The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2004, 05:31 AM   #1
1 shot, 1 hit

Scopes, Mounts and Rings; please help!!!!

Hi, im relativly new in this forum and monderd, if you guys could help me choose a good scope and solid, stable and reyable rings that do not moove easely. The thing is this;
I have bought myselve a RWS Diana model 54 (the one with the anti-recoil system) That is a realy good rifle and very accurate (I have it in .177/4.5 cal) and ofcause such a good rifle, also needs a good scope and good mounting With that rifle, the shooter dosn't feal the recoil at all but the scope that is mounted on a normal scope rail, gets quite of a *BANG* when you shoot so i need a scope that withstands high recoil and is very durable.
i alredy looker at a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 rainguard scope and wanted to know, if that would be a good chice for my rifle and which would be the best rings or mounts to use in to get maximum solidness and relyabillity.
and also: what do you think abaut Gamo scopes ?

Would be nice if someone could help me thanks

Last edited by 1 shot, 1 hit; July 1, 2004 at 06:48 AM. Reason: need help!!
Old July 6, 2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Dr. Van Van Mojo

First, I don't shoot myself but I have done a fair amount of research in the area. I think what we need to know to give you a good reccomendation is not just what rifle you have, but also what you will be using it for. Are you planning on hunting big game? Or varmint shooting? Or competiton target shooting?

As for brand, have you considered Leupold? They are a bit more expensive than some other brands, but they are worth it. Recoil should not be an issue with them, but even if it is, they have fantastic customer service and a lifetime warranty on the scope, no matter who owns it. What that means is that if the scope gets messed up somehow by the recoil, you can send it in and get it fixed no matter how long you've owned it. Additionally, this applies to whoever has the scope, not just the original purchaser, so if for some reason you don't like it, you will be able to re-sell the scope at probably 90% or more of its purchase price because of that warranty.
Old July 11, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3
MXRDriver

Scope

No matter which brand scope you choose, you must choose an AIR RIFLE scope to buy (the only exception that I am aware of is Leupold ) . Standard rifle optics are engineered to withstand primarily rearward recoil, however air rifles recoil forward and rearward causing good rifle scopes to go bad. In my experience Leupold, RWS, and Simmons make good quality air rifle scopes. Leupold does not produce an "air rifle" scope, but all their gold ring scopes have an unlimited warranty that covers all types of internal damage.

IMHO - Leupold
Old October 29, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
1 shot, 1 hit

first freedom told me that bushnell scopes are all disighned for air rifles and i think i can belive him as hes realy done allot of reserche for me
so i guess the Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 mil-dot would be a great choice
yes?