The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Nathan

S&W M&P 2.0 40 or 9 with Safety.....good deal?

Looking for opinions about the gun in the title. It is LINK.

Looks like a great 5” 40 or 9....do you have one? How does it compare to Glock, XD, ETC?

They are running $350 now after rebate...

Also, in this gun, do you have a 9 vs 40 preference? I like 9 in smaller guns for shootability, but this gun should suck up 40 recoil better than others due to slide mass and plastic frame, IMO. Unlike many, I much prefer 40’s gel performance.

Last edited by Nathan; August 17, 2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old August 17, 2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Rangerrich99

I’ve got M&P 2.0s in both .40 and 9mm. They are great guns as range toys, home defense weapons, etc. the full size version in the link would probably be a bit large for ccw. At $350 it’s a steal. Jump on that. Get one of each at that price. You won’t be disappointed. Oh and if you decide you don’t want the thumb safety they sell plugs also.
Old August 17, 2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Sharkbite

I now carry a 2.0 compact in 9mm. I switched from a Glock to a 1.0 a cpl years ago. When the 2.0 compact came out it became my EDC pistol. Its the ONLY gun ive ever had that i loved the trigger right out of the box
Old August 17, 2018, 02:47 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I've had two 2.0 Compacts. They're nice guns and the triggers out of box are much nicer than the first run of M&Ps. I've personally had mediocre luck with QC from S&W, but that seems to be more commonplace these days with all manufacturers. For that price I think it's certainly worth trying. As mentioned above, the safety equipped models can be changed to non-safety if you wanted at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 17, 2018, 03:58 PM   #5
jmr40

I consider myself a "Glock guy". But wanted to try something with a 1911 type safety and bought a 2.0 M&P. Mine is in 9mm with 4 1/4" barrel and 17 round magazines. It is very slightly larger than my G-19. The trigger "feels" better, but I don't shoot it any better, or worse, than my Glock. It has been 100% reliable. I got mine for $400 shipped with a $5 transfer fee and I thought it a bargain.

I have no qualms about carrying a Glock or any other striker fired gun with no safety as long as it is in a holster. But for nightstand or glovebox duty like the idea of having a thumb safety. I've shot 1911's for years so that type safety is 2nd nature for me. That is why I wanted to try the M&P.

So far I'm impressed. I keep it loaded with safety on for nightstand duty with a light attached and it serves that role very well. I'm not ready to stop carrying the G19 yet. But as I shoot the M&P more and gain more confidence in it could see me making the switch at some point.

9mm vs 40! I've had 40's in the past and have concluded they don't do anything I can't do just as well with 9mm. If I need more power then I skip straight to 10mm and forget 40 and 45.

Winston Churchill
Old August 19, 2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Nathan

I consider myself a 1911 guy, but like the higher firepower of a double stack at home and for range games. I have an XD45 Tactical w/ TS. It is ok, but the trigger has a stapler quality to it that I would like to move on from.

I’m hoping this 5” 40 allows me to clear some others from the collection....ditch the Glock and maybe an XD!
Old August 24, 2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Nathan

Well, I tried to compare my slightly personalized Glock 23 to the m&p 2.0 today. The m&p is better in every way, but I shoot the Glock better....I need to keep workbench nag with the m&p to learn it’s finer points...Glock can’t be tossed yet!
Old August 24, 2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Dred

@Nathan ...

I am also a 1911 guy. I don't know what the guys that "like" the m2.0 trigger are comparing it to, but if you drop in the Apex trigger bits - it compares well with a decent 1911 trigger.

And, I'll suggest you are shooting the Glock better 'cause you subjected yourself to that grip angle. Trigger time is your fix.
Old August 24, 2018, 06:39 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Quote:
I am also a 1911 guy. I don't know what the guys that "like" the m2.0 trigger are comparing it to
I currently EDC a 2.0 compact. In the past ive carried a 1911 (Wilson CQB and a Kimber). Ive also carried a Glock 17 & 19 as duty gun

The 2.0 trigger is the only production pistol ive ever had that i was happy with the trigger out of the box. The CQB was great, but you would expect it to be.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Nathan

I ended up with the 5” 2.0 with the thumb safety in 40 s&w. It has the cool fde cerakote finish.

Well, I do like it so far...2-300 rounds downrange so far. The first 200 were win white box. No issue. I have had 1 ftfire, but that was with reloads. I will take the slide apart and confirm the striker. No other ftfeed or extract.

The grip is the key with this gun. First the grip feels great and the grips really create a range of grip sizes. I still thing small hands would find the small too big. For my large glove mitt, the med-large insert is fine. I may switch to med at some point for increased grip force, but not sure. The texture is amazing. I hope all gunmakers are seeing this....s&w got the texture RIGHT! It is grippy. The gun does not slide around in recoil at all. Way better than most of those tire tread grips of Glock, xds, etc. it feels like a 1911 with 25lpi front and back.

Practical accuracy is quite good. I can hit things at speed. Sometimes the trigger trips me up, but not normally. Bullseye accuracy really hasn’t been tested enough. I tried a 15 yd group and it wasn’t great....I’m struggling a bit with the trigger. I may go trigger kit, but I would rather just learn it.

Balance is really good with the 5” slide and barrel. Rapid fire accuracy is second nature. Easy to hit with, easy to transition....

Mags are the way mags should be! They are full capacity, metal body, holes for round count and coated with a slick black coating.

The best part of these things is they run about $400 with $20 mags. Rebate right now for $50 off.

Would really like an add on rds slide too!

Coming from the quality 1911 world, but having experience with most popular pistols and revolvers, I find this to be a good, but not great gun. I find it better feeling than my Glock23, but slightly harder for me to shoot. Overall, they are comparable, but the m&p has better sights, better grip and a safety.