The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 21, 2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Murby

Help me choose a 1-4 scope

I'm looking for a 1-4 scope for my Colt LE6960 .. 5.56/16.1" barrel.

Wow there are a lot of choices and price ranges.. I'm not really interested in spending $2k but was thinking more like under $400 to $500 or so.

But I guess the real question here is the same as it applies to every other product. Every product market that has a wide range of price points seems to have a curve where price and performance maximize value.. Go too low on the curve and performance suffers too much, go too high on the curve and the increased performance is just not in line with the massive increase in price.

Then of course there's always the brand that seems to provide a bit more value than its place on the curve might suggest.

So I'm wondering, what is a good, middle of the road 1-4 scope that is found in the middle of the curve?

I see a lot of vortex fans.. gotta say I've never had good luck with stuff made in China.. maybe its a curse or something for me. Saw some youtube videos on Primary Arms products.. not sure what to make of them... Can't really afford a Leupold.

I was considering a Nikon Black Force 1000 at around $390 or so.. Nikon has always been known for a quality product.. $390 seems low compared to some of the other scopes however...

I see that I can get a Trijicon accupoint for around $750.. that's more than I want to spend but WOW, its a Trijicon right? And its not like I'm shaking out $1500 for it..

Dang, there are just so many.. prefer to stay under $500.

I put an Eotech EXPS-3 on my other M4.. Found it brand new in the box for $300 on craigslist.. I think this new rifle should have an actual scope.

My Rem870 deer gun has a Nikon Slug Hunter (3-9 x 40)on it and it does a great job.. Can't say I'm disappointed at all.

I also have an older Clinton era Armalite AR10 with a Springfield Armory 4-14 x 56 scope.. I could probably hunt exoplanets with it.

I'm wide open to suggestions.
Old April 22, 2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Scoits

I’ve used a 1-4 Leupold shot gun scope on a 458 lott and another on an AR no problem with either. Both more then 15 years. The 458 has about 800 rounds the AR has thousands thru it.
Old April 22, 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
DPI7800

Is this strictly a recreational set up or for work?
Old April 22, 2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Murby

Recreational or work??? Its what I'll be using if society ever collapses. I'll be defending my family with it.. of course that may never happen.. but if it does, I'd like to be well equipped.

My life will hopefully never depend on it, but I'd like to be prepared if it does.. hence, middle of the road.
Old April 22, 2018, 11:00 AM   #5
jmr40

I have a couple of $200 Leupold VX-1's that work great. They've discontinued that exact scope, but make several similar under $300. These are on a 1" tube.

That said, I'm strongly considering something in a 30mm tube with 1-6X or 1-8X magnification. I'm thinking that may be a better all around option. I've not decided exactly which one yet, but some I'm considering are.

https://swfa.com/vortex-1-8x24-strik...alt-kit-1.html
https://swfa.com/vortex-1-6x24-strik...-salt-kit.html

Winston Churchill
Old April 22, 2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Don Fischer

I have a 1-4x Redfield I bought new about 1971. It's on my 308. If I was looking for one today, I would only look at brands I know or those I've read a lot of good about. If you don't, your simply testing the water for some guy like me. I buy what I sure work's.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:13 AM   #7
DanLee

Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 will meet your needs. A couple of reticles to choose from and it's $200 or less.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:51 PM   #8
2ndtimer

I recently purchased a Burris Fullfield II Tac 30 from Cabela's and mounted it on my A2 build. Rekgular price was $299, they had it on sale for$149. Couldn't pass it up at that price for a decent quality 30mm tube, 1-4X with illuminated Ballistic CQ reticle. I really like it. You might shop around and see if anyone else has it on sale.
FYI, Amazon prime has it for $239.99 with free shipping for a Prime members.

Last edited by 2ndtimer; April 23, 2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add info
Old April 24, 2018, 12:59 AM   #9
Murby

You guys don't have any issues with Vortex's being made in China?

Are the scope being recommended above good in low light conditions?

After watching about a thousand youtube video's, reading various forums and such, I've come to think that the optimum price point on the value curve seems to be around $700 to $800. Please correct me if any of you have a different opinion..

Below that $700 figure and it seems the glass is compromised in low lighting conditions and experiences a lot of edge blurring.. Build quality seems a bit suspect as well. Of course, there's only so much I can tell from youtube video's.

I'm no expert in scopes and have limited experience, but seems to me that there's no such thing as a good quality scope for under $300.. maybe good enough for hobby shooting and plinking.. but not for more serious use. Of course, I'm getting this opinion from watching all the youtube vids so maybe I'm mistaken?

