The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 19, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Flow1

Should a sig p226 be my first gun for competions?

I am in the midst of purchasing my first hand gun, and am still up in the air about it. I'v shot several different types of guns, but the sig p226 seems to be my favorite. I like the wieght of it, and the trigger actions is nice too.

I guess my question is, is this a good gun to use in a tactical shooting contest, and also a bowling pin shoot? I would like to compete at a level with the rest.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Flow1
Old July 19, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Jim Watson

"Tactical shooting contest?"

Depends on the local rules. I know for sure that a P226 will do fine in IDPA SSP because I have shot mine there; probably ok for IPSC/USPSA Production, too.

Light bullets from 9mm or even .40 are at a disadvantage on bowling pins. The old Second Chance match ran a separate event for 9mm.
Doesn't mean you can't have fun and improve your accuracy. No point building up a flinch with a magnum if you don't get the hits.
Old July 23, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
9mm1033

Quote:
I would like to compete at a level with the rest.
I don't know about your shooting skills, but the P226 is approved for USPSA. I haven't seen any used at my local matches. Most I see in the Production class shoot Glocks, XD's, S&W, H&K or Beretta. I'd try the Sig and enjoy the course. If you want to compete at the same level as the Glock, XD shooters, that could be interesting. In fact, I'd enjoy seeing someone using a Sig outscore the other guns.
Old July 28, 2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Ignatz

Learning all the different rules, safety procedures, and knowing how to go through a stage efficently will be the Big goal in your first year. Even experenced shooters get DQ'ed and sent home for a safety infraction. Have fun with the Sig and if you feel you need something different down the road, trade it! Tomorrow morning around 9am, I'll be hearing those wonderful words...Shooter Ready?!.......625-7pc and loving it!
Old July 29, 2007, 02:17 AM   #5
FM12

#1: WELCOME to the forum, you'll enjoy your time here!
#2: I've carried a 226 on duty for about 17 years now, and never been dissapointed. First was in 9mm, now in 40 S&W.
I love the Sig pistols. You'll be pleased, I think. Go to a match if you can, and meet realy great people. Ask questions about the most popular guns they shoot, and ask advice. Might even get to shoot one or two! Better to try before you buy.
#3: Again, Welcome!
Old August 22, 2007, 10:47 AM   #6
zeroskillz

I'm partial to Sigs myself. I've carried a 229 for a long time now, and compete with it in IDPA. I think you'll enjoy the 226.

Also, I'm not sure where it stands in the competitions you're planning on participating in, but the 226 X-5 comes in four versions now, the least expensive being the All Around or Tactical models. The AA model is DA/SA and has adjustable sights, the Tac model is SAA and has fixed night sights Next in line price wise are the X5 Competition, and X5 Level 1.

I own and shoot the competition model and love it. They're real tack drivers. Regardless which 226 you go with, I think you'll be happy with it.

[blatant plug] I'm a Sig Direct dealer, so if you'd like quotes on any sig models, feel free to drop me a PM or email. [/blatant plug]

Good luck with the choice!
-Ted
[email protected]
Old August 27, 2007, 10:33 AM   #7
cryption

I'm starting to get into it with a P6. I don't see many sigs out there, like was said it's mostly glocks and XDs ... my dad and I hold it down with our 228 and P6 respectively.
Old August 29, 2007, 05:42 PM   #8
mr kablammo

Try posting your question over at sigforum.com too. I have seen some Sigs at the local USPSA match. There does not seem to be an disadvantage to the Glock/XD users. It's really about mental discipline, hand & eye, and fun.
Old August 30, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
eerw

Sigs do well..we have a couple of shooters with them.

we have one being shot by a master class USPSA shooter..
Old September 9, 2007, 12:39 AM   #10
45auto45

We have a couple guys at our shoots, with 9's. Only thing I've noticed is, the steel doesn't always go down when hit..
Old September 16, 2007, 06:11 PM   #11
NetJnkie

Sig 226 is a great USPSA Production class gun. Steel frame makes the recoil even less. My wife shot hers at her first match today.
Old September 20, 2007, 10:00 AM   #12
v65magnafan

I just started in defensive pistol competition. I decided to use my 9mm Sig instead of my Para SSP SA 1911 for these reasons:

While learning the game, the decocker and the DA first shot seemed less trouble than remembering to release the safety on a cocked and locked 1911. This is just my bias.

I wasn't sure about whether picking up my brass would be possible. So, I decided that sacrificing 9mm brass would be less of a financial drain than sacrificing .45 brass. As it turned out, picking up brass was no problem, just hard on my 61 year old back after a day of shooting.

The sight picture and easy recoil of the Sig enabled me to get -0 head and chest double taps fairly easily. But, I would guess that the Para would be just as effective.

Finally, don't worry so much about the gun. Worry about your shooting ability, your holstering ability, your ability to present from concealed.
I've seen the wrong holster mess up a shooter.

The best handgun for competition is the handgun you handle the most effortlessly. That might turn out to be the third or fourth handgun you own.

This has been my experience.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:17 AM   #13
jmorris

If you would like to compete at (or above) the same level as the rest, you might go and see what they are shooting. But, once you start you'll be buying other guns anyhow. For USPSA and IDPA, 1911’s (including STI and SVI double stacks) in 9mm, 40 & 45 are by far the most common. For SSP and production Glocks are the most prolific. SSR & ESR the 686 and 625 are most common.
Old September 22, 2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I use a P220 when I get a chance to get out there . . . . which is rare. There are times when I want a 1911, but I never quite buy one because I'm not trading the 220.