The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Micahweeks

Replicating a factory load from Buffalo Bore

I am looking for a way to replicate this round...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...heck-box-of-20

I am very new to this whole reloading thing, so I'm not really sure how to go about this. I have manuals, but they don't list anything comparable to this load. One website has a much hotter load that seems unsafe. Does anyone have load data on this BB round that will be reasonably safe in a 4.2 inch SP101?
Old August 26, 2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It basically says right in the description that these are loaded to .357mag pressures. You can't achieve "low end .357 ballistics" without loading to low-end .357 pressures.

Hodgdon's .357mag data uses a 10" barrel and only gets 1,100 to 1,500 at max loads.

I would not shoot those loads in a .38spl-only revolver.

Find the best .38spl +P data from an official source and use that.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
zxcvbob

You're not going to replicate that. Power Pistol might get you close if you overload them just a bit. Herco would be worth trying too. (I can run some numbers in Quickload tonight if I don't forget, but I'm pretty sure QL significantly underestimates .38 Special pressures)

For bullets, try Magnus #515

Alliant used to have .38 Special +P load data for all their powders. You might look in an older online manual. http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html

ETA: for a home defense load, I use those Magnus LSWCHP's in a 4" revolver with 4.5 grains of Unique or 4.4 grains of American Select.

Last edited by zxcvbob; August 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old August 26, 2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

I don't know my Rugers - I had to look up an SP101 lol. Actually, I was fairly certain it was a 357; just had to double-check.

First thing, Brian pretty much stole my thunder. Those Buffalo Bore 38's would rattle apart a 38 special gun. I wouldn't shoot them in mine.

The swaged lead SWC Hollow Point is low-tech, but potentially quite effective. If I were trying to accomplish your goal (assuming a defense loading) to assemble a round for a SP101, I would just go with a 357 Mag loading.

Speer makes a LSWCHP that is from swaged soft lead (Speer #4628. It's in their #14 manual as "4627," but I believe that to be a misprint). That is the bullet I would use (and do).

Speer #14 has load data for it for 357, but they state "These loads do not reach maximum pressures." Meaning, their data is for target shooting and/or barrel leading concerns. If you're loading for defense, barrel leading should not be a concern.

I mentioned that I do use the Speer 4628 bullet - for 38 Special. My defense loading with it is 6.0g Power Pistol; which, is in compliance with Speer #14. They shoot nice in my 38 revolver (Smith M67 4" bbl) at 962 fps & 324 ft/lbs.

(I don't use handloads for SD. For legal reasons, I only use factory ammo for SD. But I still work up defense loadings for the purposes of data collection and practice.)
Old August 26, 2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Jim Watson

BA claims to load to "maximum SAAMI specs", in this case .38 Spl +P, which is only about 10% over standard.
Yet they also claim "low end .357 Magnum ballistics."

Either they really do have the secret powder reserved for boutique manufacturers, or they are overloading their ammo.

In this case I would not worry too much about it because the OP has a Ruger SP 101. If recent, it is a .357, no problem. If an early .38 Special SP, there is still not much problem because there was a fairly lively business rechambering them to .357, allegedly with Ruger's blessing.

However, the OP is talking about loading to match BA.
That has been done, there is a clique of .38-44 Heavy Duty fans out there loading their big Smiths up to full power... about the same as BA claims.
I am not going to say where because the OP also says "I am very new to this whole reloading thing," and I would want him to get a few thousand rounds under his belt before going beyond the books.
Old August 26, 2014, 12:44 PM   #6
medic15al

Those BB factory loads Are good to go in MY S&W K-frame M-10 and 15, as I carried and shot thousands of these and handloaded equivalent from them when required to carry a .38 revolver for security.

They are NOT for aluminum framed guns or any J-frame at all. A older version Speer manual showed the recipe. The powder showed is one that I understand has been recently discontinued, and the bullets are RimRock gaschecked brand.

They are 38-44 pressure loads so even if the steel K frame handles it you will beat the timing up after a while.
Old August 26, 2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Micahweeks

Ok. Yes, my SP101s and GP100s are all 357s. So, if I understand correctly, this load is "overloaded" and is not going to be found in a manual anywhere? It does get an honest 1100 fps in the 4.2 inch barrel, so I know it's a pretty hot round for 38. But, it recoils less than 357 which is why I like it in the SP. Could I just down load a .357 case with the same bullet and get basically the same effect?
Old August 26, 2014, 05:01 PM   #8
zxcvbob

Quote:
Could I just down load a .357 case with the same bullet and get basically the same effect?
Yes. Pick a medium speed powder, (like Unique or 231) and a powder weight in the gray area between .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Use regular small pistol primers *unless* the powder you pick is HS-6 (use magnum or small rifle primers with HS-6)

Last edited by zxcvbob; August 26, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 26, 2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Yep. Use a 357 Mag case. Load 'er up kind of light with a medium speed powder. Like what zxcvbob said.
Old August 26, 2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Replicating a factory load from Buffalo Bore

If you want to reduce recoil, the only influences on recoil besides bullet mass and speed are powder charge weight and muzzle pressure. If you can get the same speed with a faster powder, you will be using a smaller charge that produces less muzzle pressure (since it burns faster) and will thereby have less recoil. Marginally less, but less.

No sense in going all nuts on .38spl +P if you're holding a .357mag.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11
Jim Watson

No problem at all, the manuals are full of them.
It might be a starting .357 load with one powder, a top load with another, an intermediate load with a third, but a 158 at 1100 is not difficult.
Old August 30, 2014, 03:02 AM   #12
Wrangler5

Buffalo Bore stuff is made by wizards. I carry their "standard" pressure version of the 158g load the OP asked about, but it chronos at exactly the same velocity as Remington +P stuff with the same (lead SWCHP) bullet. Recoils about the same, too, those pesky laws of physics being what they are. But while I'm fully prepared to believe that BB can somehow get that velocity at standard pressures, I have never been able to duplicate it at MY reloading bench without moving into +P territory on the reloading tables, using any of the powders I've had access to.

So I would guess that in order to duplicate the +P load, you'd have to move up to low-357 powder levels using any of the usual pistol powders available to reloaders.
Old August 30, 2014, 05:07 AM   #13
Jimro

Quote:
It might be a starting .357 load with one powder, a top load with another, an intermediate load with a third, but a 158 at 1100 is not difficult.
Very easy in a 357 Magnum package.

It is actually quite difficult if you are trying to do it in a 38 Spc package, with a 3" barrel as advertised by BB.

Alliant says that PowerPistol will get you there, if you also have a 6" barrel.

I would not chase the velocity demon with a 38 Spc, especially since there is no measurable lethality difference between the easily achievable 900 and higher 38 Spc loads and an 1,100 fps load. Either load will ventilate things handily.

Jimro