The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2018, 10:12 AM   #26
RickB

Another possible explanation for Luger unreliability is/was the lack of proper action springs.
I've seen a reprint of a manual showing (IIRC) six different Luger action springs and their proper application.
Until a few years ago, Wolff made only one Luger spring, now they make two, but if you have a Navy, or Artillery, or a .30 rather than 9mm, you may not be able to get the exact spring appropriate to your gun.

I load 85gr bullets for my .30, and as long as velocity exceeds 1100fps, the gun runs very well (obviously, the gun does not need "hot" ammo to function).
Old July 3, 2018, 12:17 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
stock GI 1911s are only marginally reliable with hardball ammo,
This has not been my experience. Quite the opposite. I have found GI spec 1911/A1 guns to be VERY reliable with hardball ammo. The 1911's reputation for reliability didn't come out of thin air, it came from combat service. Yes, of course its overblown, the 1911 was NOT 110% always works no matter what reliable the way the legend suggests, but they were MORE reliable in combat conditions than the pistols of our enemies (or our allies), and that's where the reputation got started.

Quote:
I think the other problem with the Luger being a long-term success was the toggle mechanism being a dead end.
In a pistol, it turned into a dead end, but the toggle system works well, it was the heart of the Maxim machine gun, and is used in the Belgian MAG 58 machinegun, which is our M240 today.

Quote:
Another nail in the coffin is that Lugers were never designed to use todays 9mm ammo. What was available when Lugers were originally made would be considered hotter by todays standards.
How do you define "hot"?? I'm not going to get into pressure numbers, the differences between old and new system of measurement make direct comparisons difficult.

Original 9mm Luger ammo was a 124gr "truncated cone" FMJ at 1050fps from the 4" Luger barrel. Take a look at that number, ONE THOUSAND AND FIFTY FEET PER SECOND. Shortly before WW I, the load was changed to a 115gr FMJ at 1150fps from the 4" Luger barrel. ELEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY fps.

This is what the Luger was made for, and what it was used with. Not hot by today's standards.

Quote:
That matches a time-honored, and very weird, US tradition of downloading European military ammunition significantly.

Post WW I, when there were a significant number of both 7mm and 8mm Mauser-chambered rifles available, American companies loaded rounds than robbed anywhere from 15 to 25 percent of the round's potential.

It's as if American companies didn't think anyone in Europe could build a safe gun...
It is interesting that all US ammo makers did "underload" European cartridges. Officially it was concern for older, weaker guns, but personally, I think it was done to make American cartridges (and their guns) more attractive to American buyers.

Quote:
The P38 was a more modern double-action design. They were produced at the same time for a while. The problem with the Luger was that it took more time and careful machining to produce. As the war went on, Germany couldn't afford that luxury.
The P.38 was adopted in 1938, and produced from then on. The Luger was adopted by the German Army in 1908 (the Navy adopted it in 1906), and production ended in 1942. And yes, the reason was cost, not just $ cost of each unit, but the cost in time, of skilled workmen and machines that could be making more important and useful things.

Quote:
Remember that the Italians were using TWO 9mm cartridges at the time -- the 9mm Glisenti and the 9mm Luger.

The Glisenti was dimensionally identical to the 9mm Luger but was significantly less powerful.
And, soldiers are seldom noted for recognizing fine technical distinctions in captured items written in foreign languages.

With a few minor exceptions, the only things that went back to England from North African were convalescing wounded, troops being reassigned/refitted, and small amounts of captured enemy equipment sent for detailed technical evaluation. Shipping useful quantities of captured 9mm ammo back to England for future use simply would not have happened while there was active combat in the theater.

ok, back to the Luger, One of the reasons you don't see reproduction Lugers, is that anyone wanting to make one, also has to make the tooling. Mauser, when they did their run in the 70s, made the Swiss pattern Luger (one of the lesser desirable variants, which further limited its market appeal) because the only tooling still existing was in Switzerland.

