The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
drftrman

Uberti parts

I have a 1967 uberti 1851 round barrel. The hammer notches are worn out, and the hand and main spring broken. Will the parts kits that Cabela's offer fit, or must I order from VTI. VTI wants $46 just for the hammer. This gun belonged to my grandfather, and is quite special to me, but I just want to get it back to functioning properly. The wife has stopped my spending until the economy eases a little, so I must keep the price down.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Kadmos

The mainspring should fit fine, might need to be filed down at the tip a slight bit if it hangs up, should be easy to see by cocking back with the handle off.

The hammer *should* fit, my mid 70's Uberti hammer interchanges with my new peitta navy just fine.

The hand will need fitting, but that will probably be the case with any hand you buy
Old June 23, 2010, 06:50 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I would check Dixie Gun works. There prices are a lot lower than VTI. I would also order Uberti parts and expect to hand fit them.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Dino.

Check Taylor's for parts too.
Also cheaper than VTI in some cases.

It's been my experience that parts for these pistols are never "drop-in" and amost always need to be fitted.

Fortunately, there are sites like this with alot of knowledgable folks who are willing to help you out should you have any questions.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Rebel Dave

Also About Cabelas as far as I know.. Theyre repair kits are for Piettas. That means a lot of fitting, if at all.

Rebel Dave
Old June 23, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
kadima

You may want to contact Uberti directly for advice about the most suitable replacements.

It's true that I live in Italy and it's easier, but when I got a second hand Remington 1858 by Uberti that had the hammer and trigger bubba-ed (just shaking the gun was enough to fire it), a phone call was all I needed to know the codes of the parts needed for a refurbishment.

their contact is [email protected]

K.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Pietta parts generally do not fit on Uberti guns - and vice versa. You would be better served to buy Uberti parts for it & save yourself the aggravation of fitting them. Don't ask me how I know that.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 23, 2010, 05:26 PM   #8
twobit

parts

call or email Cimarron Firearms here

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Parts/PartsOpener.htm

They may be able to help. They finish out many Uberti's and may have the parts you need or can direct you somewhere else.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:41 AM   #9
drftrman

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be calling dixie this morning. Might even email Uberti. I think I have the date correct, could someone look at the attached photo, and confirm please? It does not read Black Powder only any where on it. Only Cal. 36 and the proofs. Top of barrel reads Navy Arms Ridgefield NJ - Italy.

The hammer was really soft metal and the full cock notch wore out. Should I replace the trigger also? It doesn't seem to have any damage, but I do not want to ruin the new hammer or have an unsafe weapon.

(If these are too big or violate posting rules please advise)

As you can see my grandfather used this gun alot. He was a CW confederate reenactor back in the 70's.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:56 AM   #10
mykeal

Yep. 1967.

Old June 24, 2010, 05:59 AM   #11
kadima

Furthermore the "PN" stamp means "Polvere Nera" i.e. that the pistol was tested with Black Powder only.

Considering the low price of the trigger I'd change both hammer and trigger.

K.