The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2011, 09:13 PM   #1
napg19

S&W trigger re-assembly&rebound spring.

Cleaning the inside of my new 637 and installing a 13lb rebound spring and the pawl(the arm that moves the cylinder) came off the trigger and the spring came out of trigger and now cannot get the two installed. Must be some real trick to this. Can someone tell me how to reinstall these two parts back into the trigger. Also the rebound spring is from Wolf. It's 1 3/8" long. the stock spring and the two other Wolf springs in kit are only 1" long. Looks like alot of spring to push into rebound part. Any one have this situation also. Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks Guys.

Last edited by napg19; March 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the new MIM triggers, one end of the hand spring just goes into a hole in the trigger and the other end sticks out to bear on the small pin in the hand like the old ones do. You push it up with a punch or small screwdriver to get the hand in, just like before.

Some of those Wolff springs are longer, but use smaller diameter wire, so they really do fit, even though they are longer than the original.

Remember you are removing some of the extra spring power S&W built into that gun to handle adverse condtions (dirt, crud, cold, etc.) so test the gun well before depending on it for serious purposes.

Jim
Old March 7, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
napg19

Thanks Jim. I'll put trigger in vise and use some small tools I have and alot of patience. Next time I want to clean it I'll just spray the inside and apply oil where needed. considering putting in a 14lb. spring thats 1" long and reduces the trigger weight by 4lbs. Hopefully this won't be a problem. Thanks again.
Old March 8, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
napg19

Fixed. After hours of frustration I pushed one more time on the coil of the spring and it popped into the cutout in the trigger deeper than I realized it would do, which I didn't know it was supposed to do. After that I took a small needle nose and pushed the end of spring up and inserted the hand and I thanked the Lord. You definatly need a vise, unless you have a third hand with vise-grip fingers. Have a good night, Richard.