The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 27, 2016, 11:50 AM   #1
oldscot3

Persian m29

This kind of another "what's my mauser worth" thread, however I have a ball park idea except that my Persian has a numbers matching bayonet to go with.

Anyone have an idea of roughly how much value that might add?

When purchased the condition of the set was advertised as "unissued, but shows storage wear on stock".
Old July 27, 2016, 12:26 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

$100 or $200 is about right. It's hard to say, it all depends on the buyer and the seller at the time.
Old July 27, 2016, 03:47 PM   #3
oldscot3

I'm thinking of putting it up on the Texas Gun Trader... it's been in the closet for just about 25 years.

I have another just like it that I bought at the same time except without the bayonet, it's the one I always took out to shoot. As I've aged and my eyesight changed, I've found that it's not as much fun to shoot irons as it once was.

I don't often sell guns but if I do I will replace it with something scoped. The trick I guess is to settle on a price that attracts buyers but doesn't leave me feeling like I left money on the table.
Old July 27, 2016, 03:58 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Don't know about Texas but in NM those go for $500 in good condition
Old July 27, 2016, 04:13 PM   #5
oldscot3

I'm still in the research and inquiry mode right now, so it's hard to say.

There's only one on GB right now and, as is so often is the case, it's getting no bids at $700.00. It doesn't have the numbers matching bayonet though and there is something different about the stock maybe. It may have been sanded and refinished.
Old July 28, 2016, 02:31 PM   #6
highpower3006

I don't know much about them, but those Persian Mausers are about the nicest ones ever made. I would think that somewhere between $600-800 with the matching bayonet would be about right.

I remember when those first came up for sale. I have seen some where there wasn't a mark on the rifle and others where there were several bruises on the stock. The metal on all of the high condition rifles I have seen was beautiful.
Old July 29, 2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Ernest T

Samco sold excellent condition numbers matching Persian Mauser rifles with a matching bayonet, and a target a number of years ago (I'm thinking 7 or 8 years ago). Even then I think the price was around $600. In today's market you could probably get more ($800-$1200 if yours is in good shape and all numbers matching). There were a ton of them made, but they are getting harder and harder to find today.

Photos of the condition would be helpful.
Old July 29, 2016, 09:49 AM   #8
oldscot3

As mentioned earlier, when I purchased mine circa `92, Samco advertised them as "unissued, but with storage marks". What I received was very consistent with description.

All the metal is virtually flawless, inside and out, but the stock has several dings although none of them rise to level of deep dents, gouges or cracks. The stock has obviously never been refinished as the wood is very "proud" around the action and bottom metal. I've seen a number of these in past past years that had nearly perfect stocks but I'm certain they were refinished because the wood was closer to flush adjacent to action and bottom metal.

I bought several old mausers twenty or so years ago, nothing I ever found even came close to the condition of these guns. I'm thinking I'll offer it for just under a $1000.00. That gives me room to negotiate with a serious buyer... you can always go down, going up is much harder to pull off.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, it's way easier for me to buy than sell firearms.

PS. Regarding pics, I'm not skilled at taking good ones, hence my idea of just offering it in Texas. I'm hoping to meet a potential buyer in person and letting them inspect it directly.
Old July 31, 2016, 07:05 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most of the Persian Mausers that were brand new were ones made in Iran; unfortunately, those were quite "rough" with poor polishing and finishing and lots of too marks, though they shot OK.

Jim
Old July 31, 2016, 09:09 PM   #10
oldscot3

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I was under the impression that most of the rifles the Iranians actually made themselves were the short rifles.

Regardless, my long infantry rifle was BRNO made and very high quality. It's not in "brand new" condition and wasn't advertised by Samco as such. Rather my gun was sold as "unissued", meaning it was never assigned to soldier and thus never fired except at the factory. It was stacked in an armory though, and obviously moved around without a lot of care which resulted in stock dings and dents. The steel workings however, are almost like new and free of wear and tear, rust or damage inside and out, which is pretty amazing considering the eighty years or so which have passed since its manufacture.