The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 22, 2018, 11:27 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Spotting Scope Help

I have a small and very cheap spotting scope I got through Kmart for $10. I know, I know. Now that I know better, I am looking to get a new one. At the moment, the range I go to it only goes up to 200yds, but there is a place I found that goes beyond 200yds.

Being ignorant about scopes, expensive scopes vs the cheaper scopes they do what they are suppose to but like everything they all have some type of limitations regardless of what one purchases. Right? Even the ones I have gotten a chance to view (Vortex models $500+ spotting scopes) and clear as they are, they must have some type of limitation as how far/clear one would be able to see the hole on paper?

There is one that I have seen many times on sale at Cabelas. It is a Herter's 20-60x60 spotting scope Which I have seen for at $50. As mentioned, I did get a chance to look through a $500 Vortex and a $1000 Vortex. I would probably be more geared to spend up to $500 but is it really necessary for using at the range only for up to 200+yds? Are certain models/spotting scopes good up to a certain range? Thanks in advanced.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Siggy-06

You can get a really nice pair of binoculars+tripod instead of a spotting scope. I use a nice pair when I do long range work.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:17 PM   #3
ninosdemente

What do you have? Have you found that binoculars work better than spotting scope?
Old May 22, 2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Siggy-06

I enjoy the binoculars more, being able to use both eyes, and they double for scouting while hunting. A pair of 10x42 or higher magnification depending on dostance should be good. A recommend a tripod to help reduce shake.

Nikon Aculon 16x50 Binoculars have a solid metal tripod attachment are are around $200ish. Lots of brands, prisms, lenses, coatings, ect to research.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:13 PM   #5
ninosdemente

Thanks for the help.
Old May 22, 2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Pahoo

They do come, in handy !!!

ninosdemente

There are times when I faced with the same distances and even though, most of the time I use binoculars/monocular, there are times when I use a spotting scope at a private range that has a 200yd range and soon to expand to 300yds. As you know, the higher the magnification, on anything the greater the lack of stability. I actually have two spotting scopes, one to 25 and the other, to 60. …..

Be Safe
Old May 22, 2018, 02:47 PM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino
There is one that I have seen many times on sale at Cabelas. It is a Herter's 20-60x60 spotting scope Which I have seen for at $50.
I use a cheap 20-60x60 on a heavy duty video camera tripod. I generally keep it at 20x and can easily find 22lr bullet holes at 100 yards.

The limit I run into is light transmission at high magnification. At 60x it gets quite dark and would be unusable on any but the brightest days. Whatever you get, you will need to attach it to something that doesn't wobble in the wind. That's a greater impediment to seeing detail than lense quality for me.
Old May 22, 2018, 04:28 PM   #8
ninosdemente

Thanks zukiphile.

Curious on those who do have better spotting scopes.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:24 AM   #9
bfoosh006

A few comments... try changing your target, to something that makes your hits more visible. Shoot N' See type targets will help a lot, even with lesser quality spotting scopes.

Or a painted steel target will allow spatters to be seen readily.

Even the best spotting scopes are subject to ground mirage... so rather then having the spotting scope parallel to the ground.. try to be looking "down" / from a higher tripod mounted spotting scope.. every little bit does help.

Ask if you can view the spotting scope outside... and look across a hot parking lot, you'll see all sorts of mirage.

So buy a decent Spotting scope, and accept some of the limitations in them. IMHO, most decent spotting scopes give you 90% clarity , etc of the much more expensive ones.

You might not have to see EVERY detail of the hit... just enough to know you hit... and that is something even your $10 scope can do.. just not as clearly.

Wait for some Memorial day sales... figure out what you are willing to spend, check one out ahead of time if possible... and wait, even Brownells will have something good on sale... Or a X$ off coupon / free shipping.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:47 AM   #10
ninosdemente

bfoosh006, thanks for your input. Actually I do have the shoot n see targets and can see with the $10 scope up to 200yds. But as you hit the nail, the clarity is the factor. But satisfactory for the moment.

Unfortunately, at the range we are limited to what we can use as targets and so far only paper is allowed.

As you stated also, not looking for the smallest detail as I just want to see where I hit as best as possible.
Old May 23, 2018, 05:07 PM   #11
jpx2rk

Google Celestron spotting scopes. I have a 20-60x80 and can see 223 holes at 200 yds w/o much trouble, but the mirage can play havoc for me at times.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:29 PM   #12
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
I have a small and very cheap spotting scope I got through Kmart for $10. I know, I know. Now that I know better, I am looking to get a new one. At the moment, the range I go to it only goes up to 200yds, but there is a place I found that goes beyond 200yds.

Being ignorant about scopes, expensive scopes vs the cheaper scopes they do what they are suppose to but like everything they all have some type of limitations regardless of what one purchases. Right? Even the ones I have gotten a chance to view (Vortex models $500+ spotting scopes) and clear as they are, they must have some type of limitation as how far/clear one would be able to see the hole on paper?