Lugers point very well for a lot of people. Numerous famous gun writers from the pre WWII era on have said so.

The Luger safety is in an awkward place, for those who follow American ideas. European gun designers had different ideas. There are a lot of European gun designs (rifle and pistol) where the safety is awkward or even impossible to operate with the shooting hand, in the firing grip. This is intentional! The designers intended the safety to be operated with the "off" (non firing) hand. Like wise many European service pistol holsters are "luggage cases" with straps and buckles. It was a different school of thought than what was popular in America.

The Luger is iconic, a piece of history. Even if it could be made economically competitive with other designs, it is ergonomically inferior to more modern pistols. It does point beautifully for me, and I find the toggle actually easier than SOME slides, but again, that's just me.

Its not that they can't make Lugers today, tis that they can't make them and sell them for enough money to make it profitable.
Old July 3, 2018, 01:57 PM   #28
Jim Watson

Mauser, when they STARTED their run in the 70s, made the Swiss pattern Luger (one of the lesser desirable variants, which further limited its market appeal) because the only tooling still existing was in Switzerland.

Fixed that.
The first Mauser Parabellums of the 1970s were Swiss pattern with the straight frontstrap; but they eventually set up to make the lobed German pattern frame. Before they were done, they had recreated many common and uncommon variants, and also made up some new ones.

I looked hard at a heavy barrel adjustable sight Parabellum Sport in the 1980s, but passed.

I also looked much more recently at what mimicked a 1906 Commercial, 6" barrel, German grip frame, grip safety. I passed on it because it took a gorilla grip to depress the grip safety, completely foreign to my 1911 trained hand. If it had cost less, I would have looked into deleting the grip safety and installing unslotted grips.
Old July 3, 2018, 02:39 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

"..."not invented here"..." Yep. That's an old old quirk of American political decisions. Same thing happened when the M-14 was selected over the FAL.
However, the Luger was a 19th Century design. A first generation semi-auto pistol. The issue with it in the 1907 trails was ammo related. The .45 ACP being still in development at the time. Georg Luger loaded his own ammo and it worked just fine. The U.S. Army then said they didn't want it because they couldn't get the powder he used. NIH at its finest.
Old July 3, 2018, 03:11 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

For military weapons, not invented/not made here makes more than a degree of sense. Especially in the past. Besides the potential disruption a war can cause in supplies (and if you go to war with the country making your weapons, its going to be ..difficult, at best..) there is (especially today) the dollars spent going to foreign workers, or American ones.

Note that while he have adopted foreign designs one requirement was that they had to be "made" (or at least assembled) in the US. And, that's something fairly recent, historically speaking.
Old July 3, 2018, 07:16 PM   #31
briandg

Quote:
Its not that they can't make Lugers today, tis that they can't make them and sell them for enough money to make it profitable.
I have to disagree. If they can move enough of them, it could be done. Looking at uberti, kimber, etc, winchester, even, you will see nostalgia and quality both allow people to drop well over a grand on a single pistol or rifle. If the parts could be manufactured with low tolerances, no manual fitting, the luger itself may not cost more than some of the other high cost steel guns.

To me, the question would be, are there enough people out there who would buy one at a pretty high price?

The answer comes to mind quite readily. If people were willing to pay over a grand for a pistol that would be essentially an oddball collectible safe queen, the luger would already be in production.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:22 PM   #32
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
This has not been my experience. Quite the opposite. I have found GI spec 1911/A1 guns to be VERY reliable with hardball ammo.
You're talking modern "GI Spec" 1911s, not original military weapons. Ask some old-time armorers.

