The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 30, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
mitranoc

Magwell grip

I added this CAA magwell grip to my VTAC. A bit of dremmeling to make it work I tend to go back and forth thumb breaking the vertical grip and magwell. Nice, comfortable when shooting, lightweight. Anyone else use one?

3.2oz

George Washington
Old April 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
jason41987

i dislike AR15s, but like the idea of this grip... looks comfortable
Old April 2, 2013, 02:11 PM   #3
KCampbell

Re: Magwell grip

I have have tried one did not like it,its kind of a crossover thing from sub guns like the MP-5.On the AR its not as snappy swinging from one target to another.You kinda swing past the target just a little and have to reaquire the sights again because of that little bobble.Its just not as steady ,I guess close quarters would be OK maybe.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Quentin2

I'm not a fan of the magwell grip but you like it which is all that matters. Hope it works out. Myself, I like a forward grip with the support hand.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
HKFan9

As Kcambell noted, it is great on a smaller sub gun like the MP5, but on an AR unless running a SBR config of 7'' or 10.5'' it makes snapping to the next target harder since you have a lot more mass forward of your grip people tend to over swing.

Besides that, I think they are a bit wide for my hands to make them comfortable, the plain old mag-well serves just fine if I am ever in the situation where I need to grab it.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:33 PM   #6
tahunua001

no experience with the CAA ones but the mako group ones are really nice from what I've demoed...
Old April 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Skans

The only benefit I see to vertical grip (or possibly a magwell grip) is to control muzzle rise due to full-auto fire. For relatively slow-fire aimed shooting, it is much more natural for me to hold and balance the stock forend by resting it in the palm of my hand in the traditional manner of holding a rifle.

In other words, I don't see any advantage to having a vertical grip on a semi-auto AR.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Destructo6

Quote:
The only benefit I see to vertical grip (or possibly a magwell grip) is to control muzzle rise due to full-auto fire.
Skans, I don't find a magwell grip useful for that, either. There is so much unsupported/uncontrolled weight forward of the magwell that the muzzle jumps around like crazy.

Pushing your hand out closer to the muzzle helps control the muzzle far better.

Keep all of them clean.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #9
HKFan9

Quote:
The only benefit I see to vertical grip (or possibly a magwell grip) is to control muzzle rise due to full-auto fire. For relatively slow-fire aimed shooting, it is much more natural for me to hold and balance the stock forend by resting it in the palm of my hand in the traditional manner of holding a rifle.
I use mine as a reference point for after doing a reload especially in the middle of a stage I know exactly where I will be gripping the rifle again.

However most people use a vertical grip wrong, as in they hold onto it like a tennis racket, which is like you said, designed for recoil management during sustained full auto, but even then its not idea.

I grip the rifle in front of the vertical grip, basically only indexing my pinky and ring finger against the front top section of the vertical fore grip, and still gripping my fore end with my middle finger and pointer under neath, and my thumb wrapped around on top, almost fully extending my elbow.

This is the "newer" method taught by some top instructors today to dampen recoil a little more, but mostly like mentioned above, to be able to snap the front end of the gun to the next target with out over swinging. It is NOT the most comfortable at ALL however it does work quite well for what it is designed for, shooting under stress either from combat or competition.

Companies now are making "hand stops" for what I use my vertical grip as, however I see no point in investing in something that I already have covered with my vertical grip at this moment.

I will say the Magpul Angeled Front Grip takes some getting used to at first, but once you get used to it, and the method described above, it is quite comfortable and works very well.

By no way am I suggesting this is the only way to grip an AR, but it is becoming pretty wide spread. Here's two videos you can see it being used to get a better look if I didn't type it out well enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5esr2vix6QI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjitNIEmzw
Old April 4, 2013, 06:40 AM   #10
KCampbell

Re: Magwell grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9 View Post
I use mine as a reference point for after doing a reload especially in the middle of a stage I know exactly where I will be gripping the rifle again.

However most people use a vertical grip wrong, as in they hold onto it like a tennis racket, which is like you said, designed for recoil management during sustained full auto, but even then its not idea.

I grip the rifle in front of the vertical grip, basically only indexing my pinky and ring finger against the front top section of the vertical fore grip, and still gripping my fore end with my middle finger and pointer under neath, and my thumb wrapped around on top, almost fully extending my elbow.

This is the "newer" method taught by some top instructors today to dampen recoil a little more, but mostly like mentioned above, to be able to snap the front end of the gun to the next target with out over swinging. It is NOT the most comfortable at ALL however it does work quite well for what it is designed for, shooting under stress either from combat or competition.

Companies now are making "hand stops" for what I use my vertical grip as, however I see no point in investing in something that I already have covered with my vertical grip at this moment.

I will say the Magpul Angeled Front Grip takes some getting used to at first, but once you get used to it, and the method described above, it is quite comfortable and works very well.

By no way am I suggesting this is the only way to grip an AR, but it is becoming pretty wide spread. Here's two videos you can see it being used to get a better look if I didn't type it out well enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5esr2vix6QI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjitNIEmzw
X1. AFG or a vertical grip for indexing not to actually grip per se. Off hand goes to the same spot every time.I like and use the afg also.