There is one that I have seen many times on sale at Cabelas. It is a Herter's 20-60x60 spotting scope Which I have seen for at $50. As mentioned, I did get a chance to look through a $500 Vortex and a $1000 Vortex. I would probably be more geared to spend up to $500 but is it really necessary for using at the range only for up to 200+yds? Are certain models/spotting scopes good up to a certain range? Thanks in advanced.
I always refer anyone interested in buying a spotting scope to this link. It is a pretty good read on what to expect a spotting scope to do based on the price and the power of the scope and what you want to see. Hope this helps.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/h...-shooting.html
Old May 24, 2018, 01:38 PM   #13
ninosdemente

Thanks for the info ms6852. Does help a lot.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:45 AM   #14
Scoits

Bought a Bushnell Sentry 20x fixed power in 1975. Also have a 32x extra eyepiece for it. Have used it hard and frequently over the years at the range and the size allows me to pack it hunting to back up my 10x40 binos.
Would buy it again—-says it all.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:36 AM   #15
Don Fischer

I've got an inexpensive 15-50 spotter. Paid $89 years ago at Sportsman's. Problem I have with it is locating what I want to see through it! With my 243'2, a 3-9x scope I cannot see holes with very well at all. Get up to 6.5 and above and holes get a lot easier to see. I had a Bushnell spoting scope years ago, a hundred and some dollar's. Loaned it to my horse shoe'r and never saw it again. I don't recall anymore anymore how mush trouble it was to find something through but the size and weight made it a pain to carry around hunting. I really don't miss it. Someday I'll probably get a better one than I have now but first I'd like a good use for it. I just started carrying Bino's around hunting several years ago, For that I like 8x max.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:48 AM   #16
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
Google Celestron spotting scopes. I have a 20-60x80 and can see 223 holes at 200 yds w/o much trouble, but the mirage can play havoc for me at times.
I went with a used Celestron C8 telescope with heavy tripod, with 50-200X magnification.
Mirage seems to be about the same to slightly better.
It wasn't much more than a midrange spotting scope, it's much bulkiner and more of a pain to setup and not easily moved, but a heck of a lot easier to see holes / hits at 600 - 2000 yards. It also has a camera that lets you watch the hits on an ipad.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 26, 2018, 12:39 PM   #17
BumbleBug

If you are studying trophies across a canyon or any other activity that requires long durations behind the eye piece, an expensive highest quality spotting scope you can afford is a must. They are also a joy to look through!

For spotting target bullet holes up to 200 yds, most inexpensive models will work just fine. I use a Meade 20-60x60mm Spotting Scope I bought on Ebay for about $80. My range is limited to 200yds & I can spot a gnat, if the mirage is not too bad!
Old May 27, 2018, 11:51 AM   #18
std7mag

I'm using the Celestron C70 Mini Mak.

While large in diameter, it is super light weight, good for packing when your walking miles.
Plus with the q.25 inch eyepiece you cal put different eyepieces on to change light transmission and magnification. A huge plus is the ability to use filters.
The yellow one really makes game stand out. The blue one helps cut down on glare at sunrise and sunset.

It is not "waterproof" but then i don't care as i'm not sitting in the pouring down rain to spot game. When at the range it is under roof when it's raining.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 27, 2018, 04:09 PM   #19
darkgael

Binos

Quote:
ave? Have you found that binoculars work better than spotting scope?
Well.....that depends on what you want. If you are looking for or need sheer magnification, then no. If you are looking for clear optics, light weight, waterproof and no need for a tripod, then yes. Canon IS (image stabilized) binos are top shelf and they really do eliminate the shake.
As good - better in one way - are the Fujinon Techno-Stabis....made for marine use, they will stabilize from a boat (or the back of a horse). Try that with your scope.
Have not seen any mention of Kowa scopes...the benchmark for spotting scopes.
Pete
PS....i have and did use a Celestron C90 for years. Very clear but bulky. Better for range work than field work
Old May 28, 2018, 08:28 PM   #20
ninosdemente

My brother purchased a Barska 20-60X60 and used it at a park yesterday. Kept it at 20power and the small sign I looked at was good to me. It looked as the signed was somewhere between 200-300yds. At least from my experience using the 200yd at range. But once I started using more power, the sign wasn't as clear as when I used 20 power. It seems, we should have no issues looking at 100 yds or even 200 yds.
Old May 28, 2018, 09:05 PM   #21
ms6852

Question still remains can you see a bullet hole. Heck we all can see a sign at 200 yards or a target at that distance with the naked eye and a cheap scope can really magnify it but but distinguishing bullet holes is another matter. I would at a minimum by a celestron, if not use shoot N C targets. Good luck.
Old May 28, 2018, 09:26 PM   #22
ninosdemente

At 100 yds I can see holes with my very cheap scope when shooting 30-06. Have difficulties with clarity at max power though. Will have to see hopefully next weekend if .223 or .22lr can be seen.

Wasn't specific. I was able to see numbers at 20 power fairly good. Was able to distinguish it. With naked eye, I was able to see the sign only as you stated.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:42 PM   #23
jpx2rk

I can only shoot out to 200 yds w/o jumping thru way too many hoops at my gun range/club, so my Celestron works pretty good for me. Larger caliber holes would be easier to see at 200 but don't have anything over 223.