The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 9, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1
PinnedAndRecessed

They actually wear this?

Bianchi holster. Seriously, this has got to be some fit dude to be able to walk/run/jump with this on his leg. Figure, what, Glock with hicap mag?

He's a better man than I.
Old March 9, 2006, 01:40 AM   #2
shooter_john

I wear a Glock 27 in a DeSantis holster, that's probaly very similar to what's pictured... I have never had any problems. The only thing in that pic that I see is that there is no padding on those straps, and boots or no boots, you'd want some padding halfway through your shift most definitely. After a day or two of wearing a rig like that, you hardly know it's there.
Old March 9, 2006, 06:53 AM   #3
threegun

Looks like it make me run in circles lol. I can only manage to comfortably carry a kel-tec p-32 in the ankle rig.
Old March 9, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
The British Soldier

Nice boots though!

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old March 9, 2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Twycross

Quote:
Nice boots though!
Yup. Comfortable, too. I have the 6" model that I wear to work. It looks a lot like a dress shoe when the pantlegs aren't tucked in.
Old March 9, 2006, 03:48 PM   #6
woodland

Quote:
Nice boots though!

Yup. Comfortable, too. I have the 6" model that I wear to work. It looks a lot like a dress shoe when the pantlegs aren't tucked in.
Me too. I have the 8" Stealth boots. They are the waterproof ones. Nice and light. That's what I like.

To stay on topic, I had an ankle rig for my 26, and I didn't think it was too heavy. My problem was all my pants were too small at the bottom to hide it. Never was into bell bottoms, and Levi 501's are just too tight for an ankle rig. Otherwise I would carry one there.
Old March 12, 2006, 07:30 AM   #7
AK103K

The holsters that go around the boot are a lot more comfortable for long wear than the ones right on your leg. I have Galco Ankle Glove for my P230 that has an extender for wearing over my boots. I tend to only use this holster anymore when I'm wearing boots as its not as comfortable just on my leg. I do have a Desantis ankle holster for it, that is much more comfortable when worn this way. The biggest problem I find, especially when wearing boots, is finding pants, that I'm willing to wear, that are big enough in the leg at the bottom for everything to fit right. Its tough enough without the boots and I mostly wear full cut, straight leg pants.
Old March 12, 2006, 08:21 AM   #8
tpdx899

Thanks for the information guys. I am trying to decide how to wear my Glock 27 for a back-up. I think most on my department wear a vest holster, but I am sure that some wear an ankle holster.
Old March 12, 2006, 09:31 AM   #9
LICCW

G27 ankle

I tried to use an ankle rig for a G27. I just could not get it to be comfortable. Not so heavy to be a problem, but just very uncomfortable. I coldn't get used to it, and I could not effectively draw it quicky enough. I wanted to wear it at my business as a BUG, but it ws not effective. I wonder if a Kahr PM9 or a Kel-Tec would have been more practical.
Old March 12, 2006, 09:41 AM   #10
tlm225

I carried my G-27 in a Galco ankle glove. It felt strange and off balance for 2-3 days but after that I never really noticed it. It stayed secure running, climbing etc...
Old March 12, 2006, 03:15 PM   #11
smince

I've worn my Colt Defender and a LW Officers ACP in an ankle rig. Wear with Boot cut jeans or docker-style pants and concealment isn't a big problem. Most of the holster makers have ankle rigs for guns like the G29/27, S&W3913, Officers ACP, etc. I've had people tell me that the Makarov and the SIG 230/232 were too big for this carry. Like any other carry, let your weapon dictate the way you dress, not vice-versa. I sure wouldn't be a wearing the latest men's fashions if it didn't allow me to carry anything larger than, say, a Keltec.