I think I've narrowed it down a bit.. but still keeping an open mind. In no particular order:
~$650 Leupold VXR 1.25-4
~$750 Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24
~$350 Nikon Black Force 1000 1-4 (Being drawn to it because I already own one and the name)
~$700 Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24
~$550 Steiner P4xi 1-4x24
~$750 Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4x24

Also found a Leupold on sale.. its a VX-6 in a 1-6x24 power for $690

What happened to the days when the choices were Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss or Tasco? LOL
Kind of funny, my 10/22 has a $30 4-12 power Tasco scope I literally found in a trash can.. and I can take out a rabbit at 150 yards like ringing a bell...
Old April 24, 2018, 02:05 AM   #10
bamaranger

Leupold Pig scope

Academy is running a special on the Leupold Hog plex, 1-4x right now, with a promo code , the scope is $144 and change.

I don't know if listing the promo code is a Forum no-no, so I am holding off posting same, but some digging should yield the code if you're really interested.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
You guys don't have any issues with Vortex's being made in China?

Are the scope being recommended above good in low light conditions?

After watching about a thousand youtube video's, reading various forums and such, I've come to think that the optimum price point on the value curve seems to be around $700 to $800. Please correct me if any of you have a different opinion..

Below that $700 figure and it seems the glass is compromised in low lighting conditions and experiences a lot of edge blurring.. Build quality seems a bit suspect as well. Of course, there's only so much I can tell from youtube video's.

I'm no expert in scopes and have limited experience, but seems to me that there's no such thing as a good quality scope for under $300.. maybe good enough for hobby shooting and plinking.. but not for more serious use. Of course, I'm getting this opinion from watching all the youtube vids so maybe I'm mistaken?

I think I've narrowed it down a bit.. but still keeping an open mind. In no particular order:
~$650 Leupold VXR 1.25-4
~$750 Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24
~$350 Nikon Black Force 1000 1-4 (Being drawn to it because I already own one and the name)
~$700 Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24
~$550 Steiner P4xi 1-4x24
~$750 Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4x24

Also found a Leupold on sale.. its a VX-6 in a 1-6x24 power for $690

What happened to the days when the choices were Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss or Tasco? LOL
Kind of funny, my 10/22 has a $30 4-12 power Tasco scope I literally found in a trash can.. and I can take out a rabbit at 150 yards like ringing a bell...
Optium $600-$700? I have and use a 3-9 Bushnell Banner that is likely older than a lot of guy's on this forum. It works fine!
Old April 24, 2018, 02:56 PM   #12
PlatinumCore16

Bama, post it in the "Retail" portion of the forum. Down in the "gunshow" sub group. I'm sure there are several people who would like to jump on that.
Old April 25, 2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Kevin Rohrer

I have had good luck w/ my Burris combination.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 25, 2018, 10:41 AM   #14
G.barnes

I’ve had a few lpvs. A lot depends on exactly what you want. Vortex strike eagle 1-6 good glass for the money. A little blurry at the edges hardly noticeable. Not a true 1x, reticle is a little cluttered for me and is not daylight bright here in Florida. Trijicon accupower. Great glass very clear. True 1x. Not daylight bright. Trijicon AccuPoint. Great glass true 1x and so bright it has to be turned down sometimes in bright sun light. Obviously each scope has a different price point and most scopes’ in those price points will be comparable. I’ve looked through a primary arms it’s comparable to the strike eagle and roughly the same price. On the other end if you want good glass true 1x and daylight bright, your going to be in the price range of the AccuPoint or a vortex razor. Day light bright cost money. You can get a lot of great scopes in the middle range if you don’t care about that. I’ve owned many other scopes through out the price range and they are all comparable to the others in the price range I paid for them.
Old April 26, 2018, 01:29 PM   #15
jfruser

I love my Leupold VX-R. 1-4x or 1.5-5x. Great glass, durable, illuminated reticle.

Lighter than the "tactical" or "AR" scopes.
Old April 27, 2018, 03:44 PM   #16
bamaranger

scope deal

I've posted the promo code and the retailer and the promoter of the Leupold hog scope deal I referenced earlier. I dunno if the hog scope still has the silly "hog plex" script in the field of view or not.....but a 1-4x with hold off points for well under $200 from Leupold is a heck of a deal.
Old April 28, 2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Terminatorret

For under $100, the Bushnell Banner 1-4X32 is well worth a look. I have one on my Marlin 336C and one on my Ruger 77/357. I'm not disappointed. Clear optics, rugged. The circle-x reticle has grown on me, too.
Made in Korea, I think.