The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 1999, 01:24 PM   #1
Mikie

Can someone explain the difference between these types of "jacketed" bullets? I always look for the best deals in bullets for reloading 40 and 45 and see that brands like Rainier are listed as electroplated. Are electroplated not as strong a bond over the lead as jacketed? At higher velocities will the electroplate come off in your barrel? Any comments on cheaper brands such as Montana Gold, Rainier, Berry's etc would be appreciated. Also Remington Golden Sabres are listed as "brass" jacketed. How does this compare to other jacketed rounds from Remington and Winchester?

Thanks,

Mikie

------------------
Old November 11, 1999, 09:11 PM   #2
karlfitt

Electroplated brass chemically bonds with the lead. It will NOT come off. It is thinner than a standard jacket, but I don't think that matters. The triton cartridges I use that use Rainer bullets have not left any lead in my barrel.

Karl
Old November 11, 1999, 09:32 PM   #3
Badger

I've been using Berry plated bullets in .357 and .44 mag with no leading problems.My understandng is that the plating on these are not as thick as a jacketed bullet and should not be loaded to velocities exceeding 1100 fps although some of the loads I used exceeded that and I still had no problems. I don't see the value in a copper wash bullet as it does nothing to prevent leading.
Old November 12, 1999, 09:20 AM   #4
WalterGAII

I've been shooting 160gr. plated bullets from West Coast Bullets at 1200fps+ through a compensated, .400 Cor-bon Accu-Match barrel in my Glock 21. Great accuracy out to 100 yds, and I haven't noticed any leading or copper fouling. (I clean pretty well after shooting 200 rounds or so.)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!