The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Casparado

Gun safe questions

Well, as the title implies, I just bought my first gun safe! (No more damn trigger locks, as it is being installed in my bolt-locked bunker.)

So, my question are, How do most people dehumidify their safes? I got a cannon model that has an accessory plug at the bottom, so I can install one of those bars (although I have no idea how they work )

Also, how many people store their ammo in their safe as well? I remember reading somewhere that it was a bad idea because in case of a fire the ammo would go off and destroy everything in the safe. But, if it got hot enough in the safe to set off ammo, wouldn't everything in the safe be destroyed anyway? So, is it safe to store lg. quantities of ammo in a safe? (I think I have more ammo that will fit in the safe anyway, but I want to store the REALLY expensive stuff inside it.)

Thank you in advance for your replies
Currently: Ruger Mini-30 w/ millet red dot, Mossberg 930-spx, Remington pump 12ga 2+1, Ruger 10/22, Phoenix HP22RM, Beretta 92FS, Browning HP 9mm, S&W M.G. in 45LC, Mosin Nagant Izzy Hex, and a couple safe queens.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
robthebuilder

I have an Eva-Dry unit for moisture control... seems to be working fine. I store ammo in the bottom of my safe. Some people say it's ok, some don't. Ever throw ammo in a camp fire? Takes a while to pop doesn't it? I'm more concerned about thieves than fire, so I'm going to leave it in the safe.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
TheGoldenState

Welcome to the Cannon Safe family

What series did you get if you dont mind me asking? Color?

I have the T-36 and T-54 and have a bit of advice for you. With Cannon keypads DO NOT put your code is fast. Do it slow otherwise you will find it won't open even with the correct code being put it, sometimes. and as you know, after 3 entries you'll be sitting around awhile before getting another shot then even longer if a screw that one up.

For the Dehumidifyers, i don't use the bottom opening, rather a wireless dehum. Got it from where i got the safe. You put it in the little rock things are pink (or whatever color) and every few weeks when you check the color will have changed to signal to you to take it out plug it in (any standards outlet) and wait a few hours for it to "cleanse," or release the moisture. Very easy, works great.

As for ammo. It takes up space and youd be surprised how fast a spacious safe gets filled. I have loaded mags and a few dozen boxes of various ammo in the bottom of the 54, but all my ammo is stored in Military Green Ammo Boxes (all weather), and store them elsewhere.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Casparado

Not sure if it's a T-36 or a T-54. All it says is model EX-20, series PL. Color is black. Manufacture date 2010, 2nd qtr. Got it from Costco while they were on sale for around $650 inc. tax and shipping!

BTW, I have another question. How in the h#ll do you get it off the pallet it's bolted to without tipping it over???

FYI: in case anyone is interested, in order to get it into the bunker, I called up a buddy of mine who works for a propane company. He brought out the boom truck (the one they use to install BIG propane tanks on peoples' property with.) We hitched it up and lowered it down. It was a cinch!

But now it's down there, still bolted to the pallet and I'm afraid of tipping it over trying to get it off the pallet. Any suggestions?

BTW, thank you for the advise on keying it in slowly. The first time I did it I did it slowly and it worked fine. Now I know to always do it that way. Many thanks!
Currently: Ruger Mini-30 w/ millet red dot, Mossberg 930-spx, Remington pump 12ga 2+1, Ruger 10/22, Phoenix HP22RM, Beretta 92FS, Browning HP 9mm, S&W M.G. in 45LC, Mosin Nagant Izzy Hex, and a couple safe queens.

Last edited by Casparado; August 13, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:45 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

Well its neither a T-35 nor T-54, its an EX-20 different models.

as far as the pallett, the Gun Safe Co. where i got mine delivered it and took off the pallett. Mine isnt bolted in as it is in a room in the house.

Careful, last thing ya want is droppin it on her side.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Casparado

Ya I am stumped here. I was thinking of building a wooden ramp to slide it down on, but that seems like an awful lot of work just to get it off the pallet. I would ask my buddy with the boom truck to help me again (we could just lift it up, un bold and set back down, but he said that just the first time was a BIG favor (and risk to his job) as he's not supposed to use that truck for anything but propane.)

Ya, really stumped here. All comments/suggestions highly appreciated!!!
Old August 13, 2010, 03:56 PM   #7
TheGoldenState

damn, hard to ask your buddy again, in that scenario. If it were me, I most probably would not.

Since its in your bunker and not in the house, any problem with leaving it on the pallet?
Old August 13, 2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Casparado

I guess I could, but I really like the idea of bolting through the plywood topped steel floor!!

(Yes my bunker is made from steel, not concrete. Concrete bleeds.... steel does not! And no it's not going to rust. We took precautions against that, too )

Plus the pallet just looks ugly. :barf:
Old August 13, 2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Casparado

I just got an idea. If I find a big enough dolly, maybe I can get the dolly between the safe and the pallet, have a couple buddies with me, tip her back till the wheels touch ground, and slide the pallet out. Not sure if it will work but it's all I can come up with right now.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:08 PM   #10
rtpzwms

I use a plug in portable dehumidifier but live in an area with 10-15% humidity.

As far as keeping loaded ammo in the safe. Small quantities would be fine but some have talked about having a safe just for ammo. I don't think that would be a good idea. The gases released from a round will take up quite a bit of room and a safe does NOT breath. Others have talked about storing powder and primers as well. I think this would be very foolish not to mention that there are storage devices for these products that will supply security and a helpful precaution from fire.