Quote:
It is interesting that all US ammo makers did "underload" European cartridges. Officially it was concern for older, weaker guns, but personally, I think it was done to make American cartridges (and their guns) more attractive to American buyers.
Interesting observation. The US Manufacturers downloaded 9mm Parabellum cartridges so as to not catastrophically disassemble the few old Glisenti Model 1910s that found their way back with returning WWII GIs. The Glisenti cartridge was dimensionally identical to the Luger cartridge, but the pistol's lock-up action was significantly weaker. For similar reasons, the commercial .45-70 was loaded down for years so that loads that would be fine in a Winchester 1886 wouldn't kill some idiot that fired them in an old Trapdoor Springfield.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 3, 2018, 08:44 PM   #33
mete

with the long magazine to chamber distance the 124 weight may function better . The pistol requires good machining and good materials , hard to sell that in war.
BTW for those wanting a gun that reliably works study hard the details of the wonderful HK P7 !!
Old July 3, 2018, 10:41 PM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You're talking modern "GI Spec" 1911s, not original military weapons. Ask some old-time armorers."

I suspect that those armorers were working on guns post WW II.

It wasn't that the 1911s were unreliable with ball ammunition from the get go, it was that they were unreliable with ball ammunition because they were, in many cases, WELL past their service life and were being kept running with bailing wire and binder twine.

In many cases it wasn't unusual for a 1911 to have gone through 2 world wars, a police action, banana wars, and innumerable training cycles by the time they hit Vietnam or post Vietnam.

Post WW II a survey of military hardware found the state of the 1911s then in service to be generally poor and beyond their useful service life.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:43 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

" The US Manufacturers downloaded 9mm Parabellum cartridges so as to not catastrophically disassemble the few old Glisenti Model 1910s that found their way back with returning WWII GIs."

Except, as I note above, American manufacturers started downloading 9mm ammunition pretty much from day of introduction, which for Western, Remington, and Peters was in the early 1920s, or well BEFORE any Glisentis made it to American shores.

Also as I noted above, underloaded American commercial ammunition was largely responsible for the Light Rifle disaster, which happened in 1940, also well before Glisentis hit the American post-WW II surplus market.

" For similar reasons, the commercial .45-70 was loaded down for years so that loads that would be fine in a Winchester 1886 wouldn't kill some idiot that fired them in an old Trapdoor Springfield."

Except, at the same time 1886s and Trapdoors were on the market, virtually all US manufacturers were producing High Velocity, High Speed, Express (etc., trademarks) ammunition and selling it on the open market with little regard to some dumbass buying a box meant for the 1886 and stuffing it in a Trapdoor. Caveat Emptor.

At the same time manufacturers were producing the same kind of ammunition in .32-20, .44-40, .38-40 and .25-20, all intended for use in the 1892 Winchester.

Those rounds would also chamber, and would tend to disassemble, early Colt Peacemakers and Winchester 1873s.

The only warnings were markings on the box to not use the ammo in the older guns.

So, I don't really buy all the "it was an abundance of caution on the part of US manufacturers" explanation for the downloading of foreign military cartridges between the World Wars and after.

That's like them putting out an ad saying "We're concerned about your well being using metric ammunition in foreign guns, and protect you by loading it soft so you don't hurt yourself, but you're on your own firing out whether you've got the right ammunition for your cowboy gun. And if you choose wrong, you're a dumbass!"

Old July 3, 2018, 10:45 PM   #36
Jim Watson

Quote:
The US Manufacturers downloaded 9mm Parabellum cartridges so as to not catastrophically disassemble the few old Glisenti Model 1910s that found their way back with returning WWII GIs. The Glisenti cartridge was dimensionally identical to the Luger cartridge, but the pistol's lock-up action was significantly weaker.
People keep SAYING the 1910 Glisenti is a weak action for a light load. Yet most sources cite it as a 123 gr bullet at either 1000 or 1050 fps. Fresh Fiocchi is advertised as a 124 at 1070 fps.
That is practically THE SAME as the original 1903 9mm Luger load.
I have seen two contradictory listings. Ed Ezell rated it at 935 fps and one www site says something in the 850 fps range (I cannot now relocate the site.)

