.

Often old gunk and dried grease makes it lock up.
Old September 15, 2019, 03:59 PM   #100
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Make sure there is no magazine inserted when trying that.
Check this first. I’ve had the slide hang up on more than one occasion, only to realize the mag was still in, and hat was what was hanging it up.