The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 9, 2018, 07:34 PM   #1
MUZZL3

AR-15 that Shoots Easy

Ok, this is my first venture into the world of guns. I bought an AR15 lower and want to get and upper (that’s CA compliant) that shoots like a .22. I like the M3 style. I’m not a big fan of kickback and I just want something that is fun to shoot and accurate. Can you point me in the right direction or give me your thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by MUZZL3; August 9, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:10 PM   #2
indie_rocker

I'm not a builder so I can't suggest an upper for you. But I've shot a lot of M-16 and their civilian counter parts. I own a very basic S&W M&P Sport II. The AR platform, in 5.56/223 is soft shooting by design. It is not going to have the recoil of a bolt action hunting rifle or shotgun.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Model12Win

The M3 would be a good choice, I would get that.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Mobuck

" I like the M3 style. " What is that?

"I’m not a big fan of kickback and I just want something that is fun to shoot and accurate."
OK, my Grand Daughter started shooting a .223 AR at age 8. To give her confidence that it 'wouldn't hurt", I fired a couple of shots with the butt sitting against the end of my nose. If that doesn't define "lack of kickback", I don't have a clue.
Old August 9, 2018, 09:15 PM   #5
jmr40

I have no idea how to help with California compliant. But any AR 15 shooting 223/5.56 ammo has about the least recoil you can ask for in a centerfire rifle. Most rifles are in the 5 ft lb range. That is about 1/3-1/4 of the recoil generated by 308, and 308 is considered mild. I can't imagine any variant having enough difference to be noticeable.

The best advice I can give is to avoid the lighter weight guns. More weight means less recoil.

I have no idea if they are legal there or not but something chambered in 22 rimfire that has AR styling is the only other option I can think of. Some AR uppers are available that shoot 22 rimfire.

Something like this

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...orts-exclusive

Winston Churchill
Old August 10, 2018, 12:03 AM   #6
MUZZL3

Whoops! Meant to say m4. Thanks for the responses jmr40 and indie_rocker.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:43 AM   #7
kymasabe

My suggestion is look for an AR with a mid-length gas tube, not a carbine length, as some have reported that mids have a slightly milder recoil pulse.
Next, I suppose you could experiment with flat wound buffer springs and different weight buffers to see if the combo somehow gives you the impression of less recoil.
Someone has already mentioned that a little more weight in the gun will help reduce felt recoil, just make sure you don't stack too much weight up front, as a front-heavy unbalanced AR is (to me) uncomfortable to shoot. Lastly, don't overlook the benefits of a good stock. Most AR's come with some cheap light collapsible stock, can very easily be replaced with something a little heavier that has less rattle (though still collapsible), shoulders more easily, offers better cheek weld, and may even have recoil pad options. My first choice would be Magpuls offerings, but there are many choices like the B5 Sopmod, Griffin Armament ECS, and more.

Last edited by kymasabe; August 10, 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:02 AM   #8
imashooter

Like a .22 ain't gonna happen. You can go 20" rifle or longer and greatly minimize the "kick" as compared to a carbine or shorter however it still won't be in the category of a basic .22lr like a 1/22 etc.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Onward Allusion

An AR platform rifle chambered in 5.56x45 "kicks" (if it can even be called that) VERY little and doesn't have much more recoil than a 22 LR rifle. My son's GF who is 110 LBs shoots one.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:21 AM   #10
cslinger

You can fire an AR15 resting against your face with ABSOLUTELY no problem. If you are more recoil adverse then that I honestly don’t know what to tell you. Maybe a precharged air rifle, because a spring Gun has more recoil.

Now one thing people tend to equate to recoil is blast/noise. The AR15 especially shorter barreled ones with a muzzle brake, has a fairly decent amount of blast and noise and that can be bothersome to folks and a .22 makes much more sense here.

