The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 10, 2018, 01:20 AM   #1
labnoti

Holster with suspenders not belt?

I wear logger type carhartts with button-on suspenders. I have a flat 30" waist but I find that stiff gun belts interfere with my diaphragm and breathing and that suspenders are far better for load bearing.

I'm looking for a good way to carry an airweight J frame. Can't be too hard right? Front pocket holster is my fallback if I can't work out something that's faster to draw.

On my waistband, the suspenders are buttoned at 10:00, 2:00 and 6:00, but I'd like to carry at about 3:30 or 4:00.

With suspenders, there can be plenty of waistband for comfortable carry without my pants falling down. There's more than enough room for a larger revolver and there's plenty of support for the weight.

How can I get the holster fixed to the waistband so it doesn't just come out with the gun? It seems like clips are going to work better with a belt. I could sew the holster to the inside waistband, and retain it at the bottom with stitches or a rivet.

I'm curious how others carry who wear suspenders instead of a belt.
Old April 10, 2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Scoits

Try a Sticky or use a clip . Works for me with a 360 pd or other Js
Old April 10, 2018, 09:44 AM   #3
muzzleblast...

Since you don't wear a belt and you want to carry at 3:30 - 4:00 you'll likely need to use one of these:

https://www.ulticlip.com/
Old April 12, 2018, 12:51 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...30" waist..." HAHAHAHA. Nobody has a 30" waist. snicker.
"...interfere with my diaphragm..." Your belt shouldn't be anywhere near your diaphragm. Your diaphragm runs roughly along the bottom of your rib cage.
Suspenders are designed to stretch and will not hold a firearm's weight in place well enough.
An Airweight J frame should be light enough to work reasonably well with a clip on holster that clips directly onto your pants.
"...holster fixed to the waistband..." Isn't that you need to do. You need to wet form the holster with the revolver. You make the gun fit the holster better.
Old June 12, 2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Winny

Have you looked into the Utiliclip?

I haven't used one myself, but they would appear to work for your current rig, especially with the airweight j frame.

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/p...SABEgKBI_D_BwE