The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
keithdog

Why no mention of FN pistols?

Just thought I would bring up something I have noticed in this forums and other gun forums. I see frequent mention of practically every pistol brand discussed frequently in the forums, but I never see anyone mention any pistols from FN Herstal. And I'm curious as to why. They have been made longer than most gun makers, have a stellar reputation from what I have read about them, and price wise seem right there with other guns of similar design. In fact, there is a post in here right now asking about the best 9mm pistol. A lot of guns are mentioned from many manufacturers, but not a single FN pistol is mentioned. I've been looking at them online, reading about them, and they seem like a very good firearm. Now, to be honest, I've never shot one, so I can't attest to their quality. But they are used world wide by many military and police units. Yet, they are the one gun maker I never hear mentioned.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:05 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Just thought I would bring up something I have noticed in this forums and other gun forums. I see frequent mention of practically every pistol brand discussed frequently in the forums, but I never see anyone mention any pistols from FN Herstal. And I'm curious as to why. They have been made longer than most gun makers, have a stellar reputation from what I have read about them, and price wise seem right there with other guns of similar design. In fact, there is a post in here right now asking about the best 9mm pistol. A lot of guns are mentioned from many manufacturers, but not a single FN pistol is mentioned. I've been looking at them online, reading about them, and they seem like a very good firearm. Now, to be honest, I've never shot one, so I can't attest to their quality. But they are used world wide by many military and police units. Yet, they are the one gun maker I never hear mentioned.

Most people go towards what they're most familiar or most common.

I recently acquired an FNP 45, the predecessor to the FNX. I love it. The double action feels a little odd but it's definitely workable. It's a solid feeling pistol, and the recoil is must less than other 45s I own/have owned such as 1911s, HK, Sig Sauer and Glock.

The pistol is definitely a keeper, but it's not necessarily a concealed carry option for me as I don't have an adequate holster for it.

Out of the box, I was hitting out to 25 and 50 yards without a problem. Mine has a threaded barrel and suppressor height Tritium sights. I'm very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 18, 2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I hear good things about them, and I'd honestly like to have one. That said, I generally try to stick to guns that I actually know something about, from personal experience rather than what I've read on the internet.

As far as no mention . . .
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=585540
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=584413
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582584
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=572268
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=572354
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=571522
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569872

That's just a sampling from the first page of hits I got running a search for "FN" on thread titles alone.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:41 PM   #4
keithdog

Thanks Spats. I seem to have trouble finding what I am looking for using the search tool.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:51 PM   #5
jmhyer

I have suggested the FNS9c in a number of posts. Mine has been flawless.
Old April 19, 2017, 12:18 AM   #6
Cosmodragoon

I've had a chance to use the FNX 9, 40, and 45. I've got around 500 rounds each with the first two and closer to 2000 in the 45. I know that's not a ton of experience but it's enough to leave me with a very positive impression. They seem to be durable, reliable, and easy to use. The controls allow it to be carried in a variety of conditions and used by a variety of people.

I've seen a few new shooters stovepipe a round in the FNX 45 but I think that's a side effect of poor hold and inexperience on a gun that is very light for its gargantuan size. The 9mm and .40 S&W versions are scaled down to what I'd call normal duty size and feel better in my hand.

The grip texture is about the most aggressive of any polymer gun I've held. This provides excellent purchase when shooting and is nice with gloves. I have to wonder if anyone who carries one concealed has ever been chaffed by it.

Except for that last question, I've shared all this before on TFL.
Old April 19, 2017, 04:23 AM   #7
KMAX

I owned a FNS40 for a while. What I didn't like about it was 40 cal and it had no safety. If it had a thumb safety and was 9mm I would still have it. In fact I am seriously thinking about buying just that.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 19, 2017, 08:36 AM   #8
dontcatchmany

I have the FNS 40, the FNX 40 and the FNX 45.

I use a 357 Sig barrel in either the FNS 40 or FNX 40.

I have put approximately 2000 rounds through each one and never a hiccup other than the first time I fired the FNX 45 all I could find at the time was AMMO One ammo and it was crap.

I purchased these when gun prices were a tad high, but stumbled on good prices. I got extra magazines for each.

I think they are all exceptional pistols. I have the FNX 45 by my bedside. The FNX 40 is in my home office and the FNS 40 (with 357 Sig barrel) rides in my truck.

They are a tad too big for me to conceal but during the winter I will carry them owb.

I think FNH has come out with more concealable pistols, but I have not researched them....I got too many pistols now....10. I might find a need ( for another though.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:49 AM   #9
GuyM9

I have the FNX 9, and think it is a great pistol. It's a little large for me to carry, except in the wintertime with heavy clothing. It's second only to my 1911's when it comes to plinking. I can shoot it accurately, it eats any ammo I've fed it, and I've never had any problems with it. What more can I say.

