The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2002, 09:44 AM   #1
12-34hom

Pet loads for 22-250.

Howdy all, i had purchased a Savage stricker pistol chambered in 22-250. I'm just getting around to reloading some rounds up.

This pistol sports a 15 inch S.S. tube. with a 1 & 14 twist rate.

Powders i'm considering are H-380 - H -414 - Varget - Reloader 15 - IMR 3031. I see that mag primers are supposed to be used with some of these powders.

Since 22-250 is quite popular varmint round, i thought maybe some of the members here had loadings that they worked up and might share. I bought some Winchester supreme factory rounds, [40 grain Nosler B.T.] to sight the gun in. Muzzel blast & recoil were fierce, so i'm looking for a reduced load, [3000 to 3500 fps]

Thanks for any responces.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old September 21, 2002, 01:11 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What sort of group sizes did you get? I imagine that with that rather slow twist, lighter bullets would work better than stuff over 52 or so grains. I've always had excellent accuracy and excellent results on critters with the Sierra 52-grain HPBT, if they still make that one. Good groups from the orange-tipped Hornady in a .223.

40/50 years ago, 4895 and 3031 were the most commonly used, but dunno about nowadays, with all the new powders.

If you're gonna play with reduced loads, I disremember if it's the Speer or the Hornady book which does show such loads. You might consider bullets intended for the Hornet, if you're gonna go down to 3,000 ft/sec MV.

A fair number of folks over at http://www.varminter.com have .22-250s, so you might also check at that site.

Art
Old September 21, 2002, 05:07 PM   #3
Jim Watson

My .22-250 is a RIFLE, a pre-warning Ruger 77-V; but for what it is worth, its most accurate loads have been:

52gr Sierra BTHP Matchking or 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
Winchester or Remington brass, same lot number, no special prep.
39.0 gr W760 and standard primer
39.5 gr H414 and Magnum primer
NOTE these loads are only 0.5 grain below maximum.
A lighter load good in my Ruger is
50gr Sierra Blitz
Norma brass (I have one box of Norma .22-250 brass that is a little soft, this is as heavy a load as I can put in it. It shoots accurately, though.)
33.5 gr IMR 4895 (36.0 max)

Good accuracy in this old blue steel and walnut gun means .75" at 100 yds, excellent is .60". These loads are in that range.

It will also shoot some 60 grain flatbase bullets almost as well, "slow" 14 inch twist and all. I once tried some of the 70 grain Speer RN which shot into 1.7" at 200m.
Old September 22, 2002, 01:18 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Mine's 37.5 grs H380, Sierra's 52 gr Match HBT (yup, Art = it's #1410), CCI's standard rifle primer & prep'd Norma brass. 1/2 gr below max IIRC, for usually sub-1/2 MOA

Mine doesn't like the Sierra 53 gr MHP in the least - go figure.

Best accuracy technique for this rifle, above & beyond every & anything else, is to neck size only & have the shoulder tight against the chamber. Prolongs you brass life too.
Old September 22, 2002, 05:52 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

In the 3 different 22-250 RIFLES I have the best load was always a 52 grain match bullet (manufacturer did not seem to matter) with IMR3031 Powder, and CCI LR Primers). I will not give the powder charge here because it is over maximum in the newer manuals (but under maximum in my older pre-litigation manuals). This load may not be worth a hoot in a pistol, as far as that goes each rifle is a law unto itself and may like an entirely different load.