The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2018, 12:32 PM   #26
dave7798801

I've had this one for several years and it's a decent light. Not nearly as bright as my Klarus XT11GT which is about the same size but it's in your price range and uses 3 AAAs.

https://www.amazon.com/Nebo-5620-Red...ebo+flashlight
Old June 11, 2018, 03:24 PM   #27
gwpercle

The two ancient small Maglites that I also had for decades, finally bit the dust.
While lite shopping I found brand new Maglites at Wally Mart. They look just like the old ones but with a better light. Not Arch of the Covenant Bright but a good usable brightness, not incandescent bulb ....maybe LED. The light is white and while brighter than the old , not blindingly bright like some. They turn on/off and adjust just like the old incandescent Maglites ...I don't think a new bulb is hidden in this one the battery compartment is different. But the bottom line is I liked the old maglites and I like the new ones better. $10.00 or $12.00 at Wally World.
Gary
Old June 12, 2018, 03:45 PM   #28
Winny

Second the Streamlight Microstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger
Pop a lithium aaa in it and you will be pushing to my eye about 50 lumens and your runtime is in the 4 hour range in my experience
They now make a rechargeable version that is 50 lumens (low) and 250 Lumen (high). Just double tap the light switch to switch modes

Incredible light for the size/ money. Battery stays strong for 250-500 charges (I plan to replace once a year).

The pocket/hat clip takes up very little room, I carry this light daily in a suit and nobody notices it!
Old June 12, 2018, 04:56 PM   #29
skywag

9 LED/ with batteries for $1.............at Walmart all the time. I buy one every time shopping. VERY convenient!!

Old June 13, 2018, 01:12 AM   #30
Cosmodragoon

I tried the Streamlight. I understand why some people like momentary but I prefer clicking on or off. The button reminds me of some of the more brutal double-action triggers out there.

After trying a few lights in the "2x AAA" category, I settled on the Klarus P20. It has three modes but it remembers your last mode so you get some control as to where it starts. (I'd prefer some kind of discrete hardware switch with an indicator but I haven't seen it offered.) The Nichia 219C in the Klarus P20 has a nice neutral glow that felt better on my eyes than a few other contenders. Colors look good and feel more dynamic than they do with some of the cooler white lights.

The P20 has a diffusing lens that trades a hot spot for excellent room illumination. It works well outside too. It should be no surprise that it doesn't throw a beam quite as far as some of the other models but it reaches out further than I expected. The amount of viewing distance lost is relatively small for the quality and quantity of light it provides in medium and high. The loss is most obvious in low mode versus the 3-4 lumen lows of some other flashlights. I'll be leaving it in medium mode.

Battery life seems good so far. The manual lists fifteen hours for medium and a whopping 193 hours for low. That's probably for standard AAA and I'm using Eneloops that should run a little longer. High mode only lasts about a half hour though. Just from playing around with it in the yard, I got to the point where high just looks like medium and both seem a little subdued. I think high will be for emergencies. Speaking of, this penlight has the best grip texture of those I've tried and the clip is better too.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:32 AM   #31
Ricklin

Dislike 3 AAA flashlights

I have a ton of flashlights, I am not a fan of 3 AAA batteries.

Low capacity and expensive. I just bought my "ultimate" headlight. It's primarily designed for bicycle riding at night.

The beauty of it is two 18650 Li-ion batteries. The battery pack is on the back of the headband, balances very nicely and comfy to wear for a long time. The battery holder has a USB micro for charging the 18650 batteries.
The battery pack can also take 3 AA batteries if desired.

Nothing is better for projects. Heck I can darn near ditch my glasses if I am using the headlight.
Old June 13, 2018, 02:07 PM   #32
Chainsaw.

Stream light micro stream for me as well. I refuse to carry trinkets on my belt. Drives me nuts, plus I'm already dorky enough. The micro disappears into my pocket, is plenty bright for anything I need that doesn't involve planning to bring the big flashlight. Also has a a 2 way clip that I can put on a shirt pocket, that points tge light to the ceiling giving a glow in a room. Can be useful. And they're cheap for when I lose em.
Old June 14, 2018, 12:49 AM   #33
KY_blkout

I use a flashlight or light in general on average about 4 hours or more a day in my line of work. My streamlight LED stinger finally after 5 years of rough and tough everyday use died last week. I seriously must have dropped it 1000+ times and was submerged in about everything you could think of.
Old June 19, 2018, 10:45 AM   #34
Tom-R2

Streamlight.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:01 AM   #35
Cosmodragoon

The Terralux Lightstar 80 is worth mentioning. As a single-mode penlight, it compares favorably with the Streamlight Stylus Pro. The 100-lumen Streamlight runs longer but the 85-lumen Terralux is easier on my eyes with its warmer, high CRI light. The clicky button doesn't take a megaton of pressure to fully deploy. The Lightstar also feels better in my hand. It balances extremely well in "cigar hold". In my hand, cigar hold naturally puts the rubber "bite guard" in just the right place for added traction and comfort. Like the Stylus Pro, the Lightstar 80 comes in a bunch of colors and costs around twenty bucks.

The only reason that the Klarus P20 beat it out for an EDC penlight is that the same feature giving it such a wonderful balance and easy hold also causes it to ride higher and less discretely in my shirt pocket. I'll be keeping the Lightstar 80 as a general purpose flashlight and I like it enough in that role that I'll probably buy a few more of them!
Old June 20, 2018, 05:52 PM   #36
RC20

Trendy but Helmet lighted bycicle lights are great.

Have to look at mine for name (Nightrider) , its dated, one push and light is on, drop 2 levels or hold in and it goes off. Turn it on and hold it and it will flicker.

https://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-677...er+bike+lights

Saw us through a 4 day power outage (got partial recharge when I ran the generator)

I don't like the tail end pushers, and this certainly not one of those. Maybe too many modes as well but nice to pick the light level output.

That said, I have had it for 5 years and it is still charging up like it was new.

I figure I saved what I paid for it in not buying batteries.

Last edited by RC20; June 20, 2018 at 05:59 PM.