Unfortunately I do not have any US ammo data between 1939 and 1960.
In 1939 the usual load was a 124 at 1110 fps, a bit hotter than early DWM.
In 1960 the usual load was a 124 at 1120 fps, no real difference from 21 years earlier.
If American companies loaded 9mm more lightly for fear of beating up WWII Glisentis, they got over it pretty soon. (What WWII Glisentis? It was a pre WWI pistol, largely supplanted by the 1934 Beretta .380.)
I would not consider putting even a 1050 fps load in a Glisenti unless the zombies were very bad at the time.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:53 PM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Based on my research, it seems that most sources on 9mm Glisenti ammo over state its power by quite a bit, and all of it seems to come from Frank Barnes.

I believe Ed Ezell's estimates of 900 to 950 fps as the standard for the cartridge are far more correct than not.

My best guess for that is that the Italian's loaded two 9mm Glisenti rounds. That is known for certain: the standard pistol round and also a more powerful round to be used In early Italian sub machine guns. I suspect that the ballistics most people show for the round are based on the more powerful rounds for submachine guns.
Old July 4, 2018, 02:57 AM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have to disagree. If they can move enough of them, it could be done. Looking at uberti, kimber, etc, winchester, even, you will see nostalgia and quality both allow people to drop well over a grand on a single pistol or rifle. If the parts could be manufactured with low tolerances, no manual fitting, the luger itself may not cost more than some of the other high cost steel guns.
The problem is "if they can move enough of them", and to date, no one who has tried has been successful. There's always an interest in the initial run, but after that, novelty wears off and sales slump. Not saying it can't be different, but so far, it hasn't been.

About a decade ago, I got a (new in the box, but apparently out of production) Stoeger Luger. 9mm Luger. Stainless steel, made in Texas!!! it is absolutely a P.08 pattern gun (though very slightly dimensionally different enough that original p.08 magazines do not work). Beautifully made, finely fitted, excellently checkered wood grips that seem to lock into your hand. Gun was $1000 then. No idea if you can get one now, what it would cost, but a 6" Navy version (which I am kicking myself for not buying still today) was $1500 then, and I saw it at a show a few years later they were asking $2000 for it.

I haven't seen or heard of any others like them in years. Seems about everybody who tries to make a "modern" Luger sells a few, then goes belly up.

Might be because, unlike the popularity of old west style guns, Lugers, while desirable, just aren't in the same class.

The guy who "always wanted a Luger" and never got one, isn't interested in spending $1000+. The serious collector wants specific historical Lugers.

Like you mentioned, they are safe queens, and few people are willing to spend the money. That may change a bit as time passes and even "shooter" grade Lugers get into the expensive category.

Quote:
"You're talking modern "GI Spec" 1911s, not original military weapons. Ask some old-time armorers."
I don't know if I qualify as an "old-time armorer", I was Direct Support/General Support Small Arms Repairman in the mid 70s.

Quote:
I suspect that those armorers were working on guns post WW II.

It wasn't that the 1911s were unreliable with ball ammunition from the get go, it was that they were unreliable with ball ammunition because they were, in many cases, WELL past their service life and were being kept running with bailing wire and binder twine.

In many cases it wasn't unusual for a 1911 to have gone through 2 world wars, a police action, banana wars, and innumerable training cycles by the time they hit Vietnam or post Vietnam.
I was definitely one of the guys working on those guns in the 70s. Doing inspections and level 3 and 4 maintenance on those old guns (the newest .45s in the inventory were bought in 1945).

I saw guns ranging from virtually pristine 1911s to combat weary 1911A1s. NONE of them EVER came into my shop because of functioning issues. Not one, ever. Did have a grand total of 3 come to the shop, all for the same issue, rear sight replacement because the gun had been dropped landing on the sight, bashing it. and one other with a loose front sight. If significant numbers had function issues, I never heard about it.

