The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Dgremlin

West Coast Bullets

Has anyone tried any West Coast Bullets? The local gun shop carries some and I was thinking of loading some for my Super Redhawk .44 mag. I haven't been able to find much info on this company.
Old February 13, 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
rn22723

They are nice bullets, and you must remember that they are plated not jacketed. You would be wise to use lead slug loading data.
Old February 13, 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Japle

I like their 9mm 115s for 9mm and .38 Super and the 200 gr .44s for the Special.
My ported compact .45 Witness strips the plating off and spits it out of the ports and back into my face, so I stick with regular JHPs.

John
Cape Canaveral
Old February 13, 2005, 08:16 PM   #4
esheato

West Coast Bullets makes an excellent product. Good bullets at decent prices. Their prices were a lot better before they were bought out.

They were recently sold and their new name is Accura Bullets. Same location, same machinery, same management, just a different owner.

Their website is also severely lacking since the new ownership took over.

Accura Bullets

Ed
Old February 13, 2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

The change in ownership of WCB is not the most encouraging news I've heard in a while. WCB are my favorites--consistent, seating depth canalures (unlike Rainier), quick delivery and low cost. The cost of shipping used to be included in the purchase of 1000 quantities, now is a 6% extra. The move to Nampa also means I probably can no longer order one morning and receive them by the next afternoon with standard ground UPS.

The $44.60 is probably close to previous quantity prices.

I assume that what is listed as RNFP is what WCB previously called RN? Correct??

*SIGH*
Old February 13, 2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Robert M Boren Sr

I've been using westcoast bullets for some time now in my 45 auto at max loading without a hitch. I have recovered bullets and at that velocity nothing was showing about the jacket splitting. If it does call westcoast ane they'll replace them. I feel they are good bullets, maybe not for competition but good for plinking and gophers.
Old February 14, 2005, 02:47 AM   #7
Dgremlin

I haven't actually seen one. What exactly are they plated with? And someone said to use lead slug data for loading?
Old February 14, 2005, 02:56 AM   #8
Guy B. Meredith

West Coast Bullets, Rainier bullets and one other are total copper plate.

WCB and Rainier claim theirs are double struck--I guess this means the lead core is struck to shape before plating and then plated bullet is struck (shaped) again. Maybe someone can confirm/correct that.

One forum member once sectioned all three brands and claimed WCB to have the heaviest plating. I have used them in .357 magnum loads up to about 1300 fps but haven't retrieved them for examination.

Plated bullets are neither fish nor fowl; neither lead nor jacketed. There are very few load charts for them so you need to start off with a high end lead load and progress as normal from there.

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; February 14, 2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old February 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

Westcoast was bought out by another company, but here's their web address, http://www.accurabullets.com/