The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: What is the best Production Handgun for IPSC?
Glock - 17, 19, series 53 31.36%
Springfield XD9, 4 inch, 5 inch 29 17.16%
Beretta 92 series 7 4.14%
Browning HP 4 2.37%
Walther P99 2 1.18%
CZ 75 30 17.75%
FN DA 9mm 1 0.59%
Other gun 43 25.44%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2, 2008, 04:11 PM   #26
Bob Hostetter

My choice would, be, and is, the XD. Take you pick, either the standard model or the "M" model
Old September 2, 2008, 08:36 PM   #27
OnTheFly

Bob Hostetter,

I see you put something over the grips of the XD(M). What is that and why? Were the grip serrations too exaggerated to be comfortable?

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old September 3, 2008, 05:48 PM   #28
Bob Hostetter

Actually the stock grips weren't aggressive enough. The material I covered them with is commonly called 'Skate Board Tape" and is kind of like sandpaper, very coarse grit sand paper.

If you take a look at the tactical 9mm XD you will notice the grip has been sanded down and recontoured, stippled and then resealed with exopy.

Same basic thing, just a different way of getting to the same place. I like a very aggressive surface on the grips of my pistols.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #29
vetts1911

Smith & Wesson M&P

I like the M&P 9 for SSP and Production. I was a Glock 34 shooter for a long time. I think the longslide model will be my next production gun for a few years.
Old September 12, 2008, 12:50 AM   #30
rhgunguy

First off, the BHP is not legal in production since it is SA. Personaly I love my CZ-75 for production. Sometimes for fun i bring it out and shoot it just for giggles to compare scores with my G35.

Dux, honestly some of the best "advice" I ever got about this sport is, "It takes a long time to get bad". Don't feel bad about second to last. I zeroed my first classifier because my CZ held 15 rounds and I saw no reason to reload six shots through a stage . Learn ALL the rules, talk to good shooters(you will know soon enough who they are) and HAVE FUN.

One final thing, if you want a certain gun-for whatever reason-buy it. If you do not, you will end up buying a bunch of cheaper guns that are just a little better than the last. My evolution was CZ-75, SA XD-40 Tac, Para 14.45 Limited, Glock 35, STI Open.

However, I do not always follow my own advice. Granted, I like to shoot Limited, and I realy wanted an STI Limited gun, I bought the open, because I knew eventualy I would want the open gun. For once I was right!
Old September 12, 2008, 10:39 AM   #31
Torontogunguy

Well, flip. flip. flip. flop.

North of the 49th. IPSC shooters with Glock 34/s and 35's will find that they are not on the production list of approved guns; hence they become "standard' class guns. Phooooey. If I am shooting standard class, my Para P1640 is also standard class as it is a 1911 style. So, short answer to first part of my response is that I much much much prefer the Para P1640. I love it. Almost two thousand rounds through it. Dead accurate. Great to shoot. Not a single malfunction and the trigger is spot on for me right from the box. I just bought a second one for my 15 year old son who is also an IPSC shooter and we both shot our qualifier match last weekend without shooting ourselves in the foot. He used his 9mm Glock 34 Standard Division and I used my Para P1640 Standard Division. I want to get away from the Glock (for his sake) as I am leary of a gun without a 'real' safety or decocker (although with a decocker I've seen some with a 12 pound initial trigger pull). I am babbling.

For PRODUCTION division there are a ton to choose from and they are all on a nice neat list.... we have several and I am going to play with them all. Sig 226, Walther P99. Lots in 9mm and .40 for major class... And now I have seen a gun that I simply must have. Twice in fact. At the range I saw a fellow setting up the sights on his CZ SP01 SHADOW. Second target to verify the sights. He punched out the ten ring. One big hole. I have spoken to three fellow IPSC shooters who have been in the sport for some time, two are instructors. They both shoot the CZ Shadow for production in 9mm. And there go I and son Andrew.

So now we are set up for Standard Division, Production Division and then we have an eye on all of those lovely OPEN division guns, the STI's and SVI's and so on. With lovely red dot scope sights. Adjustable triggers. Or trigger jobs. (Had one guy nicknamed "Machine Gun Kelly" at our last match as his trigger job was a little TOO smooth. DQ of course. And then there is revolver division, for which we are already set up as well with S&W 686 from the custom shop with Witchita front sights and the whole nine yards.

Now... the question is... how the heck does one choose what category to shoot in? Truth is they are all attractive for various reasons. Not only that but we saw an IDPA match two weeks ago and I loved the looks of that too! Different holster is all we need as the Ghost holsters are not permitted. But I believe that any one of the firearms that we are using is okay for IDPA.

Our next investment is in the CZ SP01 Shadow. Two of them of course. And a kit of wee spare parts and springs and things. Will report back once we have played for a while but from what I see, even though they are made overseas, they are an outstanding PRODUCTION gun. 9mm is cheap ammo too.

