The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Wanted to share my new website

For years I have been posting on the internet through forums, Facebook, YouTube, and several other platforms that most people have never heard of. I have decided this year to really invest in my competition shooting and at home gunsmithing, and to do that I wanted to invest in a platform that was my own. So, I made a personal webpage for myself called Potts Precision. It can be found here: https://www.pottsprecision.com/

It is not the most polished yet, as I learn the curve of creating my own website, but it is functional with features such as the blog being currently worked on and updated. Some of the things I want to bring:

Integration with other media Currently I might do a YouTube video on a topic and then post about it one way on Facebook and add a little on a forum such as this one. I want a place to fully integrate my ideas without taking up valuable space on other websites

Gun Stories I love fine workmanship even on guns which I personally have no interest in because I have an interest in the fine mechanical regulation and the purposeful creation and finishing of a fine gun. I want to share not only my own stories but also those of other people who have built or modified guns to suit a defined purpose. I would love any submissions from users on this site and want to feature anybody who does great work, professional or not.

Blog postsI really want to get heavy into competition shooting this year and already started with my first USPSA match of the year. I want to use blogging and video to share my growth in the sport as well as practical tips for other people who are also trying to start out. I also hope to get into PRS this year. In addition, I want to bring some of the gunsmithing posts that I do here, especially those about performing high-quality work at home or in a very limited shop.

Thanks as always to TFL for being a great place to learn and grow, and I hope some of those who have kept up with me throughout my posts here will look through the website and hopefully find some value in the things I share there.

Dakota
Old January 26, 2018, 09:42 AM   #2
zukiphile

Looks pretty polished to me.
Old January 29, 2018, 07:02 PM   #3
DaleA

Very nice!
Thanks for providing us with this stuff.

I've only shot bullseye pistol and rifle...I liked seeing the clip with the South Florida Pistol Club.

My experience with shooting clubs has been overwhelmingly positive. I can count on the fingers of one hand the jerks I've encountered at the clubs I've shot with and that's over a long, long time.

Hope your experience stays positive.
Good luck.

P.S. don't forget to go out and have a life beyond the guns too.
Old January 30, 2018, 11:24 AM   #4
RedHoundTargets

I think the site looks pretty good already. Clean and simple with some nice crisp pics. I look forward to seeing the log as it develops.
Old February 2, 2018, 12:58 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Put in a page with nothing but gun pics and a history of each one.

Put in a page of justified shootings.

Kim du Toit (one of the first and most popular gun bloggers) had such pages and those were hugely popular.

Do something similar to Hickok45 on Youtube. That guy is massive! A friend of mine met him at Shot Show.
Old February 4, 2018, 11:46 PM   #6
dakota.potts

Ten Ring,
I have an idea similar to yours - what I call "gun stories". This is a splash page with pictures of custom or semi-custom guns, modified to serve a purpose, with each of them containing a story on why and how the modifications were done. I obviously do not have many yet but am fortunate enough to know some great gunsmiths who will be contributing. One such story is already live, and you can find that page here. I will actively be soliciting more stories in that regard from everybody (including those on this forum if they wish to contribute) and perhaps at one point I can offer some kind of financial incentive for writers (once I come out a little less negative in my own costs to produce lol)

https://www.pottsprecision.com/gun-stories-1/

Thanks for your input. I also have a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDakotapotts) which is focused largely on gunsmithing and my own competitive shooting. I want them to have some cross over and reinforcement of themes, but will probably stay their own separate entities.

Thanks for the support everybody.
Old February 22, 2018, 09:37 PM   #7
jonb32248

found it