The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 03:53 AM   #1
chris in va

A Hollywood question.

The more I watch movies, it makes me question a couple things.

We all know most actors are anti-firearm. My question, who or what agency is supplying production companies with Class 3 full auto (blank firing) weapons, and any way to put pressure on them to reconsider doing so? This also goes for handguns.

I was flipping channels the other day and came across a foreign language film, similar to Hawaii 5-O. Clearly the country of origin has a full gun ban, as the handguns used were crude plastic facsimiles and a cheesy flash of light was superimposed over the muzzle with accompanying jerk by the actor.

It wouldn't bother me in the least to have guns restricted or banned for movie companies in the same vein they are hoping to do with us. Heck, Barrett pulled out of CA completely when their 50 was banned.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:42 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

Are blank firing guns even considered machine guns? Do they even count as firearms?
Old January 6, 2013, 04:48 AM   #3
TripHlx

I can't really cite a source, but I have read in several places that blank firing guns (ONLY able to fire specially made blank cartridges) are not firearms, and are not regulated by the ATF. Stands to reason at that point that full auto or semi means little.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Guns for movies are supplied by a few rental companies geared specifically to the industry.

I believe there is a big one in NYC near Soho as well as the most famous one out West which is Stembridge.

These companies are licensed and given exemptions by their respective States (and the ATFE as well?) in order to supply guns for the movies. Otherwise, it would be illegal for some of the actors with felony convictions to handle them.

AFAIK most, if not all, are original guns that have been adapted for blank fire. Not as many cheesy ones as in years past. The rental companies employ machinists to 'build' custom models as needed. Of course, they also supply non firing guns as props as well.
Tight security is maintained at these businesses.
Most of the guns would require rebarreling at the least to be operational with live ammo.
Thieves aren't in the habit of burglarizing guns that need extensive machine work to fire.

There is no pressure that can be brought to bear against companies that do not do any business at all with the public.

Any anti-gun legislation ALWAYS makes exceptions for the movies.
The film industry is far too powerful in income generated in this Country to ever hear the word 'NO'.

Best you could do would be to attend a MGM or Universal stockholders meeting with your concerns.

Charleton Heston did just that at a Time/Warner meeting 12 years ago. Gave him some satisfaction, but no change in company policy in the long run.

JT
Old January 6, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
rickyrick

A local high school drama dept has prop guns. One was misplaced and caused some drama.

I always thought it funny for actors to protest things that made them millionaires
Old January 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
g.willikers

These days, movies could do it with airsoft for realistic looks and action, with computer graphics for the muzzle blast and other simulated realism, like case ejection.
Might be less expensive and surely safer for expensive folks who hate guns, and probably have little experience with them.