The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 9, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
PatriciaMB

Guns & Phones

I'm new here so if this isn't the place to put it I'm sorry.

I know I need to keep accurate records of any gun or guns I buy, so I went looking for a program. I love my iPhone so much and it's so easy to look for an app that does almost anything. You know the commercials, "There's an app for that"

I found an app called MiGuns. It keeps all my info in one place. Now the best part...everyone knows a lady loves a bargain! It was on sale!
Old June 10, 2010, 07:33 AM   #2
JasonG

Welcome Patricia !

Nice first post.
The app looks like a good idea but the tin foil hat side of me wonders, can this info be accessed by others?
If my phone is lost/stolen will someone have my address and list of my "toys"?

You'll find a ton of great info here. You seem new to guns, may I suggest reading through Pax's website www.corneredcat.com Great info there.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old June 11, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
H&kusp45

+1 jason!
Old June 11, 2010, 01:15 AM   #4
DocHoliday

Gun Log's

On the BATF website you can request a free personal gun log booklet. It is a bit small and cheap looking but it does the job. The best part is it self explanatory and will make sure you have all the required information for each gun you own. Also in the event a gun of yours.does go missing it is easy to copy for police records. Plus as mentioned before its not something that will be carried around and may itself get lost or stolen.
Old June 11, 2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

First post and it's a sales pitch gang.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; June 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old June 13, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
PatriciaMB

I'm not sure I understand why all the secrecy about the guns I we own. Can someone please explain. The program has a security feature that need a password.

Doc...Thanks for BTAF website info.
Old June 13, 2010, 06:34 PM   #7
grey sky

Gun Secrets (My Theory)

Guns are valuable. To be known to have or be thought to have "many" makes one a target for theft. There was a time people would keep there guns on display in glass front cabinets. Now safes are the rule. Sad.
Old June 13, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
PatriciaMB

Interesting...never thought of it that way.
But if the arsenal is big enough I would be afraid to try a break in.

Shoot firsts questions later...
Old June 13, 2010, 07:05 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

I don't know if the screening process to allow an app to be sold on the App Store involves an examination of the source code or not, but if you trust the program not to "phone home" and upload details of your collection to nefarious types, then it's simply a portable firearm-specific database, which might be a nice thing to have.

Unless you're good about offsite storage of your records and/or data, it's possible that the information in your phone might be the easiest to access after a catastrophic fire or theft, when you're dealing with the law-enforcement or insurance folks.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:59 PM   #10
booker_t

The size of your "arsenal" or collection is meaningless when it comes to home defense. I find it amusing when people think "oh, that guy has a basement full of guns, I'm sorry for the scumbag who decides to break into his place!"

You can only hold one (or maybe two) at a time. And that's once you pick it up. And that's assuming you're even home.

What happened to old fashioned pen & paper? Or MS Excel would make a nice database if you really want it. On the iPhone, there are spreadsheet and various notepad applications that are decent for taking a note, then putting it into your database back home.

I'm not buying their "reasons for needing it"

1. Been to a gun show and wanted to know if you have a gun that’s similar.
Huh? I guess if I had a few hundred similar guns, maybe this would be useful.
2. Where are the serial numbers and other important information for your weapons?
I have photos & serial numbers cataloged on paper in the house, emailed via webmail so it's always available, and on a CD both at work and home (with detailed photos). As I have with all detailed personal information. If there's a fire at home, I have it at work or on the web (encrypted/signed email).
3. Can you locate your serial numbers if your guns were stolen?
See above.
4. Could you give the police an accurate description for each of your firearms?
See above.
3. Do you know whom you sold a gun to years after the sale?
Yes, I have scans and originals of each Bill of Sale, stored as in #2.
4. Do you know the price you paid for each the firearms you own?
See above.

I got $5 that says PatriciaMB works for RB Consulting, and is promoting the MiGuns app.

Last edited by booker_t; June 14, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:00 PM   #11
PatriciaMB

There are many way to skin a cat!

I just like the HiTech method.
Old June 15, 2010, 02:41 PM   #12
riverwalker76

I prefer to stay "Low Tech" when it comes to my personal property.

The iPhone still has it's security issues, and I would not trust it to keep my information safe. The apps are not 100% secure, and have seen horror stories about people getting their data stolen, exploited, etc ....

