The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2014, 03:41 AM   #1
mendozer

Good buy on reloading press?

Local gun shop has an old Pacific DL - 155 for sale $30. It seems to have all the major parts in the housing for all five stations.

I've read a little into it and these are still valued by people as quality presses and bushings can be had from Hornady still. Assuming it has all the parts, is it a good deal? It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new press and for a first time reloader may be just right.

Any experience from these?

Anything to look out for?

thanks
Old July 30, 2014, 09:07 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

If it's complete, and uses standard dies, can't see a downside for a cheap starting press. You can replace it later, and may never need to.
Old July 30, 2014, 09:12 AM   #3
lamarw

I have two of them. They are good quality presses. You have stumbled onto a bargain. You could most likely sell it for twice that price on eBay.

Grab it before someone else does.

I bought both of mine back in the 1970's era. One is set-up for 12 and one for 20 gauge. I have reloaded a ton of shotgun rounds with both.
Old July 30, 2014, 12:30 PM   #4
g.willikers

You actually had to ask?
That's half of what a brick of .22 is selling for lots of places.
And less than a single tank of gas in my truck.
Grab it.
Or tell us where it is.
Old July 30, 2014, 01:03 PM   #5
mendozer

i'll swing by today and get it then. I'm pretty sure it has all the pieces (has 5 things sticking down from the body for the 5 stations) I saw the hornady manual online, maybe I can match what I see with the exploded parts diagram

thanks
Old July 30, 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
lamarw

Check eBay and/or the internet and you may be able to find a manual for the Pacific. Hope it is still there for you. Let us know how you made out.

Your dies (both powder and shot) will end up costing more than you are paying for the press.
Old July 30, 2014, 02:49 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Good for you, you're getting into reloading at a bargain rate.

I just bought a complete Lee turret press with four die sets, scales, priming attachment, bullet puller, trimmer, etc., for $200 off a local range patron. Can't go wrong with a dedicated press for one caliber.
Old July 30, 2014, 03:08 PM   #8
totaldla

You realize this is a shotgun shell reloading press - right?
Old July 30, 2014, 10:23 PM   #9
mendozer

Of course I know it's a shotshell reloader haha. So I went in and talked with the guy for a bit on the press and what could possibly be missing. Just my luck, he reloads handgun and rifle and is just barely getting into shotgun reloading so he didn't know. However he was nice enough to brainstorm with me. It came with a box of random parts, looks like extra crimps, couple other de-primer pieces, and some random stuff.

I had concerns over:
1: Station one (1 through 5 goes counterclockwise) doesn't have a shell holder. Is that an issue or is that normal for a deprimer station?
2: Station two doesn't seem right to me for priming. Looks like you slip a primer into the lever and bring it over to then crimp it down. However, there's a space below. Where does the shell go? And is that missing something?
3: this station looks fine, but I'm just curious about the pressure gauge. It seems to bounce right to left for ascending numbers. Doesn't make much sense to me.
4: seems fine
5: seems fine
Charger bar: came with extra shot and powder bushings. Some didn't have words on it, maybe worn down. I took an empty 12 ga shell and it fit the stations 4 and 5 holders well. This leads me to ASSUME everything on it is the right part for 12 gauge shells. However, the extra stuff makes me think the previous owner could have done several loads and it could be mixed on the press. None of the pieces on the body seem to have part numbers.

I have Lyman's 49th, but they don't cover shotshell reloading. I understand the basics and it's quite simple compared to rifle reloading. However, are there any MUST-HAVE manuals for it? The Manual I downloaded from Hornady for this model includes recommended loads, and it uses powder still around like red dot, green dot, etc and a few others.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
g.willikers

Reloading for shotgun is, in some ways, more complicated and exacting than for rifles and handguns.
Every single component has to match the others - exactly.
No fudging or making do with what's on hand.
Every recipe includes specific components that are to be used, from the primer at one end to the type of crimp at the other.
Get a good manual for shotgun reloading and read it thoroughly.
Remember how thin those shotgun barrel walls are.
End of unsolicited advice.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:35 AM   #11
mendozer

Can I clean this with Simple Green or the like?
Old August 15, 2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Shootest

I would use an oil base cleaner, like mineral spirits or naphtha, it will help loosen any stuck parts and prevent rusting. I will try to help as much as I can but my experience is with MEC. So for what it is worth.
Station 1 looks normal (no shell holder) the spent primer falls through the hole
Station 2 reprimes but I can’t see how it is to work. MEC has a spring loaded base.
Station 3 looks OK but a bit rusty. I would not worry about the pressure gauge as most loads today do not require the wad to be pressurized just a snug fit.
Station 4 is a crimp starter. Some shells use a 6 point and some use an 8 point crimp, that is what those brass looking things are for.
Station 5 is finish crimp I don’t see any problems from what I can tell.

Best of luck
Old August 15, 2014, 06:40 PM   #13
mendozer

to make matters more complicated, went in to the shop to get ammo for something and saw they had 4 MEC presses (used. Prices of 175, 50, 30, and 20. Two were 600 Jrs, one 650 progressive and one was something else. I could get a MEC 600 Jr for $20. Only thing is it didn't have anything on it (no shot/powder tubes) extra bushings, pieces, etc or so I know of.

The guy said if I wanted to I could exchange it. My Lyman manual uses the 600 Jr as an example due to is popularity. However, my Pacific has a bunch of parts it comes with including APF if I ever want to do that. I noticed the MEC 600 didn't have the weird primer lever thing.

Option 1: Keep the Pacific because it has some stuff with it although some of it may be outdated.

Option 2: Switch it for the MEC 600 Jr ($20 one had a charge bar, 30 did not) and get parts as needed since I may have to do it anyways.
Old August 17, 2014, 07:21 PM   #14
mendozer

so now I also know I'm missing some parts for the pacific.
primer seating assembly and spring: 050038 and 380047 with 390096 nut. Kinda important as it needs to support the shell with reloading. Hornady doesn't have the part online. Just sent them an email however. Ebay does not either.

Is this gonna be the deal breaker that drives me towards the used MEC at the LGS? I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that the MECs will be easier to find parts for since it's still made
Old August 19, 2014, 07:10 PM   #15
mendozer

Darn well the MECs are gone today. I guess i have to find that part for it.

The manual states certain wads, primers, etc but this is 25 years old so cam I right in assuming load data from any of the current manuals or powder manufacturers are fine with this press?

I mean just b/c it's old doesn't mean you have to do old loads right?
Old August 23, 2014, 08:12 PM   #16
mendozer

No luck with Hornady. Anyone know if this piece can be machined?

Or more importantly, is it REALLY needed? Why can't I just put something else firm in there to act as a bottom while the punch comes from above and seats the primer?
Old August 23, 2014, 08:45 PM   #17
rooster59

http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.c...c%20DL-155.htm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx4jjwckcu...oader.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by rooster59; August 23, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:09 PM   #18
mendozer

I have the manual and I'm very familiar with that site. But that doesn't answer whether it's truly necessary or can be made