The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 26, 2018, 11:12 PM   #1
HiBC

Gru-Bee Wolf Pup copy 3/4 tube Redfield

Denver Redfield used to make a nice 3/4 in tube 22 scope.
I have an original with no reticle.
These show up on e-bay generally in the $200 to $300 range.Keep in mind its for a used .22 scope made in the 70's,approx.
The objective and ocular bells are enlarged,I'd guess about 22 mm lenses.Maybe 24mm.
I saw this copy,the Gru-Bee Wolf Pup,on E-bay. $135 or so. Comes with tipoff rings. PCH,Duplex,or wide duplex.

Delivery was quick.
Unboxed,I'm smiling. I believe I got my money's worth.I'm not seeing any plastic.Turret covers are aluminum.
Finish and appearance are as nice a new old Denver Redfield.Rings and mounts are clean,not cheezy.
Optics look quite nice.
This is a whole different beast than the murky old straight 3/4 tube Weavers with 18 mm lenses.
FOV is spec'd at 18 to 20 feet at 100 yds. 1/2 MOA clicks.
I just clamped it on the rifle,a Marlin 15Y single shot youth bolt 22 for my grand kids.

This Gru-Bee outfit has a line of little Chinese engines to retrofit on Bicycles.
So,it seems he is connected for getting a product manufactured in China to his specs.
I speculate he is a shooter with a soft spot for this Redfield scope,and saw a market for a quality remake.He knew how to get it done.
This project would be (IMO) stupid if it was cheap junk. The market wants a nice scope. IMO,from what I can see at this point,its a faithful,quality replica.
Sweet!
Old April 27, 2018, 03:37 PM   #2
bamaranger

thanks

Hey, we've been looking for somebody to comment on the Grubee. There's another thread running somewhere on small scopes. A real turnoff for me is mounting a centerfire, big scope on a tidy, .22 like a Henry, a stock 10/22, or a Browning.

Your tone is very positive, and I am seriously thinking of getting one. What reticle did you get? .......the post and crosshair number is calling to me.
Old April 27, 2018, 07:38 PM   #3
HiBC

There is post and crosshair,duplex,and wide duplex.
While I really like the post and crosshair on my Lyman Alaskan,I bought the Duplex.
I want the Grandkids to have known size reticle features to reference for Kentucky windage and range estimation.......some time when they are ready.

IMO,a post gets in the way of holdover,and,in my experience,holdover comes in handy with a .22. But,thats just me! Enjoy what you like.

I can't tell you what you will like. But I'm glad I bought this scope.

We'll have to see how the adjustments work,etc.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:11 PM   #4
bamaranger

holdover

Most of my field use on a .22 is 50 yds and under. Holdover is not something I consider with most of my .22 shooting, especially in casual plinking. I can see the application, and the practicality with youngsters as well.

I must admit, I am a sucker for retro reticles like the post and crosshair. I even have several scopes set up with the 3-post German #1.

I learned of the Grubee several years back when it first hit the market, but have held off buying. I have a std. Henry lever that I could shoot much better if it had a tidy optic. I have one of the old 7/8" Bushnell Scopechiefs on it currently, but the reticle is way out of square....maybe it's the one piece mount. In any event, the Henry may get a Grubee soon.
Old April 26, 2021, 07:47 PM   #5
bulbboy

Here's what it looks like on my Browning SA-22. Great little scope!

Old April 27, 2021, 07:28 AM   #6
HiBC

Unfortunately,your image size does not fit the page. However,if I zoom out to 80% or 90%, I can see the scope.