The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 27, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
LanceOregon

New Mexico Man Eaten this Week by Cougar While Skinny Dipping -- OUCH!!

The partially eaten buried body of a 55 yr old New Mexico man, Robert Nawojski, who liked to bathe outdoors at a spot only 60 yards from his home, was found by searchers looking for him this week. He was last seen on June 17th.

Officials from the New Mexico State Department of Game and Fish determined that a mountain lion attacked Nawojski just below the ledge that he liked to bathe at, and then dragged his body a short distance away. The cougar then ate some of him, and buried other parts of him for a later meal.

Apparently Nawojski thought that the area was safe, and had no firearm, or any other type of weapon with him, for protection. The cougar apparently had no fear of him, and only considered him to be food.

State Game and Fish agents have been shooting and snaring cougars in the area, in the hope of killing the animal responsible for the attack.

An aggressive cougar had been reported by a neighbor in the area just 5 days before Nawojski disappeared. State officials issued no warning to the public, however. But they did provide free rubber bullets to that neighbor, so he could scare off the cougar if he encountered it again.

Tell me, how many of you like to hike in remote areas where there are cougars? If you do, do you take a gun with you? And if you did carry, would you be OK with just having it loaded with rubber bullets? We have lots of cougars here in Oregon too. I fear that some people who have recently mysteriously disappeared in remote areas here may actually have been cougar victims also, even though no trace of them was ever found.

I now carry a handgun with me whenever out in the wild. Unfortunately, this cannot be done in either National Parks or Monuments.

Here are some news reports about it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,371301,00.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...36680520080624

http://www.currentargus.com/ci_9694850

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_9690801

Here is a photo of Mr. Nawojski:

Old June 27, 2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Shorts

Well, I thought he might have just got caught off guard too. In another report, I read back at his trailer, he had the faucet going and his false teeth on the table, door was wide open.

So it seemed as though he was inside his place, doing something else and not skinny dipping per say. I don't know, just throwing out that other info.

Edit: I go to areas where there are mountain lions as well. The rifle and a handgun, as its usually doe season. Around here, we're in the mountains, bear country. Lots and lots of bear signs, even a bear statue and sightseeing place. We ride through a lot, sometimes go off hiking in remote areas. And no guns, as it is Japan. We're at the mercy of our own luck and whatever knife, flashlight and cell phone we have.

Last edited by Shorts; June 27, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Doyle

It's pretty hard to CC when skinny dipping.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

That thread title is completely misleading...

...and reactionary. It should read..."New Mexico Man PARTIALLY Eaten this Week by Cougar While Skinny Dipping -- OUCH!!"

You guys and your need to over dramatize everything and make it sound worse than it really is...

Seriously though, this is a tragic way to die. I cannot imagine how horrifying the experience was for the victim. I just hope it was quick and as painless as possible.

I am always armed when in the wilderness. I just will not go if I cannot protect myself. Events like this are a concern to me but I am more afraid of two legged predators that feel free to do as the wish because of the wild surroundings.

Still, even though I am a total animal lover, if it was me or it (or a loved one) then it would be dead as fast as I could make it happen.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:21 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
Tell me, how many of you like to hike in remote areas where there are cougars? If you do, do you take a gun with you? And if you did carry, would you be OK with just having it loaded with rubber bullets?
I hike quite often. There's always a handgun with me... unless there's a rifle with me. I find my Win94 or Marlin Camp 45 to make excellent hiking parthers and will substitute them for a handgun on occassion in the more "wide open" areas. When hunting, I usually have both a rifle and handgun.

Just say "no!" to rubber bullets. You're not justified in using them any more than a real bullet, so why take the risk that they will scare the critter off? Much better to kill if you pull the trigger, IMO. Stop the threat... that's the rule. How's a rubber bullet do that to a determined animal?
Old June 27, 2008, 06:29 PM   #6
SilentHitz

Quote:
It should read..."New Mexico Man PARTIALLY Eaten
I don't think it matters what percent of the body was eaten...dead is dead.

I too hope it was at least quick, what a way to go.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:57 PM   #7
cool hand luke 22:36

Our ancestors had the right idea about pacifying an area by killing off the large predators.

What exactly is the point of maintaining species like the the cougar in the lower 48? It's not even close to being threatened let alone endangered when you take the Canadian and South American populations into account.

