The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
kflach
Registration in progress

Holy Black vs. Plastic

My BP Starter Kit from Cabelas came with a plastic flask. I'm going to pick up some of The Holy Black tomorrow and it occurred to me that it's supposed to be highly corrosive. Is there any problem storing it in a plastic flask, or should the plastic flask be used only for BP subs, like the APP that Cabelas also sold me?

What about a plastic funnel - is that a bad idea?
Old July 24, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Dave Markowitz

Plastic is perfectly fine for storing BP.

BP fouling is hygroscopic, which means it'll absorb water from the atmosphere. THAT is what makes it corrosive to ferrous metals.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
kflach
Registration in progress

Thanks!
Old July 24, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Hawg

Unfired powder isn't corrosive. Fired powder residue is but not nearly so much as most people believe.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
ClemBert

Generally, as a rule of thumb, a lot of people will say "don't store your BP for long periods in a flask". Beats me...I don't own one. Is a flask not as airtight as a can? BTW, I seem to recall there are at least a couple of brands of BP that are sold in plastic containers....like Swiss? I use a plastic funnel to put the left over powder back in the can. Problem? I have not encountered one yet.

Last edited by ClemBert; July 24, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old July 24, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
kflach
Registration in progress

I plan on using the flask just for taking powder to the range. I'll store the BP in the can it comes in.

The flask I have appears to be quite airtight.
Old July 24, 2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Is a flask not as airtight as a can?

Most aren't, especially the original designs. BP is somewhat hydroscopic meaning it pulls moisture out of the air so you need to store it in a container that is airtight or close to it. I have an old heavy brass CVA flask that I keep powder in for long periods with no ill effects and I doubt it's completely airtight.
Old July 24, 2009, 02:17 PM   #8
armedandsafe

I store my range powder in my custom powder horns. I recently found a reject horn with about half a pound of sub. Still good after a couple of years.

Pops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46478699.jpg (29.7 KB, 68 views)

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 24, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Hawg

That's a mighty nice looking reject.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Noz

The flasks are not totally air tight. Doesn't seem to be a problem unless the flask itself is directly exposed to rain.
Most of the plastics used in the "black powder" suppliers containers is listed as non-static plastic. The Cabelas plastic flask with the rubber cap is as airtight as is possible. I would not worry about storing powder in it. I use one as an emergency powder supply in case I run out in a match.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:46 PM   #11
arcticap

There are plastic funnel top replacement tops that are made to fit black powder and substitute powder containers. They have a snap cap attached by a strap at the top.
The replacement tops do make it easier to carry the entire can to the range to add to the flask as needed.
That way, the contents of the flask will be used and not put back into the main can to contaminate it with moist powder, especially APP.
Some places have really high humidity.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:50 PM   #12
kflach
Registration in progress

That funnel top attachment is a good idea. I may have to look into those. I'm also considering looking at getting a flask with a measuring top. Right now I have to pour out of the flask into my measuring container and from that into the chamber. I'm sure that'll get old after a while.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Hawg

Never load directly from a flask. All it takes is one hot ember to turn a flask into a grenade. It's an unlikely event with a revolver but why take a chance.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:24 PM   #14
kflach
Registration in progress

Ah. Good point. Thanks.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:35 AM   #15
longranger

I gave up the powder horns/flask for powder.What I found that works very well is 1/4 oz. glass vials with corks.They will hold 120grs. of B/P. I put them in MTM plastic 12ga shotgun box', they will hold 25 vials.I measure out loads at home I do not have spend time at the range messing around with horns and flask'.I spend more time shooting.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Mike OTDP

There's a whole lot of tubes for pre-measured charges. Medical tubes for stuff like blood samples work well...and are cheap. And if you are shooting pistol, try Speer shot capsules. The .38 caliber shot capsules are good for ~17 grains, the .44s are good for ~25 grains. Very convenient.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:42 AM   #17
grymster2007

Maybe something like these would be nice for pre-loaded charges:

Cleartec
Old July 31, 2009, 09:49 AM   #18
robhof

robhof

My brother and I had a B/p cannon in the 1960's and we forgot about it since the 70's. we found it a short while ago with a flask of powder 30+ years old. Loaded up 100gr and wad; fired just fine, powder was in plain brass flask, cannon and flask with fuses was stored in wooden ammo box in basement in Florida for over 30 years.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:02 AM   #19
kflach
Registration in progress

If I read your post right, you're using these Speer capsules to pre-measure loads of black powder to pour directly into the chamber. Is that correct?

Do these capsules have ends that can easily be opened for pouring? They look like some kind of 'shotgun shell' instead of something with a pouring spout. I suppose you could put some kind of funnel into the chamber to make it easier to avoid spills.

Would they be legal in SASS or NCOWS matches?

The idea of having pre-measured quantities of BP that can be easily poured in the field is intriguing. I know that's what they were accomplishing with the old paper cartridges.
Old July 31, 2009, 10:07 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Would they be legal in SASS or NCOWS matches?
I dunno bout NCOWS but with SASS you load powder and ball between matches at your gun cart so you can use whatever you want. You just load the caps at the loading table.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:41 AM   #21
robhof

robhof

The shot capsules are sized to fit in the end of the barrel when the attached cap is snapped open and the ball is in the opposite end and is pushed in with the starter through the capsule into the waiting patch, or lubed minni just pushed in.
Old August 3, 2009, 12:13 AM   #22
Fairshake

Location: Livingston, La. about 20 miles East of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Bp loading

Check out Track of The Wolf for your BP needs
Old August 6, 2009, 05:05 PM   #23
gunner269

If you're shooting a match under MLAIC rules, all your powder has to be dispensed from pre-weighed containers. This is for safety, as someone has already stated, a flask can become a hand-grenade if there are burning embers in either barrel or cylinder.