The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 9, 2019, 04:34 PM   #76
Fishbed77

For a lower cost, high value red dot for defensive use, the list pretty much begins and ends with the Aimpoint PRO.

I've owned a number of the less expensive red dots (SIG Romeo5, Vortex StrikeFire, Primary Arms, Holo-Sun), and they are honestly toys compared to the PRO. Most of them are nice when they work, but none of them are as robust, simple-to-use, or have the clarity of the PRO. The battery life is so good, you just turn it on and leave it on. It is always ready to use with no fumbling. Just change the batteries every 3 years.

They go on sale often for under $400 and simply represent the the best value you will find for a red dot.
Old September 10, 2019, 07:02 AM   #77
stagpanther

High capacity 45 acp pistol for inside the home for me, quick mobility, dodging in and out behind doorways furniture etc. I have buckets of AR's--but wouldn't use them for inside the home unless there was no other alternative. If there are legions of assault brigade zombies advancing through the woods towards my house--then an AR with red dot is what I would grab.
Old September 10, 2019, 11:46 AM   #78
pete2

I'll use the Claymores and the .50 on the Zombies.