The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 20, 2018, 12:54 AM   #1
joneb

Right vs left barrel twist?

Why are most barrels right twist?
I am not sure if spin drift and the coriolis effect are worth the worry, but in the northern hemisphere if the coriolis effect is said to cause the bullet to impact right of the target do to the counterclockwise rotation of the earth. And spin drift for a right hand twist can cause the bullet to drift to the
right, if this is true I would think a left twist barrel would be better in the northern hemisphere.
I realize the wind is the real culprit but my question is directed at long range shooting at 1000 yds and more.

Last edited by joneb; June 20, 2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:59 AM   #2
cptjack

asked about this over 20 yrs ago ,and co senses was no difference
Old June 20, 2018, 05:08 AM   #3
std7mag

Shouldn't make a difference for coriolis, from my understanding of it.
Gunwerks i think did a video on coriolis. Mostly shooting long distance (1000 yards) east, then west. Had to do more with elevation.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 20, 2018, 07:59 AM   #4
5whiskey

Quote:
Had this discussion during a recent shooter's course at Camp Butner. Our consensus determination, which the instructor agreed with, was that the first rifled barrels were given a right hand twist for whatever reason... maybe tool limitations or maybe no other consideration other than a decision had to be made and it was chosen to twist to the right. And most everyone else copied the first guy, and almost everyone has been doing it ever since. Humans tend to be creatures of habit, and unless there is a need to change something then we seldom do.

Another example of this is the fact that railroad gauges are nearly identical to horse-drawn carriage axles, and even chariot axles dating back to Roman times. Could the railroad gauge have been changed and possibly have been more efficient? Sure... but a lot of factors played into it, and some of the first locomotives actually pulled carriages originally built as horse drawn carriages, but with modified wheels. Engineers noticed that it worked, and no one ever decided to change it. Same lies true with barrel twist.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 20, 2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since probably 99% of all rifle shots (my guesstimate) are at less than 300 yards, we're back to Hillary's famous question.

FWIW, from my college daze of over a half-century ago, the coriolis force acts in an east-west direction. Its primary effect would thus be highest on a north or south shot. None on a shot directly to the east or west.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Don Fischer

Use caution with your right twist barrels. If you load left twist bullet's they cone out the back of the rifle!
Old June 20, 2018, 02:24 PM   #7
std7mag

I hate it when that happens!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 20, 2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
Actually, the reason is simple. They are made that way so that with every shot, the barrel torques itself tighter. The bullet hits the rifling, and inertia tries to keep it from spinning, but the rifling forces it to spin. Equal and opposite reaction causes torque on the barrel in a clockwise direction, tightening the barrel. Once someone figured that part out, tradition takes over.

But what of the barrels with left hand twist, you ask? Colt made left hand twist barrels as well, and there are no stories about the time Colt SAA barrels unscrewed themselves, so I think the effect is grossly overstated.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:41 PM   #9
RC20

Sound like another gun urban legend.

I believe there were something like 3 million Model of 1917s made (add in the P14s and ......)

Ain't none of them come unscrewed.

The story is that the brits thought that the right drift was really cool for Australia so they made them for shooting down under. US didn't change of for the 1917.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:34 PM   #10
joneb

" Equal and opposite reaction causes torque on the barrel in a clockwise direction, tightening the barrel."

If that was a concern just reverse the barrel and receiver threads.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:09 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If something has never happened, the alleged cause that it might happen is likely a very silly idea.
Old June 21, 2018, 08:31 AM   #12
J.G. Terry

TD's and 03's sight?

How come the long range portion of 03's and TD Buffington 1884 sights were at a noticeable angle? Don't know about Krag's as all I have seen recently have been "sporterized and redid" by Bubba. Didn't Lee-Enfields and 1917's have a left hand twist? Modified right hand twist?

Also, where do these twenty year old threads come from in this day?