Accuracy, on the other hand, was a different matter, and not a matter we gave ANY concern to. Some of those old worn out guns made minute of man at 25 meters an iffy thing. But we didn't care one bit about accuracy, as long as the gun functioned, it was serviceable. I supported two different brigades and some independent units in Europe and never saw any "original GI spec" .45s that weren't functional. (and with ball ammo)

Now, the whole "swish it around in the mud and it still works" is crap, an embellishment of the actual truth, which is "it will probably work". Nothing is 100%, never was. But is was substantially better (overall) than other pistols of the era, and so the legend began, and as J.R.R said, "the tale grew in the telling".
Old July 4, 2018, 04:23 AM   #39
Maynard Shooter

I'm no expert but do have my preference. I ride a motor cycle with buck horn handle bars because of the angle and ease of riding. I prefer a Luger for the same idea ease of shooting. Got my first Luger (9mm) in 1999 for $250 it is a shooter. Bought my second Luger in 2015 numbers matching 1906 American Eagle (7.65 Luger) for $2000. I liked shooting this so much that I converted my first Luger to shoot 7.65 Luger and have been enjoying a shooter that's easy to reload for and fits my shooting. (I do own a 1911 in 38 Super)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE 4 WEB.jpg (29.2 KB, 13 views)
Old July 4, 2018, 08:46 AM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

While it is prettier and more ergonomic,

1908 is more susceptible to dirt than the 1911. 1908 is also more expensive to make and requires more handfitting than the 1911.
Old July 4, 2018, 09:35 AM   #41
blchandl2

Many good points made already. I have 2 P08's, one my dad brought back from WWII (all matching #s, and documents) and a 'shooter' (import marks, refinished). I could field strip the P08 at age 6, I don't think they are very difficult.

The machining involved was one of the biggest knocks against the P08. I also agree with the NIH/Nazi aspect as I still get off-handed comments at the range when I am shooting mine.

To me there is a 'cool' factor to the P08 due to the unique mechanism. I appreciate firearms as machines and their mechanics.

I have a few 1911's. I appreciate them for different reasons. One being my dad carried one during WWII.

If a P08 is on your list to own, many fine 'shooter grade' examples can be found. It does not take much to make a P08 'shooter grade' because collectors are so finicky about originality. There are many different variations of the P08 that can change the value dramatically. Much knowledge is available on the Luger Forum, and I purchased my 'shooter' from a forum member there.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:46 AM   #42
JeffK

Lugers can be finicky. I shoot my '37 a few times a year and enjoy it - I like the feel and balance, and, well, it's just a cool historical piece. A while back it started sticking, I'd pull the trigger and nothing would happen, and I'd pull it again and it would fire. Or not, but maybe the next time after that it would fire. With some education from folks here, I figured out what was going on, a small internal piece was a hair too thin. The fix was a tiny square of painter's tape, placed in exactly the right spot, and it's been fine ever since. Stories like that seem pretty common, the tolerances on the internal workings are pretty tight and it's not hard to exceed them from wear, dirt, or ill-advised modifications.

Oh, and I should point out: I keep several handguns loaded in my house, but the Luger isn't one of them, that resides in a display case along with some antique cameras and old coins. It's a really neat gun and fun to shoot, but I would not trust it for personal protection. I run film through my antique cameras now and then, too.

Last edited by JeffK; July 5, 2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:52 AM   #43
dahermit

Quote:
Remember that the Italians were using TWO 9mm cartridges at the time -- the 9mm Glisenti and the 9mm Luger.
Not to forget the super-powerful 9MM Corto.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:14 PM   #44
briandg

Quote:
The guy who "always wanted a Luger" and never got one, isn't interested in spending $1000+. The serious collector wants specific historical Lugers.

Like you mentioned, they are safe queens, and few people are willing to spend the money. That may change a bit as time passes and even "shooter" grade Lugers get into the expensive category.
This is the problem, you are truly right there, It takes an old guy like me who would buy one. Drive it out to the range once in a while, shoot it, then put it away. Younger guys will look at it in the case and say 'what a weird thing'. Could someone put out a run of 5,000 or so and at least make a small profit? We do that over and over with other things, but as you say, that's not quite the same as creating a run of break tops for cowboys.

