The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 3, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
OhioRugerFan

Newbie's wheel gun

So I want to pick up a wheel gun in the near future for plinking & Concealed carry, and I would like your input!
I am looking for something under $500 with internal hammer (preferably) , larger caliber than a .22 but not a 45.
I don't really care about the external finish, both blued and stainless is cool with me.
The wheel gun has to be light enough for daily carry, however, I am not looking for a piece with a big recoil.

Wow...I am being a PIA, ain't I?
Thanks

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (c) 1789 U.S.A.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Auto426

I'm not sure that there is an exact that will meet all of you wants out there.

Sounds like your ideal caliber is going to be .357/.38. You will also want something along the lines of a 3" barrel, since that is a good go between for plinking and for concealment. However, the internal hammer is that hard part. That is a feature found mostly on small pocket revolvers like the S&W J frames, which really aren't suited for plinking. The $500 price limit also really limits your choices.

I suggest you look into the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel in either .357 or the new .327 Federal:

It won't have an internal hammer, but the hammer can be bobbed. It's heavier than a pocket gun, which is great for plinking, but lighter than a service size gun, which is great for concealment. It will conceal best in a IWB holster. It will comfortably fire .357's for defense and shoot .38's with ease for plinking. In .327 Federal, it will hold 6 rounds (compared to 5 for .357/.38), will recoil less than a .357, but will still maintain energy on par with a .357. It's also under the $500 price limit.

I believe this is probably my next revolver purchase, and it sounds like it will fill most of your needs also.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
fisherman66

I agree the 38/.357 platform makes the most sense. Also, S&W makes a nifty 32 H&R Mag 6 shot in an airweight. I don't know what a used one would set you back, but I'd guess you could stay in budget.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Casimer

How about a bobbed hammer?
Old March 3, 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Look for a used Smith and Wesson Model 10. They are very good guns and because a bunch were made over the years the price is relatively low.

You should be able to find one for $300 on up.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
orchidhunter

Well with a double action only revolver you plinking will be at large things, till you put a lot of rounds down range. The best thing going is S&W's model 442 and the 642 for carry, but not much for plinking. orchidhunter
Old March 4, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
bumnote

I'd look for a used S&W 686 w/ a 4" barrel. 357/38, nice smooth DA pull, well made and accurate. It's a great range gun and works well for SD. It's not the lightest S&W or the heaviest, but it got enough weight to soak up some of the 357 recoil, w/ 38's not much in the recoil department.

(not mine)
Old March 4, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Playboypenguin

If you are wanting an internal hammer, to use it for CC, and shoot it at the range...all for under $500...your best bet would be to find a nice used S&W m640.

It is small and easy to carry but still sturdy enough to be a comfortable range gun. You can use .357mags in it for SD and shoot loaded down .38spl at the range (new models). Used ones can be found in the $400 range pretty easily and it has the internal hammer (DAO).

Old March 5, 2009, 05:54 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Smith 642 or 442. The choice is pretty easy.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:49 PM   #10
BlayGlock

I have a Taurus 85 UL w/ CT grips that I am fond of, it is my main carry. S&W have a nicer trigger IMO. Some people dont like Taurus for QC reasons. Personally my experience has been good with them, I have 4. The first S&W I bought I had to send back in to get it worked on, go figure.

My wife had a Taurus 605 that is here ccw, and he really likes it, it has been a good shooter. If you have bigger hands you will need to replace the stock grips.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Lolgasm

i second the guy above me, but dont get an ultralight titanium gun in a .357 caliber. not fun at all to shoot. a taurus snubby will cost you around 300-400 bucks and usually a m85 or the hammerless 850 is a good buy as its been tauruses bread and butter for the past twenty years or so. have only heard good things about the m85