The more experienced I get the more I realize I don't have a clue. We are going to start clearing out the gunsafe to make room. Lots of Kimbers and so on that we just don't use any more. Lots of guns that are as new. Now I understand why I am being told to take my time choosing what I want to use. Trouble is we are having too much fun.

P.S. Anyone living north of the 49th. should be getting out to vote.... we have candidates up here who have openly called for a total handgun ban in Canada and a ban on ALL semiautomatic rifles should they be given a majority government to do so. We need to give our present government a majority so they can do away with the gun registry, etc. Get out to vote and take a friend or two. It makes a difference in the land of "sheeple". We are seriously thinking in terms of moving back stateside (I am a dualie) if they make a grab for our handguns. And heaven help us if BO is elected stateside. Kiss the Bill of Rights goodbye.
Old September 22, 2008, 05:39 PM   #32
.40S&W4me

I like the .40S&W coming out of a Springfield XDM. I like this platform for several reasons. It's easy to shoot, I can shoot several division in both USPSA and IDPA as wellas steel challenge. The aftermarkert parts haven't caught up up yet but thats ok. I am shooting an XD right now and love it. I have changed several things on it so that I can be competitive. I have a magwell from www.pistolgear.com and the other mods came from www.tacttec.com. The XD is in .40, I download for production and IDPA.
Old September 23, 2008, 10:58 AM   #33
WESHOOT2

I am not evolved

I shoot what I carry (except the 22s).
I don't care about maximizing the guns to the Division; I just shoot.
I win, regardless (okay, not in the Scoring portion, but definitely in the "I'm better than most bad guys" portion), especially in the "I'm having a riotous good time" section of competing.

A33102
Old September 23, 2008, 08:38 PM   #34
Torontogunguy

We are presently using the Glock 34 and 35; not production guns though... they are 'standard' division... and that's okay cuz they work well, are very reliable and have no safety to fiddle with. Also have two Para P1640's that we like a lot. Mostly I use them although I expect my 15 year old son to start using the other one as soon as he sees it. We are going to load 'light' 40's for it.... heavy enough to cycle it well though. Now am looking at the XDm's for production. Torn between 9mm and 40S&W. Whichever way we go it is going to be two of those as well. One of each of us. Time to start clearing the safe out and am going to start that next month when I am finished the course I am on and have some more spare time. Am also going to thin out the rifle herd... we have too many and seem to be moving up gradually to what we really want. So we are going to thin out the bottom end (We have a ton of .22's) and figure out what to do with all of the coach guns, lever actions, etc that we had intended to use for cowboy shooting, etc. And the trap guns. And the mini 14. I'd like to be able to figure out exactly what it is that we want and are going to use.... and having said that, was at a friend's the other day and he actually turned his cold cellar into a gun vault with a steel door.

So, our next investment, for the record, is going to be a couple of Springfield XDM's, probably in 40. They may not be the best but they are reasonable and they're on the list. If I win the lottery I am going for Tanfoglios I think.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:11 PM   #35
paradigm

IPSC Production vs USPSA Production

Hi all. I just got done with about two hours of research on this topic. For what it's worth, here are my findings.

IPSC Production:

Glock long slide models (34, ect) are too long for production.
Big difference here is that they distinguish between major and minor. Therefore, you can shoot a 9mm in IPSC production, but you'll be handicapping yourself. .40s rule here. Popular handguns include CZ SP-01 and Tanfoglio production models, and Glock .40s.

IDPA Production:

No distinction between major and minor, so 9mm rules here. You can shoot a .40, but it will be a handicap to yourself.
Popular guns are Glock 34s and CZ SP-01s
Old May 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #36
Hunter Customs

I voted for the CZ, I like the feel of the steel guns.
I shot some USPSA production division using a Para LDA 18.9, did quite well with it.
The Para would be my first choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 14, 2013, 11:37 AM   #37
RickB

Guys I know who are "1911 guys", among whom I count myself, like the feel of the M&P. A fellow traveler became heavily invested in the XD series, with a half-dozen of them among his family members, but they sold all of them and switched to the M&P, due to the trigger tuneability and the familiar feel.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #38
Don P

You folks do realize that the OP is approaching 8 years old
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #39
RickB

It looks like the thread gets reopened every three years, so it's due.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #40
WESHOOT2

evolving answer

Since Production Division is limited to specific listed guns, the answer changes.....
Old August 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #41
sDot

Just for the sake of it being a great day for zombies threads, I'm about to do my BB in a while and was looking for a gun I can dedicate to it.

Looking at some popular options I see the CZ SP-01 Shadow, or GLock 34/17 as options I would consider. I am not too familiar with the XD's and the fancier guns are out of my price range. I need to figure out quickly though. I guess on the CZ it's the safety and DA that might be something to get used to, otherwise I generally like steel guns.