The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 12, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
gunner4391

CCW with bp

Ok, I'm in college but am not yet 21. I hate the feeling of going around unarmed at certain locations near my college and wish I could carry a gun. At home I have an 1862 Navy that i load and then unload about once a week because I am allowed to own a bp pistol at 18. Now, do you think that I should be allowed to get my CCW permit and carry my bp gun with me even though I'm not 21?

By the way, I'm not asking if it's legal because I already know that it isn't, but I wanna know your opinion on the matter.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
CaptainCrossman

opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans- if it's illegal to carry until age 21, then this a moot thread- don't carry until then, or you'll end up with a gun violation on your permanent record. Why keep unloading the gun, load it, put it away, and rely on it IN YOUR APARTMENT for self defense, and you're within the law. DON'T carry it around outside.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
AirForceShooter

In Florida over 18 under 21.
No CCW for you, sorry.
You can keep the gun in your car and home.

Keep your powder dry.

AFS
Old July 12, 2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Don H

I wasn't aware that Florida prohibited people over the age of 18 from buying a modern cartridge handgun. There isn't a federal law against it - you just can't legally buy the handgun from a FFL.
Old July 12, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
comn-cents

Yes there is a federal law saying that you have to be 21 to purchase not only a handgun but also handgun ammunition.
Old July 12, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Don H

Federal law states that a FFL may not sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 21. There is no federal law that states that a person between the ages of 18 and 21 may not purchase a handgun from a private party.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:50 PM   #7
gunner4391

Ok, first of all, W.T.Sherman, again I wanted comments on if people in the forum thought that I should be allowed to. I would never carry if I wasnt allowed to because guns mean to much to me and I never want to lose them. Now as for the whole cartridge handgun issue, in the state of Florida if you're under the age of 21 you cannot buy a cartridge handgun, but you can buy the bullets because I have a '94 in 45 colt and I get my ammo from a local gun shop no problem and I've even gotten from Gander Mountain.
Old July 12, 2009, 10:25 PM   #8
MacGille

Gunner, please get some training in shoot no shoot before you even think about carrying a gun. I can't think of any action that could have more of an effect on your life than shooting another human being. And, that is the ultimate goal of carrying a firearm i.e. defending yourself at the cost of another's life.

I have carried a gun since I was 21 ( I am 70). However, I am an ex policeman, a veteran of three branches of the military, and have had years of training in all sorts of situations.

You will have opportunity to learn more and experience more in life. Don't be in a hurry to put yourself in a position that can bring disaster to your life. Don't carry until you are legal, and get training before you carry.

Lecture ends.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old July 12, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
mykeal

Interesting question.

We (society) have already explicitly stated that you are 'old enough' to operate a lethal weapon without adult supervision on a routine and daily basis, this in spite of overwhelming statistics that say your age group is the most deadly while doing so. I'm speaking, of course, about driving a car.

We do require specific training before granting this license, and testing as well, although there is some question about the effectiveness of such training and testing. It is required, nonetheless, and it certainly does do some good.

I guess that based on the evidence I'd have to conclude that you should be granted license to carry, but that a more comprehensive training course and test than that currently required for CCW be implemented first, one at least as long and in depth as driver training. And, we as a society would have to be willing to accept the increased amount of injury and even death that would inevitably occur (just as it does for vehicle accidents).

Or perhaps we should raise the age limit for driving...
Old July 12, 2009, 11:32 PM   #10
tdmoparguy

gunner4391 I too am under 21 and also believe we should be able to defend ourselves. Especially with some of the freaks we got runnin around my neck of the woods.
P.S. Good luck getting a straight answer on here.
Old July 13, 2009, 05:36 AM   #11
mykeal

He didn't ask for a straight answer; he asked for opinions, and that's what he's going to get.
Old July 13, 2009, 02:40 PM   #12
gunner4391

Ok, I'm with tdmoparguy, please give me a straight answer...do you think Some one over the age of 18 but under the age of 21 should be allowed to carry a concealed bp gun. Again, I DO NOT CARRY!!!! I am simply wondering if we should be allowed to, I feel that since I'm able to fight in a war and carry a gun daily I should be able to in everyday life. Also, I have had fine firearm training in the past...I do IDPA and SASS. Also, I believe that I have a better chance of getting into a situation where I would need a firearm to defend myself, what with a bunch of drunken idiots and all the seedy locations around colleges, at least a lot more then a lot of other people do.
Old July 13, 2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think someone over the age of 18 should be allowed to carry, period.

You can join the military and die for your country but you can't drink beer or carry a gun.... unless you're using that gun to kill people your government tells you to kill.... but then you go back home and everyone else your age can't carry a gun?

Stupid is what that is.
Old July 13, 2009, 03:55 PM   #14
mykeal

It's not stupid at all. In the military you are highly trained and supervised. Operating a weapon under those circumstances is not unreasonable.

Allowing that same age group to act untrained (or at best very minimally trained) and unsupervised with a lethal weapon in a stressful situation is not a good idea at all, 'fair' or not.

Any generalization about an entire age group is bound to be inaccurate as there are certainly plenty of examples of behavior on both ends of the spectrum to illustrate any point of view. But our experience with driving (see my earlier post) says that the 18-21 year old group will have a higher incidence of poor decision making in situations where using a gun might come into play. That's simply because of less experience and less developed interpersonal skills - facts that are well documented.

Some 18 year olds are quite capable of carrying responsibly. Some are not. Some 50 year olds are quite capable of carrying responsibly. Some are not. The group of capable 18 year olds is, percentage wise, much less than the group of capable 50 year olds, simply because they are more emotional and less experienced at dealing with problems and stressful situations.

