The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
seeker_two

Pocket Pistols: .40S&W vs. .45ACP

After selling my XD9sc, I'm thinking about adding another pocket pistol to my collection. With 9mm & .380ACP ammo still scarce, I'm leaning toward larger calibers. I've tried the Kahr PM45....healthy recoil, but I could adjust to it. I've also seen that Kahr makes the PM40 and the CM40. I haven't shot one yet, but the size & availability of .40S&W ammo is appealing. Throw in models like the S&W Shield .40 and the XDs in .45ACP....and the choices become even more difficult.

How do pocket guns in these calibers compare?....esp. in regards to recoil and reliability?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 2, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
riddleofsteel

I owned a MK40 for years. I carried it as a pocket pistol in a Kramer holster and in a Kramer belt scabbard as a primary CCW. I traded it for K40 Covert so I could have the longer slide and the shorter handle. Best of both worlds for primary IMHO.
The MK40 was more accurate than I could shoot it off hand. Recoil was snappy but I still did a good job with it on combat courses. My family members that shot it nicknamed "The Snapdragon." I can only imagine the recoil on a PM40 would be quite a handful. Not for the inexperienced hand gunner.
These days I have a PM9 for deep concealment that I carry some in that same Kramer belt scabbard as a primary CCW. I have every confidence in it and the 9mm using the +P 115 grain ammo it is loaded with. Recoil is very manageable even for my son that does not have the experience with handguns that I do.
Old September 5, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
seeker_two

ros: How much did the MK40 weigh? Was it pretty noticable in a pocket? I mainly pocket carry, so your post interests me....
Old September 5, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
kcub

I had a xds 45 that was not reliable even after a trip to the factory. Some people are happy with theirs.

I carry a Walther PPS 40 in a pocket. Recoil is manageable with a limbsaver rubber slip on. Mine is 100% reliable with all types of ammo.
Old September 5, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
riddleofsteel

the MK40 was noticeable in a pocket unless the pocket was fairly tight. This is why it got carried more in a Kramer belt scabbard than in my pocket. I mainly went that route when I had to have my shirt tucked in and still wanted to carry. The Kahr PM9 I am packing now is light enough to fit the pocket weight limit. I bet a PM40 would as well.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Doc Intrepid

I carry a Kahr PM40 in a pocket when riding a motorcycle, it fits in either an outer jacket pocket or the inner pocket of a leather vest.

The Kahr PM40 is a pretty nice package - it is essentially identical in outer envelope size to a S&W J-frame like the 640, etc. - but thinner than the cylinder.

If I were in the market for a true pocket pistol, I think I'd be inclined to go with the .40 S&W versus the .45, just because the external dimensions tend to be just a bit smaller all around.

I'm real happy with the Kahr PM40, and if you're looking for something like that would encourage you to see if you can't borrow one from a friend and see how it fits your hands.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:10 PM   #7
ripnbst

Pocket Pistols: .40S&W vs. .45ACP

I'd chose .40 over .45 in a smaller pistol just for the capacity advantage.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:44 AM   #8
IdahoG36

I would choose a .45 over a .40 in a pocket gun because the .40 is a real hand full in some of the smaller guns like the PM40. I was going to buy a PM40, but after renting one at my local range, I decided that .40 in that small of a gun wasn't for me. The recoil was pretty harsh. I have shot full size, compact, and sub compact .40s before, and the recoil isn't that bad. It was bad in a pocket pistol for sure.

I decided to buy a Springfield XDs .45, and so far I love it. It holds 5+1 rounds, and I carry a 7 round spare mag. Mine is unfortunately at Springfield right now having the recall performed, but it has been a very reliable gun for me so far. I had 2 light strikes in the first 100 rounds due to failure to return to battery, but since then, I have had 300+ flawless rounds out of it. I wasn't too concerned about the two failures, as some guns have failures in the first 100-200 rounds during the break in period.
Old September 8, 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
seeker_two

IG36: What ammo are you using in your XDs?
Old September 9, 2013, 01:42 AM   #10
IdahoG36

For range use, I use WWB, Remington, and Herter's Select brass case 230 gr. My carry ammo is Barnes Tac XPD 185 gr +P.
Old September 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Ruger45LC

I have the CM40 currently, and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very accurate and it carries nicely in a Remora pocket holster. I keep one or two extra 6rd extended mags in the opposite pocket for backup. I did put a set of Talon rubberized grips on it for extra traction.

Recoil is there, but it's not horrible. I had a CM9 too, which was great, and while yes the 9mm CM9 recoils less, the CM40 isn't going to fly out of your hand. I had a CW45, the slightly larger 4" model. Recoil wasn't bad there.

In general, you're going to get more recoil out of a .40 than you are a .45, so if you're alright with a little more than a .45, the .40 will be no problem. I also think the ballistics are better from the shorter .40's vs. the .45 models. Most .45 ballistics come from 5" barrels where as .40's come from 4", so you don't really lose that much with the shorter barrel.

I had a Glock 27 (3.5" bbl) and the 3" CM40 would consistent average faster velocities than the longer barreled G27. Really, there isn't that much velocity loss out of the little CM40, it's only marginally slower than loads from my Glock 23 4" bbl.