The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
nate45

Need holster ideas for Uberti 1860 Army

I want an authentic style holster, that would lend itself to a rapid draw. I thought of this earlier today, when I was writing about my Single Action Army holster. Its a Tom Threepersons and he was a real Texas Ranger who designed the holster for a rapid draw.

I'd like to practice with my Uberti 1860 the same way I do with my Colt Single Action Army. Which is practically, with full power defnse loads. So I need an authentic, gunfighter style holster to do it with. I've also thought that perhaps a brace of 1860s, or 1851s might be the way to go, given how slow they are to reload.

Ideas? You guys are the best black powder and cowboy action shooters on the net, so pick my holster rig.

Old February 10, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Hawg

Authentic and fast draw do not go together. Fast draw was Hollyweird hype. Original holsters covered the cylinder and almost all of the hammer. You can get authentic Hollyweird tho.

Edited to note the Threepersons holster came about in 1925. He was not a Texas Ranger. He was with the Northwest Mounted Police for awhile tho.

Last edited by Hawg; February 10, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
nate45

No you are correct, Threepersons wasn't a Ranger, I was wrong, but I am right that his holster design is fast. Unless my range timer is lying.

You can reach down and grab the whole thing and cock it in the holster, when it gets level fire. Quarter second times to first shot are easy. Half second in response to the timer buzzer.

Those are 265 grain Keith Types loaded over 18 grains of 2400, not light "fast draw cowboy" loads. They'll fly right on through meat and bone like it was butter. Playing games with milksop loads, doesn't interest me. I'm "playing", but I'm playing for real.

Wild Bill was a "real" gunfighter, what did he really use?

Old February 10, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Bishop Creek

Yes, Wild Bill really did use tight fitting Slim Jim holsters. They were the style back then. There is even a non studio, casual type, photograph taken of Hickok by a Union Pacific Railroad photographer circa 1867 which shows him wearing those type of holsters with two '51 Navy revolvers pointed butt forward.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Hawg

His holster was the first recorded cut down but it was well after the turn of the century when it was used. It wasn't put into production until 1925. I guess Holyweird had to get the idea from someplace. Point being it wasn't around until well after the old west was "tamed"
Old February 10, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6
nate45

Don't get me wrong Hawg, I'm not disagreeing with you. I understand when Threepersons designed his holster. Although as far as Hollywood goes, I'm going to say it was Arvo Ojala who developed the hollywood type holster in the 1950s. The Threepersons holster is worn high and tight to the body, not low slung. The Threepersons holster works good under a coat and is very practical. Which is what he designed it for, real, practical lawman carry.

What I'm trying to find is a real, practical holster for the 1860. The kind a real lawman, gunfighter would carry pre-1873 Colt.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

Here's mine, copy of a late 1860s early 1870s 1860 Colt Army holster:

Old February 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
nate45

Thats neat, I like it! Who made it for you?
Old February 10, 2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

I had it made almost 20 years ago, I'd have to dig it out of my stuff to tell you the maker now, but check out this website, very authentic holsters including several "Hickok" style:

http://www.westernleatherholster.com...ical-holsters/
Old February 10, 2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Old Dragoon

Not really a fast draw rigs, but a copies of the Jesse James type holster. The one on the right is a cross draw, (right hand)., the one on the left is the mate to it as a regular strong side holster. these were built by Tommie Tornado (J.T. Ayer's) in Texas in 2006 or 2007. He was a regular on Cas City Forum then. It fits the 1860 Army or the Elliot's Transition to NMA Remy by Euroarms(their '58 Remy). it also fits the Uberti and Pietta '58 Remy.

Old February 10, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
nate45

1849 Californian

I'm thinking the one above. Those Western Leather Holsters look neat Bishop Creek, but they are too expensive for me. I could get another 1860 Uberti, for what one of their rigs costs. Not saying they aren't worth it, just that $90 for the one above sounds better to this tightwad.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Bishop Creek

That center one is pretty authentic. Looks good.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Nate45 - find yourself a copy of "Packing Iron". Those of us who do leatherwork sort of consider it a "Bible" that you need to have on your bench along with other references. Great photos and shows the evolution of holsters - military and civilian as well as a great chapter on rifle scabbards, etc. A lot of work went in to putting this excellent book together and many fine period examples are shown. I found mine on Amazon.com - you might check your library as well. I don't remember what it cost me - it's a more expnesive book but well worth the money to add it to your reference collection if you like BP and later revolvers.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63