Guy
Old April 19, 2017, 09:00 AM   #10
FAS1

They make a great accessory host out of the box.

Old April 19, 2017, 09:05 AM   #11
Model12Win

The FNX45 holds 15+1 in a flushy which I think is a tremendous capacity for a .45.
Old April 19, 2017, 09:47 AM   #12
cmdc

I have several FNs. FNS 9c, 9 full size, 9 longslide and 9 FNX. I like'em all. All come with three stainless steel mags. The 9c is really cool. Comes with a 12 rd flush fit, 12 rd with pinky extension, and 17rd with adapter.
Old April 19, 2017, 10:02 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Wny no mention? Because they're where CZ was, with regard to handguns, some years back. FNH has spent the bulk of their time and attention on military long guns over the past few decades, and they seem to almost dominate the market, there. If they make a big effort to make themselves known, they may surprise us all. They have a factory in South Carolina.

I traded into two FNS-40s, last year -- one a standard FNS-40 and the other a FNS-40L (long slide). They are the best-shooting .40s I've owned (with the possible exception of a CZ-40B that I had some years back.

(I traded away a Glock 35 and a S&W M&P Pro in .40, because I just couldn't shoot either one of them well Despite the fact that I loved a Glock 34 and still have an M&P PRo in 9mm -- both with a lot of aftermarket parts. The problem was me, not those guns, but the FNS-40s shoot well in my hands.)

I like the FNS a lot, and FNH has just introduced what looks to be an upgraded version of the FNS called the 509 (developed for the U.S. ARMY's MHS trials.) One of my two FNS-40 (the "Long Slide") has had trigger work done before I traded for it -- and it's hard to find someone to do that -- but there are now a number of YouTube videos showing how to do it yourself. I got an EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel for the standard FNS-40, and with a 9mm mag (necessary if you want to shoot hollowpoint, but not for hardball), it's almost identical to the 9mm version (same size, etc.)

The FNS models are comparable to Glocks in many ways, but softer shooting, and I like the grip angle better.

Nice guns. After-market parts or parts from FNH Customer Service leaves something to be desired, but when SERVICE on the gun is needed, they seem to do it well and quickly.

The FNH warranty is lifetime, whether the weapon is new or used.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:31 PM   #14
dogtown tom

Quote:
keithdog Just thought I would bring up something I have noticed in this forums and other gun forums. I see frequent mention of practically every pistol brand discussed frequently in the forums, but I never see anyone mention any pistols from FN Herstal. ..... A lot of guns are mentioned from many manufacturers, but not a single FN pistol is mentioned.....
FN manufactures the Hi Power, one of the most beloved 9mm pistols ever manufactured.

Reread that thread on 9mm pistols.....the Hi Power is mentioned quite often.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 19, 2017, 04:05 PM   #15
fl_rich

I have two of them; an FNX 45 Tactical and a FiveSeven.

The 5.7 is stellar. Shoots like a laser beam, holds 20 in the standard magazine shoots at an insane 2000+ fps and is light fully loaded. I have honestly never considered trigger pull on it. Its just plain fun to shoot and incredibly accurate.

My FNX 45T sports a Vortex Venom holds 15+1. Its a range sweetheart, it shoots 45 Auto and at 20 yards can easily shoot large holes in the sweet spot on paper targets. A little big for cc but I have a different tool for that. Again a hoot to shoot!
Old April 20, 2017, 10:47 AM   #16
viciouskitty

I have both a fnx 9 and a fns 40 long slide, both guns are great completely reliable and durable. The fnx has been shot in excess of 6,000 rounds the 40 only has like 1,500 thru it so far. The only issue is lack of aftermarket support, that and if you want more than 3 mags they are hideously expensive 45 bucks a piece. I think the reason they are not mentioned is because they're not advertised very much not many know of them and their good qualities.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:04 PM   #17
Martowski

FNs and CZs generally seem to have a "shooter's pistol" mystique about them. Likely due to the fact they don't advertise as much as Glock, S&W, or Springfield (to name a few) and they aren't found in nearly as much quantity in the cases at the big box stores.

I own three FN pistols: my Hi Power Practical, an FNP-45, and an FNP-9. I bought the FNP-45 for a song ($399) at a local shop. It's used, but in excellent condition; it was obviously a safe queen, likely taken to the range once or twice. I thought about selling it and walked around at a local show with it in my hands. Got two offers of $600 and one for $550, but decided to hold on to it. It seemed to attract the attention of people as something unique. I will say it has the ergonomics of a 2x4; it's a very flat sided, straight lined grip.

