The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2019, 08:28 AM   #1
stagpanther

9mm at 2500 fps?

Decided to take a break from all my rifle shooting and have some handgun fun, haven't really done anything with my lone wolf timberwolf frame since I bought it, and decided to try out some 65 gr inceptor composite bullets. Years ago I had Lone Wolf custom make a 7.5" 9x 25 Dillon barrel for me--I recently called them and asked them if they could make another but they said they have no plans to re-introduce them.

Bummer.

My labradar had a hard time tracking these bullets, sometimes acquiring and sometimes not. Using AC 7 I was getting loads that averaged over 2400 fps, the last load I was able to record was at 2475 fps before I couldn't track any more. No pressure signs or case expansion.

I don't shoot handguns much and my technique sucks--besides which I can't see front or back sites well--so I know a better shooter could achieve much better results. I'm not entirely sure the cermanic composite bullets can handle being driven fast--I have some lehigh bullets coming in and will see if that makes a difference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65 inceptor.jpg (126.8 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1788.JPG (106.3 KB, 626 views)
Old June 28, 2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Cool info. What is recoil like at that velocity?
Old June 28, 2019, 10:09 AM   #3
stagpanther

The upper end loads feel about the same as a moderately strong 10mm; but still not as much as a full-power thumper. Mind you I don't do timed full mag dumps--might be different then.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 28, 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 28, 2019, 10:34 AM   #4
reddog81

I'm assuming you switched the Labradar over to the rifle setting right?
Old June 28, 2019, 10:43 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm assuming you switched the Labradar over to the rifle setting right?
Of course--it's "grey zone" happens at around 1700 fps where I switch to rifle for pistol cartridges. My unit got blown over the other day while shooting in strong windy conditions--maybe that knocked something loose--I hope not.
Old June 28, 2019, 10:56 AM   #6
reddog81

I assumed as much but you never know... Mine has issues some days and works just fine other days.
Old June 28, 2019, 11:06 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
I assumed as much but you never know... Mine has issues some days and works just fine other days.
I've been using mine for years--99.9% of the time if it has a problem acquiring it's either due to inappropriate muzzle position or not having the beam in a good "intercept" alignment relative to the target and projectile trajectory. I couldn't live without it now for my reload development. : )
Old June 28, 2019, 10:49 PM   #8
gbclarkson

Hey Stagpanther, you're 1 post away from 6000!
Old June 28, 2019, 11:23 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm guessing that those bullets have a lower radar signature than solid metal bullets would have.
Old June 29, 2019, 04:26 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm guessing that those bullets have a lower radar signature than solid metal bullets would have.
That's what I'm guessing too--sometimes it will track and log all distances out to the target with the composite bullet--and then the very next shot, without touching or moving anything, spit out a failed to acquire error.
Old June 29, 2019, 04:31 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
Hey Stagpanther, you're 1 post away from 6000!
Time to see a shrink?
Old June 29, 2019, 09:27 AM   #12
greentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
First thing I was thinking - "stealth" bullets lol
Old July 6, 2019, 12:16 AM   #13
HisSoldier

Radar Chronograph? Learn new things every day
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.