I think that a small maker such as kimber could put together a plan, and produce them. They would have to create a few different versions, shouldn't be too hard to change barrels and sights for some. I'm not expecting it to happen, or as we agree, it would have worked already.

now, what about the broomhandle mauser that was the basis for the starwars blaster? could we interest a bunch of young guys in having their own blaster? I've seen light sabers priced in the range of $200 and up. The doofuses out there may be interested in tossing money at a genuine, honest to god blaster. maybe even some of us old guys would want one. Still, as we both agree, if it was a practical thing, it probably would have been done. we are still looking at a cost equal or higher than a higher end 1911.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:23 PM   #45
ttarp

I think $1,000 is a fair/good/ideal price for a new manufactured Luger, but it wouldn't sell well because of several of the reasons stated above, collectors would only buy them in anticipation of the company going under and thus becoming somewhat collectable, but most are interested in pistols with war history. The fellow looking for a "shooter" Luger can readily get them for $700 to $900, and have a "real" Luger for cheaper. The only chance a new Luger would have is if it was heavily marketed as a target pistol, maybe for bullseye matches perhaps. They really are neat pistols, but people want plain looking plastic pistols that cram as many rounds into what's often a mediocre grip as possible, because anything else just "isn't" practical. The same reason why pleasant shooting medium sized .32ACP pistols are also shunned these days.
Old July 7, 2018, 08:29 AM   #46
PushPuller

My dad had one that was absolutely mint! He got it for a little over $1000 and despite not wanting it he couldn't pass up the value on it and it was suspected to be unfired. looking back now I would have swore that it had a longer than standard barrel. But as a 13 year old WW2 buff I can remember wanting to shoot that thing so bad, holding and looking at it just wasn't enough. Unfortunately years later he sold and I have yet to see one in person since let alone handle one.

Needless to say, if somebody started reproducing them and they were turning out reliable and less than $1000 I would buy one in a heartbeat. Id also buy a new version of the Walther P38 too!
Old July 8, 2018, 07:04 PM   #47
jmstr

I can't contribute much regarding Lugers, but I did want to point out that Germany approved the replacement of the Luger handgun when they contracted to purchase what we know as the Walther P38 Pistol [named for year of approval- 1938].

Yes, Mauser was making Lugers until about 1942, as the owner of the plant was dragging his heals on making the switch, but by late 1942 the Mauser plant was making P38 pistols [I have a Mauser-made P38, from early 1943].

Anything with the tighter tolerances of the Luger required more care for reliability.

Furthermore, my recollection was that the Germans wanted a 'safer' pistol.

The P08 had:
  • DA/SA trigger, to avoid accidents on first shot.
  • Easily verified Loaded Chamber Indicator [by touch- at night even it is easy].
  • Firing Pin Safety Block- that only allows firing pin to move forward as trigger is pulled.
  • Decocker/Safety, that prevented the firing pin from moving forward when actuated, so that the hammer could rest on it and the firing pin was doubly blocked.

And, of course- it was cheaper to manufacture than the P08.

And, the 1911 had more safeties built in than the P08 Luger [thumb AND grip safety- vs thumb safety on Luger]. Neither had firing pin block/drop safety.

As to why we see the 1911- that has a LOT to do with our nations' belief in the superiority of a bigger hole in the enemy- starting at least from the Philippine War, when we went from .38 to .45 due to these concerns.

We looked upon the 9mm round as less than ideal at that time.

It could be argued that 9mm was equally fatal [lack of penicillin or other antibiotics], but the thought was that the .45 was more immobilizing.

The Europeans continued to prefer .32 and .380acp [7.65 and 9mmKurtz] for police use until sometime after WWII. Here, our police's most common sidearm was the .38special- so we can't sneer too much at the projectile size- but power? Come on!

The European model of 9mm became a standard, and then an international standard.

We stuck to the .45acp until the 1980s, and the cult of the 1911 has remained in effect ever since.

