The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2018, 05:02 PM   #1
ninosdemente

RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool

I was starting to put the primers for a 30-06 and noticed there are dimples on the primers. Just did 5 so far. I thought I was doing something wrong or perhaps I am doing something wrong.

http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/36.jpg

I looked at the tool and notice there is a small piece that looks like it is causing this dimple on the primer.

http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/37.jpg

Is this of concern? Can one just simply file this off and just continue?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 5, 2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Reloadron

It looks like the primer rod is upside down. You want the flat side up and rounded end down. This is in bold face type in the instructions. They go on to say that installing the rod upside down can result in detonating a primer which would explain the divots in your primers.

Ron

Last edited by Reloadron; July 5, 2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old July 5, 2018, 05:57 PM   #3
ninosdemente

Thank you for that.

Are the 5 primed brass still good or discard?
Old July 5, 2018, 06:02 PM   #4
hounddawg

I did the same thing the first time I used the tool, mine shot fine but to be on the safe side just use them for warmups in case of a misfire. Those primers will get a heck of a lot bigger dent in them when the firing pin does it's thing. Just my opinion
Old July 5, 2018, 06:05 PM   #5
BBarn

From the parts diagram it looks like the rod will only fit one way, so I'm not sure it could be upside down.

I wouldn't want to continue use of the tool as is. I'd call RCBS and talk with them. They will probably want to send you a new rod. And while you're at it, check the small primer rod also for the same issue.

Alternately, you can grind/sand off the small bump if you have an appropriate tool. If you attempt this make sure you don't take off any extra material. You don't want to end up with the rod too short.
Old July 5, 2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Reloadron

BBarn:
Quote:
From the parts diagram it looks like the rod will only fit one way, so I'm not sure it could be upside down.

I wouldn't want to continue use of the tool as is. I'd call RCBS and talk with them. They will probably want to send you a new rod. And while you're at it, check the small primer rod also for the same issue.

Alternately, you can grind/sand off the small bump if you have an appropriate tool. If you attempt this make sure you don't take off any extra material. You don't want to end up with the rod too short.
This gets a little tricky as if you look at these instructions you will not see the same RCBS hand priming tool the thread starter has.

The Model 90200 apparently went through change. I have an older one (about 25 years old) and the rods are not the same and can go in either way. My manual points this out and also points out putting them in wrong can:

"Next, select the appropriate size primer rod and drop it down through the shell holder and into the body of the priming tool. MAKE SURE THE FLAT SURFACE ON THE PRIMER ROD IS UP AND THE ROUNDED END IS DOWN. IF THE ROD IS INSTALLED WITH THE ROUNDED END UP, A PRIMER MAY DISCHARGE AS IT IS SEATED. The rod is easy to install but it will also easily fall out if the tool is turned upside down".

The posted pictures look exactly like the rod is installed inverted.

Yes, you can likely use the cases you primed.

Ron
Old July 5, 2018, 06:24 PM   #7
hounddawg

BBarn is right, those rods used to be 2 piece now they are 1 piece. My bad. Double kick in the butt for me because I am having RCBS send me the newer 1 piece rods. been a long day and Ron beat me to it lol

seems as if that nub can be taken off but also sure that RCBS will send new if you call them
Old July 5, 2018, 07:50 PM   #8
ninosdemente

Reloadron, I have that instruction manual. As I have two separate rods (large and small) as well as two primer feeds one large (black) and small (white, which it has the s on both halfs).

I checked the small rod and it is flat, not the same color as the black rod (this one is metal color).

Also I checked the ones that come with the Rock Chucker and both of them (large/small) are flat as well.
Old July 5, 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
ninosdemente

I found a video on YouTube.... if you skip to 2:15, the person has the same parts I have laid out on the table.
Old July 5, 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
hounddawg

ninodemente

this is the style I was referring to and I bet reloadron's is similar

notice the left end of the long rod is curved to ride like a ball in a socket on the short fat piece. If that curved end of the long rod was put in upside down it would dimple the primers

Old July 5, 2018, 08:55 PM   #11
ninosdemente

Thank you for the picture hounddawg. I emailed RCBS, I'll wait and see what they say.