Sheer recoil though is next to nill.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Charlie98

If you want to dip your toe in the AR waters and are unsure about it, try something inexpensive like the DPMS Oracle... it's an M4-profile, no-frills rifle for as low as $400 right now. You will have to provide whatever sights you want to use, but it would be an easy way to test drive one. If you decide the AR in 5.56mm kicks too much to your liking, then it looks like a .22LR AR might be your answer.

Also, many ranges rent AR's... you can always try one out, first, or do what I did, and enlist in the Army.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 10, 2018, 08:41 AM   #12
cslinger

Quote:
enlist in the Army.
Now that kicks farrrr tooo much.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:59 AM   #13
pblanc

If you already have a lower, Palmetto State Armory has a wide variety of barreled uppers for sale with 16" barrels and mid-length gas systems, or 18" barrels and rifle length gas systems.

As has been said, moving the gas port and block farther out on the barrel does mitigate recoil somewhat and a longer barrel means it is quieter for the shooter, which seems to diminish perceived recoil for some.

But I agree that the recoil from .223 Rem/5.56x45 is very light.

PSA can not ship lowers or complete AR or AK rifles to California because of CA "assault rifle" ban, but I am pretty sure they can ship complete uppers directly to your door.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...ssemblies.html
Old August 10, 2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Nathan

Simply....find a 5.56 20” rifle gas gun.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:22 AM   #15
PlatinumCore16

They should be able to ship the upper as you already have the lower. Pretty much all of the major makers will have an upper that is marked "CA Compliant" so just look on their website and make sure that's the one you get. PSA, Del Ton, DPMS, Stag Arms are all good manufacturers.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:54 PM   #16
44caliberkid

I built a carbine upper, used M16/ AR15 receiver and rear sight. Pencil barrel by a brand name maker, I just don't remember. Yankee Hill gas block with front sight. Michulek muzzle comp. Houge free float handguard. Lightweight BCG from I believe, Voodoo Innovations, and a JP Silent Capture spring. It has nearly zero recoil. As you squeeze off rounds, your sights never move. Follow up shots are instantaneous.
Old August 10, 2018, 02:38 PM   #17
jetinteriorguy

Since this is literally your first gun, stash the lower for now and get a 10-22. While you’re learning the basics of safety and marksmanship on the 10-22 you can learn more about AR’s and what you want/need and when you’re ready have at it. Just my 2 cents, good luck and welcome to the world of firearms.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:33 PM   #18
imashooter

Or get a compliant model of the M&P 15-22.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:57 PM   #19
Model12Win

The .223 has a low recoil to begin with.

You could get a 24" heavy bull barrel with full length quad rail, bipod, large size optic, and anything else you could fit on all the rails to bring the weight up to counter the recoiling forces.

Or, just get a standard MSR and you might find the recoil isn't bad at all. The .223 has very little kickback. It is nothing like a shotty with deer slugs.
Old August 11, 2018, 12:31 PM   #20
MUZZL3

Thanks for the info guys, there’s a lot here for a noob like myself to sort through. I’m definitely gonna stay with the .223. The reason I said “least amount of recoil” was because I shot a friends AR and it literally felt like I was shooting a .22, which amazed me. Anyways I wasn’t aware the the AR .223 was by nature a “soft recoil” type of gun. Thanks again for all the info
Old August 11, 2018, 12:32 PM   #21
MUZZL3

And yes being a gun owner in CA SUCKS!
Old August 11, 2018, 02:42 PM   #22
gshayd

The lower needs to be Kali compliant as well
Old August 11, 2018, 05:16 PM   #23
DaleA

But wait...you're not a "JOURNALIST " are you? 'Cause firing an AR-15 famously (maybe infamously) affected this "journalist".

The recoil bruised my shoulder, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...cle-1.2673201#
Old August 11, 2018, 05:49 PM   #24
pblanc

I am anxious and irritable most of the time these days. Are you telling me my ARs are to blame?
Old August 11, 2018, 09:40 PM   #25
MUZZL3

Nope, just a gun lover in the state of CA, which means I can barely read let alone write according to Hollywood.