The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2009, 04:48 PM   #1
davem

Buckhorn 209 magnum Questions

I just got the above and had a few questions. I called CVA's customer service number and the guy there acted like he never even heard of the rifle, let alone answer my questions. I hope some of you own this gun and can help out.
1. The breech plug has what looks like three wraps of spring or music wire around the outside at the back end with the prong of the wire into the area where the 209 primer goes. What is the purpose of the wire and is it used to help pull out a spent primer? The rifle came with a tool that has a depression on one end and a fork on the other but the CS guy had no idea how it was used.
and....when I screwed in the breech plug- first greasing it with CVA grease, the plug stops with these wires still exposed- I should have noted the position of the plug before removing it to begin with but I want to make sure I have the plug all the way in.
2. On page 16 on the instructions it speaks of removing the trigger assembly from the barrel, how is this done? The instructions speak of trigger mounting screws but all I see is 2 allen head screws that look more like trigger adjustment screws.
3. Cleaning. I've shot side locks for 40 years and always used hot soapy water. What solvents, solutions do you use in cleaning the trigger? Barrel? Etc? Along the same lines- I haven't used sabots and you are supposed to swab between shots- what lube/solvent do you use?
4. Lowering the bolt- I know this sounds stupid but the instructions say not to lower the bolt but on the other hand the bolt has to be lowered prior to removing the bolt spring. It seems if you hold the bolt handle and gently lower the bolt that such would not harm the striker, etc.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
FrontierGander

that wire in the BP is to hold the primer in.

The BP tool has a slotted end that removes the 209 BP and the other end is to remove the #11 nipple if that rifle is set up for it.

Never lower the bolt onto a primer rifles or else it could set off the rifle.