Last edited by J.G. Terry; June 21, 2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: FUBR'ed
Old June 21, 2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Pathfinder45

I used to have a Colt revolver with left-hand rifling that was made in 1902. It had been fired a lot and the barrel never came unscrewed. I still have an old Ford truck that has left-hand threads on the wheel lug-nuts on the left side of the vehicle. Apparently, some truths are only true in theory, but in practical application, have no discernable effect whatsoever.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:39 AM   #14
ilmonster

Isn't it because most rifles are sold in the northern hemisphere? If they were sold in the southern hemisphere they would have the opposite twist, kind of like the phenomonon of why toilets flush clockwise vs. counterclockwise depending on which hemisphere they are in?? Yes, I'm just kidding!!!
Old June 21, 2018, 11:34 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...Why are most barrels right twist?..." Because that's how the rifling machine, most of which are modified engine lathes, was made. Makes no difference one way or the other.
The only thing that happens is the muzzle jump goes in the other direction if the twist is left.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:54 AM   #16
RC20

Quote:
How come the long range portion of 03's and TD Buffington 1884 sights were at a noticeable angle?
Because the spin drift after things out at 2500 yard! (exaggeration but....) (which no one shot in those days) - but of course they had to complicate the sight just in case.

The stupid thing is that 5 mph wind across the bullet path (effective regardless of angle, more angle more velocity of wind needed of course) would counter the drift adjust.

All nonsense but that's the military for you.

Quote:
Didn't Lee-Enfields and 1917's have a left hand twist? Modified right hand twist?
Yes the Brits used left hand twist as I noted above.

Not sure what you mean by modified right hand twist?

All OEM 1917 barrels were left. US produced WWII replacement were right. they still shot the same oddly enough.
Old June 21, 2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
Also, where do these twenty year old threads come from in this day?
Not sure I understand this one. The OP is dated June 19, 2018, and checking my computer it says today is 6/21/2018, so 2 days not 20 years.
Old June 21, 2018, 08:28 PM   #18
RC20

There you go attempting to interject logic into this.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:43 PM   #19
joneb

I did find this from " The Shooters Forum " post #16 from Jack was interesting,
https://www.shootersforum.com/genera...ing-twist.html
Old June 22, 2018, 07:40 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The majority of all people are right-handed. More threaded screws are installed than are removed. A right-hand screw is easier on the wrist when installing.

So, there might have been some similar thought in the early days of rifling with the equipment of those olden days.

Dangfino...
Old June 22, 2018, 07:58 AM   #21
J.G. Terry

Modified Right Hand Twist

Modified Right Hand Twist: You are getting too anal. In the army I convinced some folks that black was really camouflage white.

Also, I was informed that the Krag rifle did have the angled long range sight. This provision may have disappeared with the advent of more portable crew served machine guns with smokeless powder etc. Don't know about the," Potato Digger."No more volley fire as in 2500 yards. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; June 22, 2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old June 22, 2018, 08:59 AM   #22
Erno86

Psychologically? It makes a person feel better when they have a right hand twisted barrel, because it's the "right thing to do."

Try giving a raised left handed fist power salute --- instead of your right --- at certain protest marches, and some people will take it as an insult, because you did not raise your right instead.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 22, 2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old June 22, 2018, 09:09 AM   #23
J.G. Terry

That's great. Sometime the best answers are the simplest. It's all in the symbols! Right, Left and all that.

Is it possible that some snarky folks go through life with full Huggies trying to enlighten others?
Old June 22, 2018, 12:25 PM   #24
xandi

Because the engineer specificed it in the blue print(;
Old June 22, 2018, 07:57 PM   #25
osbornk

Quote:
Isn't it because most rifles are sold in the northern hemisphere? If they were sold in the southern hemisphere they would have the opposite twist, kind of like the phenomonon of why toilets flush clockwise vs. counterclockwise depending on which hemisphere they are in??

My friend just got back from visiting Australia. The first thing he did was check out the toilet flushing direction. He said the toilets are different in Australia. They flush straight down and don't swirl in either direction.