Prior to 1980, there were precious few 9mm options made here: S&W 39 and 59 was about it. We imported BHPs in 9mm, and then there were the Walther P38/P1 pistols imported in larger numbers in the 1960s, or the Luger bring backs.

Yet, the 1911 was probably the most popular/common semi-auto centerfire defensive/military handgun- as it was the US Army's handgun.

Many came back from their military service with experience with the 1911- and the assumption that 9mm was inferior.

I think it was more about caliber attitudes than platforms.

I have no Lugers, and would only get one if it was a great shooter that was under $800.

Otherwise, I am fine with my 1911s, my Walther [mauser] P38, my Star Model B [9x19mm but looks/feels like 1911], or my other handguns.

I am more likely to get a CZ24 in .380 than a Luger, as the CZ24 is pretty neat, and costs under $500.

Anyway- enjoy reading and learning. Have a good time and keep the powder dry!
Old July 8, 2018, 10:43 PM   #48
rock185

Thoughts: I've owned two Lugers and a bunch of 1911 types. Neither of my Lugers, a 1918 DWM and 1938 Mauser, were reliable with any ammo I tried. The Lugers are certainly charismatic guns, but my examples were not reliable. I have to wonder, if an outfit like Mauser couldn't make new production Lugers long term profitable, who would be in a better position to do so? Would CNC machining and MIM internals allow commercial Luger success?
FWIW, The one 1911A1 I owned, and others I was issued, never malfunctioned with ball ammo. Perhaps the Luger demands more precision in manufacture, and success of the 1911 types is due to the fact that they are both simpler to manufacture, and are an inherently more reliable design?
Old July 9, 2018, 02:45 AM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The P08 had:
DA/SA trigger, to avoid accidents on first shot.
Easily verified Loaded Chamber Indicator [by touch- at night even it is easy].
Firing Pin Safety Block- that only allows firing pin to move forward as trigger is pulled.
Decocker/Safety, that prevented the firing pin from moving forward when actuated, so that the hammer could rest on it and the firing pin was doubly blocked.

I will assume you meant P.38, not P.08.

I had to look for a bit, but I did finally find the loaded chamber indicator on the P.38. It's not where I expected to find it.

The DA trigger feature was, at the time, considered more of a "second strike" capability than anything else. 1930s ammo wasn't quite as reliable as ammo is (and we expect it to be) today. While the DA did allow a rapid first shot from hammer down & safety OFF, it wasn't something emphasized back then, like it is today. Being able to second strike a primer that didn't fire the first time was a bigger concern at that time (judging from period literature).

The Walther hammer drop on the mechanically locked firing pin works, but isn't the safest system possible. While rare, it can break, and if it does, the gun will fire when the safety is put ON!! (I've seen it happen).
Old July 9, 2018, 07:29 AM   #50
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yes, Mauser was making Lugers until about 1942, as the owner of the plant was dragging his heals on making the switch"

No, not really.

The original German rearmament plans called for production to be phased out at Mauser AFTER the P38 was up and running at Walther as part of a very orderly process.

More importantly, German rearmament plans called for production for an anticipated war in the middle to late 1940s, NOT 1939.

Once Hitler took the nation to war in 1939, keeping what you had in production was more important than switching to the new gun and interrupting the supply, so the original armament plans calling for Luger production to end in 1942 were kept.

"The Europeans continued to prefer .32 and .380acp [7.65 and 9mmKurtz] for police use until sometime after WWII. Here, our police's most common sidearm was the .38special- so we can't sneer too much at the projectile size- but power? Come on!"

Not Kurtz. Kurz.

Many French police were still armed with MAB Model D .32s when I was there in the 1980s, even with the terrorism issues they were having at the time.

Of course, even even beat and traffic cops had a MAS 36 rifle or MAT 49 or GEVARM D4 submachine gun slung over their backs.

Part of the reason why European police stayed with the smaller calibers longer is the simple fact that Europe didn't see the kind of crime or violence levels that the US did, and often the handgun was seen more as a symbol of authority than an actual tool, which was very different from the US experience.