Personally, I'm not opposed to allowing 18 year olds to carry. BUT, and this is a big BUT, we have to be willing to accept a higher incidence of deadly mistakes being made as a result. Can we, with all the anti-gun forces spring loaded to take carry rights away from everyone, afford that?

Not an easy decision.
Old July 13, 2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Wildalaska

Quote:
do you think Some one over the age of 18 but under the age of 21 should be allowed to carry a concealed bp gun
No. Statistically and common sense wise, modern under 21 year olds arent mature enough to be granted legal permission to carry.

They shouldnt be allowed to drive either except under limited circumstances

Wildandtrustmeiwasasbigafoolasanyother21yearoldAlaska ™

Youth is wasted on the young
Old July 13, 2009, 05:37 PM   #16
tdmoparguy

In case you were wondering when I said good luck getting a straight answer I wasn't being a 20 year old smartass kid. I accidentally asked a similar question on Gunbroker.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=349591
Old July 13, 2009, 05:56 PM   #17
mykeal

tdmoparguy - I don't see your point, either in your first post or this latest one.

On the gunbroker forum you got a straight, accurate answer with the very first post. You also got a bigmouth neanderthal who intentionally misread the question so he could babble. Why do you take the latter example to be typical and suggest that a straight answer was not to be forthcoming? Why not instead take the first answer to your question and ignore the babble as irrelevant.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:19 PM   #18
simonkenton

Now, do you think that I should be allowed to get my CCW permit and carry my bp gun with me even though I'm not 21?

By the way, I'm not asking if it's legal because I already know that it isn't, but I wanna know your opinion on the matter.

Without a doubt, you ought to be able to carry concealed, if you are 18 or over.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:39 PM   #19
Don H

States such as Maine that allow 18 year-olds to have CCW permits don't seem to be having any problems as a result of their policy. If someone here can demonstrate with verifiable data that a permitted person under the age of 21 is less safe with their firearm than someone over the age of 21 is, I'd certainly like to see that evidence. Lacking that evidence, the objections are just more "blood in the streets" hysteria, with no basis in fact, that is no different than what the antis babble on a regular basis.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Wildalaska

Quote:
If someone here can demonstrate with verifiable data that a permitted person under the age of 21 is less safe with their firearm than someone over the age of 21 is, I'd certainly like to see that evidenc
e.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/vagetab.htm

Analyze away, if any of you think that young males ARE NOT associated with higher levels of aggression, less impulse control, less rationality, higher levels of risk taking, etc, I can suggest some literature on the subject for you.

And yes there are some responsible 19 year olds, but thats not the point is it.....

WildteenagewastelandAlaska ™
Old July 13, 2009, 08:13 PM   #21
w_houle

Graduated high school at 17, joined the army. Stationed at Ft. Drum, NY. and I couldn't even get a drivers license without my parents permission let alone be able to buy firearms (or smoke and drink). Yes, having one standard for becoming an adult would be wonderful... But that's for another forum.
(Disclamer: Don't break the law)
Not a particularly practical form of self defense. I'm guessing you mean 1861 Navy. I had one but wasn't impressed with the performance of the .36 cal. If you find yourself in a situation where this had to be pressed into service then the best I can suggest is to get very familiar with it. A conversion cylinder would be my best suggestion for it.
Edit: or 1862 police?

Last edited by w_houle; July 13, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:28 PM   #22
ninjatoth

Yeah,21 to buy handgun ammo and 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL here in Michigan.18 from a private seller.Walmart always asks now when you buy .22 ammo if it is for a handgun or rifle,how dumb.I get asked that alot cause I look 19 even though i'm 29.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:49 PM   #23
Don H

Quote:
Quote:
If someone here can demonstrate with verifiable data that a permitted person under the age of 21 is less safe with their firearm than someone over the age of 21 is, I'd certainly like to see that evidenc

e.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/vagetab.htm

Analyze away, if any of you think that young males ARE NOT associated with higher levels of aggression, less impulse control, less rationality, higher levels of risk taking, etc, I can suggest some literature on the subject for you.

And yes there are some responsible 19 year olds, but thats not the point is it.....

WildteenagewastelandAlaska ™
Actually, the question relates to young people, male and female, who qualify for permits at age 18, not the general male populace in that age group. There is a fair amount of data available that depicts CCW permit holders, as a group, to be more law-abiding than the general populace. Is there any evidence that indicates that this does not hold true for those who are granted a permit at age 18?
Old July 13, 2009, 10:02 PM   #24
Wildalaska

Quote:
There is a fair amount of data available that depicts CCW permit holders, as a group, to be more law-abiding than the general populace.
Such a statistical correlation would be farcical

Unlike the correlation between youth and violence

WildtryagainAlaska TM
Old July 14, 2009, 08:41 PM   #25
gunner4391

Wildalaska, you have shown me a table that shows the last 20 years or so of history of violence in different age groups...why don't you go back and look around a little and notice that although the 20-24 age group has less violence in many of the years, there are some where they have more, and there are many where the diffenece between the two groups is very minor. Also, there is the whole process and test and payment to get your ccw, so how many of us "unresponsible teens" do you think would actually take time out of our lives to go to the classes and take the exam? Honestly, most of those crimes were most likely committed by teens that would never go through the process to get their ccw. If youre a law abiding citizen that is over the age of 18 and you want to carry then you will go get your permit and you most likely know the risks of using your firearm against someone, but if you're not a law abiding citizen then you're going to get a gun off of a crack dealer off the side of the road and mug a law abiding teen who isn't armed because he is following the law.

Also, to whoever was talking about the black powder not being effective, I don't think that persperation is going to be that big of a factor and I'd use a wells fargo model 1849 with a modified 3" barrel...not the best caliber but better then a 4" pocket knife.