Just another hare-brained idea cooked up by the environmentalists.

Time to reintroduce a bounty on these dangerous pests and eliminate them IMO.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Playboypenguin

Quote:
What exactly is the point of maintaining species like the the cougar in the lower 48? It's not even close to being threatened let alone endangered when you take the Canadian and South American populations into account.
When you remove predators from an ecosystem you are welcoming disease and blight.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:05 PM   #9
LanceOregon

Quote:
You guys and your need to over dramatize everything and make it sound worse than it really is...
So the fact that they found some buried uneaten parts of him makes it less dramatic or serious??

To me, that is more gruesome than if he had been entirely eaten. And I doubt that it made any difference to him.

It is normal for cougars to eat only part of a kill, and bury the rest to consume later. They do not behave like African Lions.

Old June 27, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
LanceOregon

Quote:
When you remove predators from an ecosystem you are welcoming disease and blight.
Blight is a plant disease. It has nothing at all to do with animals.

This is very weird science that you are following here.

Old June 27, 2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Blight is a plant disease. It has nothing at all to do with animals.
Actually it has everything to do with animals. When the herbivores start over populating and eating all the healthy and viable plants disease starts to spread among plant life as well. It is all interconnected and it does not take a genius to figure that out. Nothing weird about it at all.

Blight also means deterioration or decay of an ecosystem and that is also a direct result of the over population of prey animals.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:22 PM   #12
LanceOregon

If such a far out theory was even remotely or partially true, then all of the many states in the eastern USA that no longer have any major predators would be "blighted".

Old June 27, 2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Playboypenguin

Quote:
If such a far out theory was even remotely or partially true, then all of the many states in the eastern USA that no longer have any major predators would be "blighted".
Hardly a theory. Something wildlife administrations deal with constantly. Educate yourself on the subject then get back to me.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:38 PM   #14
45guy

I live in NM, there are apx 3000 cougars here. Also other predators [two and four legged] therefor I go by the fallowing.

Revolver [point gun, pull trigger, very forgiving] in 357 mag, 44 mag or 45 Colt. Heavy slug. Carry on left side, butt forward, reach with either hand.

For a carbine, 18 1/2 in 12 gage, improved cylinder with express sights. Use slugs [apx 100 yd] and 00 or 000 shot [apx 50 yd].

This should handle most problems.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:55 PM   #15
homefires

60 miles from my house. I go gold panning about 1/2 mile from his place. He was bathing in his yard. Dragged him 80 yards from the house. They seen it there over the past few weeks. It stalked one couple walking there dog. I would have Loosed the dog and gone after the Fecal Matter!
Old June 27, 2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Our ancestors had the right idea about pacifying an area by killing off the large predators.

Just another hare-brained idea cooked up by the environmentalists.

Time to reintroduce a bounty on these dangerous pests and eliminate them IMO.
Wow, where to start?

If you kill off the larger predators, then they will be threatened, endangered, or totally killed off. The fact that they aren't threatened, endangered, or totally killed off is because we have preserved them. See the irony of your statement?
------
Quote:
The cougar apparently had no fear of him, and only considered him to be food.
Given that you have no idea as to the circumstances of the encounter that resulted in Nawojski's death, you have no idea if this is true or not. You have assumed that the cat had no fear of him and that he was attacked as food. It very well may be that Nawojski inititated aggressive behavior toward the cat or otherwise did something to bother the cat. You just don't know. Maybe you ask, "Why would an unarmed person bother a big cat?" See below.

Quote:
Apparently Nawojski thought that the area was safe, and had no firearm, or any other type of weapon with him, for protection.
Did he feel "safe" as you suggest? I don't know. I don't think he had a good grasp of reality.

In regards to having a gun when in the woods, I am not sure Nawojski was the type of guy that should have had a gun. You see, he had some very serious mental issues. He was the kind of guy who would chase cars on foot or run in circles and yell at airplanes that flew overhead.

