The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
timothy75

Question for sharps shooters

My local shop has a 45-70 pedersoli sharps in stock and i was curious to those of you who shoot such rifles, what sized groups i could expect at 100 and 200 yards using the stock ladder rear sight and blade front sight. I could add a soule rear sight later but was curious about the factory sights. Thanks
Old April 25, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

It depends on how well you can shoot. The gun with those sights is very capable of shooting 2" groups with the ladder sight and a vernier peep can bring it down to 1-1.5" groups. It also depends on the load your shooting. These guns are remarkably accurate and these groups I'm describing are actually common for the experienced Sharps shooters who dedicate the time to finding the right load for their gun.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Rachen

In black powder shooting, there is a folk saying: "It is the shooter, not the gun, who decides where the bullet is going to hit"

If you are well practiced with your weapon, alert, and determined, you will achieve groups at far longer range which will be worthy of an invitation to a Shuetzen shooting contest.

Keep in mind that your Sharps rifle was built with accuracy in mind and the professional hide-hunters of the 19th century have documented clean, one-shot buffalo kills out to 600 yards with both the .45-70 Govt and the .50-70 cartridges.
Old April 26, 2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

I have a Uberti .45-70 Sharps that has turned out to be perhaps the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With Swiss 1 1/2, a 530 grain Postell bullet, and a Lee Shaver deluxe long range Soule sight with a front spirit level globe sight, it will consistently shoot sub 10" groups at 500 yards on a cool calm day, and usually closer to 8". My two best 500 yard groups are 6 shots into 6 7/8" and a three shot group earlier the same day that measured only 3 3/8", center to center. My Shiloh, which cost a LOT more than the Uberti, hasn't matched this... yet anyway.

The stock ladder and blade are certainly capable of 2 or 3 MOA if the rifle is, but a decent tang sight set will work wonders. A spirit level front sight is a must for long ranges - you would be amazed at how easy it is to cant the rifle one way or the other without one.

SASS 47015
Old April 26, 2011, 07:36 AM   #5
oilcan72

Hello,

I have a Pedersoli Sharps, I've been working on a load and so far I have 70 grains FFF elephant powder, with a 500 grain Lee bullet. I'm shooting a 2 1/4 inch group at 100 yards. From what I've been reading on other group sites if I were to cast a bullet from a better mold, use a drop tube when loading, magnum primers, etc. The group can get way better, some are claiming 1 inch groups. I am looking to get a soule sight and see just how tight I can get mine

oilcan72