The FNP-9 I bought on a whim for less than $300 and while it's still new to me, I love it. It's a great size and seems to have a nice low bore axis. Truth told, I think I like it more than my Sig SP2022, which is another of my favorite sleeper pistols.

Hickock45 did a Youtube review of the FNS; check it out. He was enamored with it enough and he said if he didn't carry his Glock 19, he's likely carry the FNS. That's saying something from a guy who reviews tons of pistols.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:17 PM   #18
pete2

I've only fired one, a 9MM, it shot ok but nothing to make be want to buy one, kinda like a KP95 I onced owned, great pistol. One of the few I've owned that was totally reliable but not fun. Gimme a 1911 or a S&W revolver, even a 92FS and I'm happy.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:26 AM   #19
Siggy-06

I bought an FNS-40 in stainless on sale. Light weight and good ergos, plus a nice striker fired trigger. The grip was a little aggressive with the stippling, but you certainly wouldn't drop it with sweaty hands.

FN makes a lot of military firearms, hence the lack of advertising in the civilian market. I'll see a banner or ad with them every now and then. I'd probably own a FN 5.7 if they weren't so pricey.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:45 AM   #20
Roland Thunder

I was in a local range/gunstore about a year or so ago and the person working at the counter convinced me to try shooting an FNX 45 Tactical (they had one as rental gun). I tried and was really surprised at how well I shot it.
Old April 21, 2017, 01:35 PM   #21
dstryr

In '12 I bought an FNP40 and another right after because I liked the first so well. Sold the first to buy a Sig a couple years later and now I have a second FNP40 again, plus another Sig.

There are around 4000 rounds through the one FNP40 now, the other was used so I don't know. The Only ammo it doesn't like is American Eagle 165 grain, I had a bunch of failures to eject. Other than that, it has eaten everything else through it, Hunting Shack Munitions, Freedom Munitions and at least 12 other FMJ and JHP common 'name brands'.

The downside to owning one? Parts are generally not available. I'd like to buy a couple of recoil springs when I find a compatible replacement.

If you know where to get the spring please shoot me a message!

Thanks

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old April 21, 2017, 05:39 PM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryr
The downside to owning one? Parts are generally not available. I'd like to buy a couple of recoil springs when I find a compatible replacement.
In the case of the FNX and the FNS, the barrels, some magazines, and the recoil spring assemblies are the same (or so close as to be the same). The recoil spring assemblies are also almost identical to those used in Glocks with comparable slide sizes.

Glock factory guide rods and springs are captured assemblies like those used in the FNX and FNS (and maybe in the FNP), but some after-market vendors offer guide rods and separate springs (non-captured) that can be used in place of the factory Glock assemblies.

That approach might work for you. I would expect the recoil spring and guide rod for a Glock 19 might be very similar to the FNP guide rod.

If you have a friend with a Glock 19, you might compare the Glock guide rod assembly to the one in your FNP to see. They are almost drop-in interchangeable with the FNS 9 and 40s. (The biggest difference between these guns, as they move up in caliber, is that the larger caliber gun generally has a slightly larger (or heavier) slide. The strength of the recoil springs don't always change.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:33 PM   #23
armedleo

I get what the OP is referring to. FN is not at the top of most people's list and not pushed by retailers. They surely take a backseat to Glock, SIG, and S&W when it comes to semi autos. But not in terms of quality or performance. But in terms of popularity. Anyone who's familiar with handguns knows the FN is a very respectable pistol. Maybe if they can round up a police department or two or three then they'll catch on.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:51 PM   #24
jmr40

I tried to like them, and in a way still do. I had one of the hammer fired guns in 45 and another in 9mm a few years ago. I felt that they had all the features to make just about the perfect gun.

I've sorta settled on the Glock platform, not that I'm particularly crazy about them, but they just seem to work for me, the price is right and they are offered in 10mm which I really like.

I bought the FN's with the thought that if they worked out I might eventually sell the Glocks and change over to the FN design. But for whatever reason the 45 I had was less accurate and reliable than I'd hoped for. Probably just the rare lemon. The 9mm however was a very good gun, but after a while I decided to just stay with Glock, at least for now and sold it. I'm tempted to give them another try with one of the striker fired versions.

Winston Churchill
Old April 21, 2017, 08:09 PM   #25
smee78

I agree they are not mentioned as much as Glock, Sig and others but are quality guns. I do wish they would catch on more so the aftermarket would pick up for support items. I own and shoot an FNX-45 and it pulls bedside protection so I do truly trust that gun. I would purchase another but they haven't made it yet an FNX-9 long slide. I also would like to add a 5.7 but they are to expensive.