The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 4, 2018, 03:14 PM   #51
308Loader

I have several rifles and shot guns with breaks. 556-308-30 378-12ga. I have installed them for my comfort. I try to be respectful to my fellow shooters and try to take a shooting position with some distance from them. this is not always possible. when I see another shooter with a break installed I will take the position next to them if the range is full. As to training, what better "cage rattle" than a small concussive force to make a shooter turn off the rest of the world and focus on the mechanics of their shot. In a world that paper doesn't shoot back, and you have some support (other shooters) I can see the annoyance, this is not the real world. Fact of matter is the 30-378 with 208gr bullet, without a break will separate my shoulder from it's socket. My jc higgens 12ga has an adjustable choke combined with the break (dial a duck). I find the break to be a useful item. I say get used to them because their not going away any time soon.
Old March 7, 2018, 09:49 AM   #52
doofus47

I had an integrated brake on my 8mm Hakim. It was so loud that I started doubling up on muffs/plugs.

I'm never buying another rifle with brake again.
Old March 7, 2018, 10:49 AM   #53
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus47 View Post
I had an integrated brake on my 8mm Hakim. It was so loud that I started doubling up on muffs/plugs.

I'm never buying another rifle with brake again.
That actually can be defused. Taking out the plug (the round piece with hole for the bullet to exit) weakens the braking action and thus the noise.

I have a hakim myself. Each time I shoot it I move to the side lane. I will inform the shooters up to 2 lanes over about the noise. If they were not ok I will wait till they are done. Most of the time they are ok.

The noise is indeed horrendous. I wonder how they possibly used that rifle in the Egyptian army. After a fire fight the whole platoon would go deaf.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk