The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

suggestions for a "new" cowboy rifle... & questions for the "cowboys"

I don't currently do Cowboy action... but find it interesting... could see myself doing it on occasion... I'd like to get your guys opinions on rifle choices... to me it doesn't really matter the caliber I already load for 32 S&W, 32-20, 32 H&R Mag, ( I assume 32 -40 is out ), 38 S&W, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 special, 44 Mag

personally I'd like to find something "traditional" & not something brand new... I'd rather have an older worn rifle & have my local builder check it over for reliable function & slick up everything, & come to the table with something that looks period, than something that looks like I just took it out of the box...

not sure of all the models available, or what types of sights are exceptable ( peep sights ok ?? ) saw a couple Marlin 44's that already had peeps on them... from my understanding of the game, I'd probably unscrew the apature & use it as a ghost ring, if that were exceptable ???

they shoot 10 shots at that stage ??? so the longer barrel guns with at least 10 round capacity are better than those with less capacity ??? only pumps & levers are exceptable ??? BTW... I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on a fun gun, looks like $600 - $700 is new prices for reasonable guns like the Marlins & Henry's... are the Rossi's good enough out of the box to really play ???

so... your thoughts ??? caliber & gun for under $700.00
Old January 20, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2
jmortimer

I think most of the serious participants use 1873 clones in .38/.357 with short stroke kits. I believe the Urberti is the one you would want. The "caliber" you "want" is .38 Special loaded down for lowest recoil. Go to an SASS match and check it out. Will cost more $$$ than your budget. The Henry will have a smoother and better action out of the box for SASS. The M92 Rossi are great guns but need a little work/parts to be really useful. Here is link to guy who is M92 expert and SASS participant http://store.stevesgunz.com/ He has two sites so check out blue "click here links" to see everything he is doing. Also, check out eveil Roy's site and the rifles he has for sale http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com/

Last edited by jmortimer; January 20, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Noz

Marlins make a good entry level gun in caliber of your choice. They can be smithed into a competitive gun as well. The current world record for 10 round on target is held by a Marlin. 1.73 seconds IIRC.
The Henry currently being manufactured is not considered a good gun for SASS. It does not respond well to smoothing and has a reputation for jamming when run at "cowboy" speed.
The Original Henry and copies made by Uberti are acceptable but are very heavy and slow to operate. They have the advantage of gaining Style Points. For the newbies, style points are mythical numbers that in fact are good only for your own personal satisfaction.
As stated above the Uberti 1873 is considered the top dog right now but the price tag is a little painful. An 1892 from Steve's Gunz will run with any of them.

Come on out to a shoot. If you like the old single actions and like to see people having a good time, it just might be your game.

Peeps are acceptable as long as they are tang mounted. Barrel mounted peeps or ghost rings are not allowed.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys...

so how about custom guns... er well chamberings anyway... I'm buddys with an extremely good old retired gunsmith, who does alot of projects for me, as I'm not "too picky" & just to keep busy...

I was looking at original antique guns... mostly chambered for original cartridges, but for example if an old 32-20 could be chambered for 32 H&R Mag, or 38-40 gun chambered for 44 special etc... no issues there ??? no rimfires ???smallest bore acceptable is 32 ???

also do I understand, that all must be lever or pump, & chambered in handgun rounds ??? so 32-40 & original cartridges like that are not allowed ???

not alot of Lightning users ??? or is the gun just not competitive...

& honestly being "being competitive" is not something I'd need to worry about... having fun is more like all I could accomplish... so times like 10-20 seconds seem like goals, not something in the mear seconds

BTW... got a link to the website to look for events ??? my browser is acting goofy, & won't connect me... ( about time to replace this older laptop )
Old January 20, 2011, 11:26 AM   #5
jmortimer

"The current world record for 10 round on target is held by a Marlin. 1.73 seconds IIRC"
I did not know the Marlins could compete on the top level. Was the gun in question a "short stroke" or standard Marlin slicked-up?
Old January 20, 2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I was looking at original antique guns... mostly chambered for original cartridges, but for example if an old 32-20 could be chambered for 32 H&R Mag, or 38-40 gun chambered for 44 special etc... no issues there ??? No issues there; but 32-20 and 38-40 are good Cowboy rounds to begin with. no rimfires ??? Correct smallest bore acceptable is 32 ??? correct

also do I understand, that all must be lever or pump, & chambered in handgun rounds ??? Correct, rifles must be in pistol caliber so 32-40 & original cartridges like that are not allowed ??? Correct. 32-40 is not a pistol caliber round

not alot of Lightning users ??? or is the gun just not competitive... Colt Lightnings have had their issues. For the most part, they are not competetive or reliable out of the box. There are a few smiths around that can make them sing, and a few competitors that can do the same with a worked over one.

BTW... got a link to the website to look for events ??? my browser is acting goofy, & won't connect me. Go here http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/index.php & click on your state then click on the clubs nearest to you to see when they shoot
Best advice I can give is to attend a few matches, see what others are using, ask questions, and try as many guns as you can. I'll guarantee that most participants will offer to let you try their guns on for size.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 20, 2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks again for the info... I did get on the SASS site & found several clubs that do monthly matches during the summer... & the state championship is held less than a 1/2 hour from my house, so I'm for sure gonna play a little "cowboy" this summer

I also see that 25-20 is OK... ( again thinking along the lines of antique guns )

I assume that "to be competitive" you want to use the lightest recoiling cartridge within "the spirit of the game" ??? r are "style points" worth while to shoot the 45's ???

I personally like bigger bore stuff, but what are the most common handgun & rifle rounds for serious competitors ???