Not only that, he had not lived long in the outer wilds by Pinos Altos (which happens to be mostly a tourist ghost town, of which the Buckhorn Saloon has some wonderful food, BTW). He had been living in Silver City, the largest city in the region.

http://www.scdailypress.com/index.ph...e=art&index=02

It could well be argued that Najowski was attacked because he exhibited behavior that may him attactive to being attacked, what would be considered non-normal behavior for humans.
Old June 27, 2008, 09:06 PM   #17
45guy

It pays to be alert [we need more lerts], don't just skip along in a fog. Be aware of the surroundings and do not place yourself in a position to be ambushed. Watch the underbrush and over hangs. Stay away from cover and watch your back. Some wear a Halloween mask on the back of there head, the cats think you are watching. Stay in condition orange.

There have been only two confirmed killings it thirty five years. How ever, hikers disappear, never to be found, every year and cat hunters some times find scraps of clothing in scat and stomach contents
Old June 27, 2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/beier.htm

Probably a better source for understanding mountain lion attacks, effective and ineffective responses.

Quote:
There have been only two confirmed killings it thirty five years. How ever, hikers disappear, never to be found, every year and cat hunters some times find scraps of clothing in scat and stomach contents
Vets pull articles of clothing from the contents of pet dogs as well without there being deaths of the pet's owners. Clothing scraps are just that, scraps. Yes, some people disappear while hiking, however, since the area in question is a border area, if this was a thread on illegal aliens and incursions by the Mexican army into the US, we would be blaming those factors. The point is, just because people disappear doesn't mean they are eaten by cats. Even if they are, it doesn't mean they were killed by cats. Hikers are also known to fall, get injured, have heart attacks, succomb to the elements, etc., and then get scavenged.
Old June 27, 2008, 09:39 PM   #19
45guy

Yes, your right. The chances are small and most will avoid you. I worked remote radio and instrumentation sites for years and have had a few encounters. Now I will admit most were human but some were not. By the way, a number were in the area north of Silver City. I know the Gila very well and respect and like most animals better than most people. But they are not Disney cartoons and can be very dangerous, you must use your head.

I am over 70 and was raised in the woods, do better there than in town. Hunted the Gila for many years [ use a camera now, got my fill of killing in Vet Nam] and know the area and its wild life very well. I have made a study of there habits and ways. Can walk in to to the woods with a knife and survive, just an old ridge runner. Was once jumped by a cat, killed it. Some fool had shot it and crippled a leg, wish it had been this dam fool and not the cat. It was starving, these things do happen. Please, do not say I do not know.

Last edited by 45guy; June 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:10 AM   #20
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
They are. Haven't you ever seen Detroit? Chicago? New York?
Old June 28, 2008, 12:26 AM   #21
45guy

huuum. Maybe with the court ruling today there will be changes.
Old June 28, 2008, 07:19 AM   #22
LanceOregon

Quote:
Hardly a theory. Something wildlife administrations deal with constantly. Educate yourself on the subject then get back to me
So all you can respond with is this totally condescending statement towards me??

Remember that you have very badly insulted me here in another forum on this website in the past in a most extremely personal and offensive manner.

You need to get off your high horse Playboy, and stop acting so superior towards others that you disagree with.

Old June 28, 2008, 07:34 AM   #23
Bob Lee Swagger

How effective is 9mmP against a cougar or similarly sized cat?
Old June 28, 2008, 07:58 AM   #24
Playboypenguin

Quote:
So all you can respond with is this totally condescending statement towards me??

Remember that you have very badly insulted me here in another forum on this website in the past in a most extremely personal and offensive manner.

You need to get off your high horse Playboy, and stop acting so superior towards others that you disagree with.
You see someone asking you to become better informed on a subject you chose to speak on without any knowledge of as condescending and an insult?

I could have chosen to tear your statement apart with information of how much money and time are spent each year by wildlife management trying to repair the damage of over population of prey species due to a lack of natural predators and I could have chosen to take you to task on the fact that you chose to speak out against a statement I made, not because of and opposing knowledge you possess but instead out of simple pissyness (not sure that is a word but it should be) towards the messenger and not the message.

Instead I gave you a chance to do some research and then weigh in once more. Which you seem to have declined to do.

I am sure if I had insulted you "in a most extremely personal and offensive manner" in the past I would remember it. If you perceived such a slight from something that was not intended that way (nor viewed that way by administrators) I am sorry and would gladly issue a public apology, but I have little control over your perceptions.
Old June 28, 2008, 09:33 AM   #25
Mach II Sailor

he should have gone into deeper water...., providing there was some, normaly cats hate water and if their feet can not touch bottom they will not venture into it !!