You should be able to get it off the pallet with an appliance dolly. I would still put something between the safe and the floor. If you live in an area with humidity, most areas are higher than mine, something plastic, rubber might be a good idea. I think you said you had a steel floor. If so I think I would use rubber just in case it should ever become "live". I don't think its real likely but its a ounce of prevention. You spent some good money on the safe and it would be nice to think it will open in case something stupid happened.

Welcome to owning a safe I have a T-34.

It might be a little late but check out this:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Last edited by rtpzwms; August 13, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:51 PM   #11
TheGoldenState

How big is the bunker? how deep? etc?

Obviously i understand if you dont want to give details, but i want a bunker and think about how/what i would do regularly.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Casparado

Nice link. I just read the whole thing! Lets just say that I'm glad my safe is in my bunker, because it has a lot of the "dont's" that they point out. Oh well, at least it's got an unlimited lifetime warranty!
Old August 14, 2010, 10:17 AM   #13
rtpzwms

Think of your safe this way its your FIRST safe when you outgrow it, sell it, and upgrade. At least you have a safe! Its much better than those locks.:barf: Also should anything happen and you have to report stolen guns you will feel much better telling the LEO he broke into my safe and took the guns.
Old August 16, 2010, 07:26 AM   #14
Casparado

The Golden State: My bunker is (roughly) 10'x20', and has fully above ground steel door with rotating bolt door locks. Right now it has no power but I plan on installing a solar panel and battery/inverter sys soon.

rtpzwms, if I outgrow this safe, then I will buy another, and put it right beside it!

So, it was actually pretty easy to get off the pallet with a dolly and some help from a buddy. I finally got it all put together, bolted down, took all my trigger locks off, :barf: took all the guns out of their travel cases, :barf: and set them all in display in the dehumidified safe! DAMN does it feel good. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner!!!!
Old August 21, 2010, 12:36 AM   #15
summitrt

Casparado
The Goldenrod plug in dehumidifier works great. I even them it in outdoor radio equipment cabinets to get rid of that early morning dew that used to get in the cabinets on damp days.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-Dehu...2368842&sr=8-1
Old August 22, 2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Logs

The dehumidifiers work really well (goldenrod). They heat up just a bit to take our any moisture. I also have a Cannon and Love It.
Old August 22, 2010, 03:28 PM   #17
Logs

Quote:
BTW, I have another question. How in the h#ll do you get it off the pallet it's bolted to without tipping it over???
Mine went in my basement and I left it on the skid. My basement flooded with about a inch of water, I was happy my safe was not sitting directly on the floor. Mine is 950 lbs so I don't think anyone is going to carry it away.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:31 PM   #18
JonnyP

Casparado,

Even though you've already completed your work, I thought I might offer the following.

I bought a Sturdy Safe about a year ago and had the same question: how do I get it off the pallet? So I called Sturdy and got the skinny. They said to take two 2X4s and place them longways against (pointing towards) the side of the pallet, then "walk" the safe to them so that over 1/2 the length of the bottom of the safe is on the boards. Since the boards are not as thick as the pallet, the safe will be leaning toward the boards. Then it's much easier get the pallet out from under the safe.

Sturdy also said to place a couple of thick steel washers under each corner so the safe is not resting directly on the concrete floor. After we (a strong neighbor and myself) got it into place, I rented a concrete drill and bolted it to the floor in the garage.

Beyond that, I bought a dry-rod from Sturdy and had them drill a hole through the back of the safe for the power cord, then put one of those plug-in (to dry it out) desicant thingys (got mine from Dick's Sporting Goods) on the floor of the safe next to the dry-rod. I'm double protected against moisture and humidity since I live in a humid area. I recharge the thing from Dick's about every six months and keep the dry-rod plugged in year-round. So far, I have seen zero problems with rust on any of my guns.

I also keep ammo in there on the top shelf. Is there a better place to store ammo? Maybe there is. But I prefer to keep it where I know no one else can get to it.

Just my $0.02.
Old August 23, 2010, 03:38 PM   #19
johnbt

On my safe, carpeted floor sections lifted up to expose the bolts to the pallet.

The same holes were used to bolt the safe to the basement floor. I drilled right through them into the concrete, inserted the bolts, snugged it down, sealed around/over the nuts with caulk and was finished.

I've been using GoldenRods for so many years - decades - that I can't imagine using anything else. Why mess with success, especially in a wet basement.

John
Old August 26, 2010, 04:08 PM   #20
JustDennis

I have been looking at guns safes and this thread along with the links provided a lot of good information. Thanks
Old August 29, 2010, 08:16 AM   #21
Uncle Buck

I use both golden rods (sp?) and 40 watt light bulbs to help control the humidity in my safes and storage cabinets.

The heat from the 40 watt bulb seems enough to keep the humidity level low. I also put a nice grease job on any gun I put into the safe that I will not be using for awhile.

As far as ammo storage, I have several military ammo cans (Make sure the rubber gasket is still intact) and a few of the larger plastic water-proof containers.

I pulled some ammo I had stored in a can back in 2004 and there were no signs of deterioration on the rounds and they all fired with-out a problem. Here in Missouri, it is not the heat that wears you out, it is the humidity.