The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 7, 2006, 06:24 PM   #51
threegun

Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable. Be extra nice to LE if you are pulled over and you will be fine. Trade in those tired wheel guns for a reliable 20th century fightin gun like the Glock. You won't need to carry two guns anymore.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:00 PM   #52
Model520Fan

newerguy,

Sorry if I misread your intention. So far, it appears that I do not fit your definition of having a reason. However, your concern that I might appear in front of a jury without being able to articulate a reason for three guns is, in my opinion, intelligent forethought. My reason, even though all of the guns I carry are more reliable than Glocks under the anticipated conditions, is access to a gun under the anticipated conditions. I consider it prudent to have at least one gun available to the right hand and at least one gun available to the left hand, and there should be a gun available whether I am seated or standing. There are a number of ways of achieving this, depending on choice of clothing, physical condition and other factors. An upside-down shoulder holster would probably do it with one gun, as would some cross-draw holsters. Neither of these fit my normal mode of dress. Without dragging this out further, the desired availability usually requires two or three guns.

How do YOU access your gun quickly when you are belted into your car?

How do YOU access your gun when you are carrying something else, or when someone grabs your right wrist firmly?
Old March 7, 2006, 10:06 PM   #53
jarhed

what cops think

About two weeks ago I was involved in a civil legal action where I KNEW the PD would be involved. I was assisting in the removal of property from a business (partners splitting up) where the other partner had called 911 on several other occasions. The lawyers were involved and sure enough the 911 call said it was a robbery with "8 guys w/guns & masks". I ALWAYS carry but this time I left my artillery locked in my vehicle. When the cops showed it was just like "COPS" (as I expected). They did a tactical approach-and-apprehend with show your hands-walk towards me-drop to your knees-cuff and search. When they had us secure they checked my wallet and found my CCW and drivers license. "Where is your gun"!!! When I explained that I expected the 911 call and didn't want them "nervous" their attitude got MUCH better. I'm 52 and short haired w/ a neat beard and a white guy. If I had raised my shirt (as instructed) and they saw my 1911 (carried for years) or my FiveseveN (current carry) the tension level would have gone to warp factor 9. One cop said later (about the 911 caller) "What the hell is wrong with them-someone could end up shot over a BS call." They were especially worried about the FN. "What do you need that for,we don't like those pistols." Was I legal ? YES. Could I carry? YES. Was it smart not to? You decide. When they asked why I carry I gave my usual reply-Because I can & I'll never be an easy victim. That was something they understood.
Old March 7, 2006, 10:59 PM   #54
newerguy

You've got a point. I must say that, while your reason for carrying multiple guns still makes your practice different that what most people do, it's one I can understand. I agree that with most modes of carry, other than a sholder holster, you can't easily draw a gun while wearing a seat belt. Come to think of it, my father used to always stick his between the seat and the seat back. He was a cop, and it didn't matter, technically, if it was visible (in NYS, cops don't need to keep their guns concealed, obviously, and if he got stopped, he woundn't be in any trouble). If I was carrying, I wouldn't be able to keep hold of something in my right hand and draw a gun. I'm not saying that I share your concern, but I can understand it. My bother's a New York City cop, and he doesn't carry a backup gun, but said some guys do, and one reason they carry in an ankle holster is so they can get to it if they are on the ground fighting someone.

Doug,

Not many people carry loaded rifles or shotguns in thier cars in my neck of the woods (technically, that's an Enviornmental Conservation Law violation in New York). I can't speak for other parts of the country. I I've said my bit, I think Glenn's given this more thought than I have, and has problably put his thoughts togeather better than me. Do what you want. I think you're risking the bad kind of attention. Both threegun and jarhead make some other valid points.

Jarhead, sounds like you kept yourself out of trouble by thinking before getting into something. They teach you that at TBS, or did you learn the hardway? (Neither for me, I had more excuses than guts, but I know some real proud Marines.)
Old March 8, 2006, 12:29 AM   #55
meplat

Quote:
Again I just want to remind people that stolen guns are used in crimes. Your gun can be used to rob, rape, and kill if someone steals it.
I'm really not sure I get the logic behind this line of thought. Scotland is now in the process of knife "buy-backs" because of escalating knife inflicted injuries.

Would you hold yourself liable if someone broke into your home, stole a nice long butcher knife from your knife block, and then used it to rob, force a woman to submit to rape, or kill someone?

Philadelphia was a hub of baseball bat related deaths a few years back. Quiet, no waiting periods, and even if someone survived such an assault, they (even if willing) might just well be too vegetive to testify at trial.

Should someone burglarize you and steal a baseball bat, would you hold yourself responsible for any mayhem that followed?

Do you have a super secure knive safe? A secreted paneled baseball bat hidey hole? No? Hmmm...me neither.

I think I'd blame the scumbag(s) who stole my knives, baseball bats, tire irons, axes or kaiser blades from my woodshed, limbs off of one of my trees, or even rocks from my driveway and used them to commit a crime. If you think differently about any of the above, you are being inconsistant.

Why do you draw the line at holding firearms owners responsible for thuggery usage of something stolen from them???

Daid is daid. Raped is raped. Robbed is robbed.
Old March 8, 2006, 05:54 AM   #56
Model520Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newerguy
I must say that, while your reason for carrying multiple guns still makes your practice different that what most people do, it's one I can understand.
You don't know what most people do (nor do I).
Old March 11, 2006, 12:46 AM   #57
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
I seem to be posting in a plethora of these threads tonight...

When we finally get CCW here in WI, I'll be carrying three (usually): .45 1991 Compact IWB @3:30, Taurus 850 IWB @ 10 (available to either hand), and a Smith 19 .357 in my vest (my "colors"). Should an officer stop me, and I have to disclose, I'll be more than happy to let him know where each is, and allow him to disarm me (if he feels it is necessary). My biggest fear isn't being seens as "extreme", it's unning into an officer who feels the ned to disarm me, but is unfamiliar with the MOA of the weapons in question...
Old March 11, 2006, 02:01 PM   #58
TheGunShack

I just wanted to say that here in TN we have "Handgun Carry Permits" that cover loaded long guns as well. We're not required to conceal our handgun(s), tho most do. Most everyone I know carries two, one being a NAA .22, sorta like a group thing. It may do the job. At least there is hope. The other in most cases is a Glock, tho I usally carry the S&W 696. Single action is my first pick, but mine are too big to carry around, & my tied down holster wouldn't look to good in the mall

"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15b
Closed Thread