If you trust your personal property to an iPhone ... so be it, but you won't catch me doing it. With the iPhone ... anyone with a WiFi connection and the 'know how' can duplicate your images, phone book, personal docs, etc ....

I think you are being a bit naive in thinking the iPhone is secure for personal information. Would you trust your computer to the internet without a firewall or antivirus? Then don't trust an iPhone with anything other than images you don't care to share with everyone and phone numbers.

Here's what a 2 second Google search brought up.... http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/02/...aw-discovered/

Last edited by riverwalker76; June 15, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:18 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

trust vs gag reflex

I don't trust electronics accidentally dropped in the toilet. Or carried in the rain.
I don't trust electronics that require a battery (or a cord, for that matter).
I don't trust electronics connected in ANY way to ANYONE.

But I can write with a stone on a rock, ay? (and apparently THAT can last for over thirty thousand years.....)
Old June 19, 2010, 11:20 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

back-up

I like "HiTech" when appropriate (but even the NSA is having woes with 'intruders'.....).
Old June 27, 2010, 03:12 PM   #15
PatriciaMB

iPhone...MiGuns

Every lady like a sale!

I was searching the App Store and saw that MiGuns is doing a "2nd Amendment Sale" $2.99 for the MiGuns full version.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:26 PM   #16
The_Vigilante

Guns & Phones

You're going to trust an app that sells for $2.99? Good Luck!!!
Old June 28, 2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Skans

Phones & Guns - now that's something I was interested in - a gunphone. However, they are too expensive, too hard to find, and NFA which requires a CLEO sign-off
Old June 28, 2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Edward429451

It is a sales pitch

Oh goody, it's a 2nd amendment sale...can I run to put all my gun info in it?

Could you talk about something else to do with guns?
What's your gun?
How long have you been shooting?
What brand of hearing protection do you have?
WHat's the diff between Weaver and Isocoles?
Old June 28, 2010, 11:46 AM   #19
Pahoo

Patricia
You will find that most gun owners are private and protective. Both directly proportional to what they own and how many. You bring out a good point that regardless, one should have a tracking system and data base. There have been too many Widows that have been left with the burden of trying to dispose of their Husband's collection. You are certainly free to use whatever system you wish.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 3, 2010, 12:29 AM   #20
PatriciaMB

Thank you for coming to my defense!

In answer to the sales pitch questions here are my answers.
1. I shoot CZs. I have a CZ75 40cal, CZ P01 9pm, CZ 97 45cal, I also have a Micro Dersert Eagle, a Glock 26 and several other guns.
2. I have been shooting for 5 years. My favorite type of target are Shoot-n-Sees.
3. I use pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic earmuffs.

So to those that thought just because I was giving a testimonial to a product I liked, it was no sales pitch. I'm an avid shooter. But based on the response I was given on this forum I'll take my thoughts to a forum that doesn't ask me to pass a test!
Old September 3, 2010, 01:57 AM   #21
qcpunk

PatriciaMB, Welcome to TFL!

I'm not sure that I would use my cell phone for logging my firearms.... I think there may be too many opportunities for the data to get lost if I lost my phone, or the rare instance that someone may access that info from the network..

As others have mentioned, the BTAF log books are Excellent, but I just use two of those black and white marbled journals. I log it as follows...

Date Purchased..Manuf..Model..Caliber..Serial..Notes..Date Sold..To Whom

9/2/10..Ruger..MkII..(.22LR)..D1XXX..Used/good cond...9/4/10..John Smith DL#GFxxxxx.

One of those journals remains in my gun safe while the other remains in my personal/documents safe. Both safes are as secured in place as possible.

If you are involved in high volume exchange, you may want to start a spreadsheet on a computer that is not typically connected to the internet?

At any rate, welcome to TFL and I hope you enjoy your time around here. We are lucky to have a lot of very knowledgeable people around here.

--QC Punk
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old September 3, 2010, 11:18 AM   #22
Edward429451

Oh don't be so thin skinned
Old September 3, 2010, 11:35 AM   #23
thesheepdog

The only Gun APP i am getting on my iphone 4 is the ballistics/reloading app.
Old September 3, 2010, 12:27 PM   #24
Sgt.Saputo

Quote:
can this info be accessed by others?
Without a doubt. I talked to someone who has an app on his droid (or something like that ) that lets him access peoples phones around him and get their contacts list, look at and use their apps, etc. IMHO it's a bad idea to put records of your firearms on your phone.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337