The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Dave P

Rem 700 LTR & 125 gr TNT

Does anybody have an accurate load for a 125 gr bullet in a Rem 700 LTR (308 cal)? These bullets do great in my re-bbled VSSF, but I can't get them to do better than 1.5 MOA from my stock LTR.

Why might this be? Long throat? Got good brass and primers, xmr4064 powder. Concentricity is very good. 168 Noslers give great accuracy, so the twist rate with a lighter bullet shouldn't be an issue ...

And while I'm at it: does anybody like the Lapua Scenar bullets? I've tried the 155 and 168 gr versions, and can't get either of them to group worth a hoot in any rifle!

Tanks
Dave
Old September 28, 2002, 06:31 AM   #2
jesi

Dave/
I also had trouble getting the TNT to shoot well in my 700VS .308. Tried Win. 748 and found a very accurate load.
My load is Lake City brass, Win LR primers, 49.0 gr. Win 748, and a moly-coated 125 gr. TNT @ 2.700" COL.
Have never chronographed, but it sure shoots sweet!
Rex
Old September 28, 2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Skullboy

Dave, I have have some 125grn TNTs and some125grn Nosler BTs loaded.But when we moved house, some of my load testing data went MIA,If you can wait about 3 weeks until I get back from hunting, I can re-evaluate them at the range and give you the results.I'lve got a Rem700 VS that I cut the barrel back to 20" to make what I call my "poor mans LTR", so the data should be good for you.HTH. Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?