Thank you everyone for the help. Well at least I will be able to use the one that comes with the Rock Chucker.
Old July 5, 2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Reloadron

Quote:
Reloadron, I have that instruction manual. As I have two separate rods (large and small) as well as two primer feeds one large (black) and small (white, which it has the s on both halfs).
The tool comes with the Large primer feed halves normally installed, mine are Black and marked L, the two halves marked L fit together as the two mall primer halves , mine are white and marked S. My primer rods are a large and small.with one end being a flat and the other end a slightly rounded bevel. The rounded end designed to fir the link follower.

Your rods should look like these.

The above show the flat end the next image shows the rounded end.

Some have more radius than others the rounded ends are designed to work with the linkage follower which is shown below with its cup to mate with the arms.

Now does your rods look like my images? The rounding on some is more pronounced but the flat ends are pretty appareny.

Ron
Old July 5, 2018, 09:40 PM   #13
Reloadron

Hounddawg that is what I have.

Ron
Old July 5, 2018, 10:01 PM   #14
ninosdemente

Reloadron, in the youtube link, skip to 3:25 and the person holds one small priming pin and then grabs one large priming pin. Those are the ones I have.
Old July 6, 2018, 07:37 AM   #15
Reloadron

We have the same thing. I did see this video which is same as mine.

Ron
Old July 6, 2018, 08:17 AM   #16
ninosdemente

The video link you provided looks easier than what I have. It takes me a bit for the pin to clear the hole from the plastic molding. Just have to get use to it, no big deal.

On a good note... I emailed RCBS last night and did receive an email from them already (today morning). Talk about fast service... was expecting a reply until Monday or so. They are going to send me a new rod and should be arriving within 2 weeks.

Meantime, will use the Rock Chucker to prime brass which I did for the remaining brass I had.
Old July 6, 2018, 12:59 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Dress the burr on the rod and it should be fine. (Or dress it and keep it as a spare.)
Old July 6, 2018, 01:26 PM   #18
ninosdemente

What would be the best method to do this?
Old July 6, 2018, 02:43 PM   #19
hounddawg

dremel, jewelers files, sandpaper whatever you have, it ain't rocket surgery
Old July 6, 2018, 08:18 PM   #20
ninosdemente

just looking for the easiest and best method so I won't take off more than I should.
Old July 7, 2018, 12:07 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Take a file to it and stop when the 'nub' is flush. If the part has been hardened (doubtful, mine aren't), then abrasives would be in order instead of a file.
Old July 7, 2018, 07:05 AM   #22
hounddawg

Quote:
just looking for the easiest and best method so I won't take off more than I should.
that's easy when the nub goes away stop removing metal

BTW should not take long to get the new part. RCBS mailed me my new parts July 03 the same day I called and they made it from California to east coast USA to my mail box (east coast) yesterday.

BTW for others with the old 2 piece rods the new one piece rods are much smoother in operation
Old July 7, 2018, 09:38 AM   #23
F. Guffey

Not something found among reloaders very often; but, I have a butt grinder. It is part of a set up that is used to make pilots, head space gages etc.. IF the rod you have that is creating dimples belong to me I would chuck it up in the 'V' block and then apply a smooth finish. AND! I would make an effort not to shorten the rod.

F. Guffey
Old July 7, 2018, 12:45 PM   #24
hounddawg

Quote:
Not something found among reloaders very often; but, I have a butt grinder.
I grind up 10 lbs of pork butt about every two months or so. Makes great taco meat when properly seasoned.

I got the new rods in last eve and tested it today. The one piece seating rod is much smoother and gave a nice uniform seating depth sensitive enough to feel the preload and not crush
Old July 7, 2018, 04:59 PM   #25
gwpercle

I'm not sure what is right but take a file to that little teat and remove it .
Make the surface flat . My first Lee whack-a-mole Loader had a teat like that on the primer seating base ...about 3 out of 10 primers would fire when seated !
Made primer seating exciting to say the least. When I found it...Aha moment , light bulb on...filed that sucker flat and no more primer problems.
Gary