The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2018, 05:18 PM   #1
mendozer

Opinion on red dot

I'm looking to add a red dot to my CZ Scorpion.

Bushnell TRS-25 is a popular budget choice. $60 right now, and seeing as it's a 9mm I cant imagine it'll break.

Vortex sparc AR $150. I have one now on my AR and love it, but wonder if the size is overkill on the scorpion

Vortex crossfire $130. New for 2018, seems like a lighter AR dot of the sparc.

Vortex venom $197. REALLY small vs the others, maybe a good thing.

Sig Sauer Romeo5 $150. Budget red dot with bump-activation.

I really like the sig due to the motion activation. Bushnell's knob is easy to quickly turn on the dot as well. Vortex not so much. You have to hit the up button several times to really bring the light on. Vortex wins on warranty, but seems to lack on features. I know the glass is good however. Just wondering what's really needed.
Old March 25, 2018, 06:14 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

There's no comparison between the Bushnell TRS-25 and the Vortex reflex sights. One's the size of a small tin can and the other are very small reflex sights. If you're just target shooting with the gun get whatever you like best. I own both and the Bushnell is big. Other than target/hunting use, it's out of place and offers no advantage.
Old March 25, 2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Eazyeach

The bushnell trs 25 isn’t that big. Not at all
Old March 25, 2018, 08:51 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
The bushnell trs 25 isn’t that big. Not at all
Compared to a reflex sight it's gigantic. Put one next to the other.....no comparison.
Old March 25, 2018, 10:03 PM   #5
Aikibiker

After my experience with a friends Scorpion I think an older generation 30mm red dot is the way to go if you will be retaining the stock iron sights as BUIS.

The Vortex Strikefire II and Primary Arms Advanced 30mm Red Dot are both in your price range and have good reviews. Though I would suggest stepping up to an Aimpoint PRO or ACO if it won't have you eating nothing but ramen noodles for a while.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old March 26, 2018, 11:16 AM   #6
chris16371

I had a trs-25 and it was a nice little red dot, nothing fancy about it but was reliable for what I used it for. I've heard good things about the PA Advanced Red Dot, the YouTube videos are quite impressive.

Look on AR15.com classifieds for an Aimpoint, a lot of times you can find a Comp M2 for around $200-$250. Just be sure to buy from someone with good reviews and take a look at the various resources on the internet to spot fakes. Also contacting Aimpoint with the serial number helps verify if it's real and if it came from the military, Aimpoint won't repair military optics bc of the contract. I bought a Comp M2 for $130 shipped that had a scratched up eye and objective lens, I didn't purchase until I verified it was authentic and not a military model. I sent to Aimpoint and received it back in 2 months looking good as new and cost me nothing. You may even find one of the optics you listed new or close to new for a very good price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old March 26, 2018, 11:30 AM   #7
chris16371

I just want to mention that there's an older TRS-25 that had yellowish Bushnell lettering on the side of the optic and the newer has white Bushnell lettering and several reviews I seen while looking into the optic before I purchased said that some of the white lettered ones had an issue with the lens. I can't remember if it was glare or maybe something with the dot, I'll try and look for the reviews after work so I can tell you for sure. What I did was went to a local shop that stocked the TRS-25 and looked through all the boxes until I found one with the yellowish lettering, that way I knew the odds of having that issue was slim.

UPDATE: I just looked it up and apparently the white letter ones were having an issue with the dot fading/disappearing at certain angles and/or a red ring appearing at all brightness levels.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by chris16371; March 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old March 26, 2018, 12:25 PM   #8
rpenmanparker

First decision to make is do you want a closed type like the Bushnell or an open reflex type. Yes the reflex models for pistols are smaller than the Bushnell. I have had very good luck with the Bushnell on target .22s, but for 9mm I prefer a reflex type. I don’t want to spend too much and have two each of the Sightmark Mini Pro Spec at $100 each and the Burris Fastfire 3 at $200. The Fastfire is probably the most popular lower priced offering. The Sightmarks are good now, but older versions, even with the same model name, had some problems. Beware.

Also make sure there are compatible mounting plates for the optic you choose and for your pistol. That way you won’t need to have your slide milled. The optic will mount via the rear site dovetail. If you need any advice on this, let me know.
Old March 26, 2018, 04:31 PM   #9
rpenmanparker

By the way, if you decide on a Bushnell TRS 25, I have a nearly new one to sell for a very reasonable price. I have shot with it just a couple of time. I had it mounted on a Ruger Single Six Hunter model that I decided I just really didn't like and sold. Now I just have the optic left.

Keep in mind, the Bushnell only mounts to a rail type mount. From what I can tell by photos, the Scorpion should work fine with it.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:27 PM   #10
michaelc246

I'm a fan of the Truglo Tru Tec... It's got great battery life and quality, and it has an auto on feature that you're looking for. It's relatively inexpensive too being just barely over $100. I don't hear a lot of people talk about it, but I've been very happy with mine.
Old March 26, 2018, 10:10 PM   #11
marine6680

Depending on the hight of the irons on the scorpion...

THIS red dot from Primary Arms would be a good choice. I recommend this one over the Vortex options, mostly due to battery life.

The Vortex Venom, or a similar type reflex sight is also a good option. A smallis profiles rifle like the scorpion works well with a trim sight.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:40 AM   #12
jackmoser65

Quote:
Bushnell TRS-25 is a popular budget choice. $60 right now, and seeing as it's a 9mm I cant imagine it'll break.
I never understood the justification that low recoil makes a cheap optic ok. A cheap scope can fail on anything, even a 22.

However, I've had good luck with the Bushnell and PA red dots. Don't care for the mini reflex types. Just be sure you get the low mount, not the high AR type mount.
Old March 28, 2018, 04:05 PM   #13
Duster340

I opted for the TRS25 on my mossy500. 20" barrel turkey setup. Love it! Reasonable priced, no issues in after a bunch of turkey loads.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:36 PM   #14
Ralph Allen

I have a Sig ROMEO 4 on my Scorpion carbine. Great sight, love the MOTAC and a great no BS warranty if it ever fails. Now, you are going to hear all kinds of things about how the Holosun which costs less is the same sight. Do your own research and check all the specs. Ralph