The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 16, 2017, 11:00 PM   #1
johnndor

Considering moving to NJ...

I have been offered a job in New Jersey, and just realized I'd better understand the firearms implications before making a final decision.

I have a Beretta 92FS and a Glock, both have mag capacities of I think 15 rounds.

Also a Rock River Arms AR-15.

If I read right, the pistols should be OK, but the AR is a no-go, since it has a telescoping stock and a pistol grip? (Also 15+ round magazines...)

Is this right? If so, that's too bad... it was a pretty good job offer...
Old September 17, 2017, 02:02 AM   #2
volkstrm

If The job is that good why don't you just move as close to N J as You can get & drive there? How long would you have to drive one way? 1-2hr's? If its a really good job I would go for it. I would never give up my 2nd amendment or my right to carry. Think about it? And good luck.
Old September 17, 2017, 02:10 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Depending on where in NJ the job is located, "near" could mean New York or Maryland.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Depending on where in NJ the job is located, "near" could mean New York or Maryland.

Or could be DE or PA...

The AR, get rid of magazines. Same if you have any magazines over 15 rounds for the Glock or Beretta. Have a muzzle brake pinned on the AR, pin the stock, and if there is a bayonet lug, have it removed... AR is now NJ compliant.

Personally, I wouldn't take the job. While the magazine limit is 15, it is very likely that the next governor will be Democrat. 10 round ban, or worse, would be almost certain.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:34 AM   #5
mete

NJ ? That's the state where you are Taxed when you leave it !
Not too bad if you are retired but if working it's a fairly large bite !
Not a good place to move to .
Old September 17, 2017, 11:24 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Better check your ammo, too! I understand NJ has some very strict rules about hollow points.

I suggest you contact a gun club in the area you are considering living in (yes, there still are some, the NRA can probably help you find one), and get the straight info from the people who live there.

Restrictions on your firearms rights (and other rights, possibly) ARE part of the cost of living. There are costs beyond just gas, groceries, rent and taxes.

Its up to you to determine, for yourself if the benefits (wages & etc.) outweigh the costs.

Good Luck!
Old September 17, 2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Skadoosh

I was born and raised in NJ. I can confidently say that I will never willingly return to that state.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Better check your ammo, too! I understand NJ has some very strict rules about hollow points.

NJ laws for hollow points are similar to pistol laws, and long guns for people without FID cards. In short, between your house(s), dealer, range, or business YOU own (reasonable deviations are allowed, but not defined; ER, gas, food, all up in the air if you get caught). Legal to purchase, own, and keep. You can get jammed up if you commit a crime with hollow points in your possession (add on, fourth degree crime... if I remember correctly).

Pistols, again, cannot just leave in your car and do errands on the way back from the range. Point A, to Point B, back to Point A if applicable. Point C is a very gray area. Carry license... you need justifiably need to get one, decided by a judge. There was a guy in NJ that had a similar name to one of these Wall Street bankers that screwed people out of their life savings... and was kidnapped by one victim. Took a while for him to persuade him that he had the wrong guy, and eventually got away. Went for a carry permit... did not have justifiable need for one.

If you get an NJ FID card, you can leave a long gun in your vehicle and do whatever the hell you want. Go to the range... stop see a movie, go grocery shopping. Ammo, as long as isn't hollow points, again... good to go.

These are some of the fun parts of NJ firearms law. Another is that a SBR is actually considered a SBS... clearly written in the statute. Let's say you have a Luger with a stock... which is fine elsewhere in the country, as it is exempt from SBR taxation... you have a SBS in NJ.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball
These are some of the fun parts of NJ firearms law. Another is that a SBR is actually considered a SBS... clearly written in the statute. Let's say you have a Luger with a stock... which is fine elsewhere in the country, as it is exempt from SBR taxation... you have a SBS in NJ.
What's an SBS? SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) I know, but I've never encountered the acronym SBS. Short Barreled Shotgun? Short Barreled Submachine gun?
Old September 17, 2017, 12:44 PM   #10
Screwball

Short Barreled Shotgun...
Old September 17, 2017, 01:20 PM   #11
heyjoe

depending on where in New Jersey the job is, living in Pennsylvannia is doable and maybe even desirable......cheaper property taxes, gun laws etc.
Old September 17, 2017, 01:39 PM   #12
SIGSHR

I live in NJ and Yes, Pennsylvania is much more gun-friendly and respectful of the RKBA.
Best advice I can give-Discretion is the Better Part of Valor and Three May Keep A Secret If Two Of Them Are Dead. No pro-gun stickers on the car, drive carefully, gun cases out of sight, etc. I have been stopped only twice in the last 5-6 years, in neither case did the LEO ask about firearms.
Old September 17, 2017, 07:21 PM   #13
JWT

Deepest sympathys are in order. Not at all gun friendly. Live in PA, fine; NY or NJ avoid like he plague.
Old September 17, 2017, 08:46 PM   #14
Danoobie

You don't say where this job is, in NJ. Would it be possible to live in
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

I lived in NJ for 50 years. It's a craphole. The police treat you like you
are the waste of time that's getting in the way of their coffee break.
Pollution is awful, the place literally stinks of methane emissions and
landfill effluents. Property taxes are insanely high. The place has a
population density which approaches Japan, and an awful crime rate.

Yes, there are jobs there, but maybe it would be practical to live out of state?
Old September 17, 2017, 09:35 PM   #15
osbornk

Since you are in SC, I suspect you will fill like a prisoner on parole in NJ. You need to consider the true cost of living compared to where you are and if the additional cost and lack of freedom is worth the move.
Old September 17, 2017, 09:51 PM   #16
johnndor

Thanks for the comments. If I do accept the job, looks like I'll have to leave the AR and mags at a family member's house for safe keeping. (This is a 2-5 year job). I can always visit a local gun store and see about a NJ-compliant AR, if such a thing actually exists.

I have lived in PA before, but this job is at least an hour away from PA, which is longer than I care to commute.

I can't have guns/ammo in my car anyway when I visit the jobsite, so it would just be to/from the gun range.
Old September 17, 2017, 10:22 PM   #17
Wyosmith

I am my wife have discussed such matters and both of us have concluded that to go to some states to work (NJ being one at the very top of the list) the pay would have to be enough to fund full retirement in 2 years or less.

Not likely................ So we will not go!

No job we have heard of could make us surrender our freedoms to a communist country, which is how NJ is run. No exaggeration either.

In past years I have gone to nations where my freedoms and my life were in danger, but in those places I had some fighting chance. In NJ you'll have less chance of retaining your liberties then I did years ago, going to other nations.

But you have to make your own decisions.

I will not spit on the men who died to try to keep our freedoms by submitting to greater government controls then I saw in 3rd world countries, and communist countries.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:57 AM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnndor
...I'll have to leave the AR and mags at a family member's house for safe keeping....
If you do, make sure the rifle is in a locked case to which only you have the key or combination. No one but you should have access to the rifle. Why is explained in this post.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 18, 2017, 10:27 AM   #19
rwilson452

One thing to consider in moving to NJ is the higher cost of living. If the cost of living eats up the raise in pay or nearly so I don't think it would be worth it. NJ income tax rate?
Old September 18, 2017, 11:17 AM   #20
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball
You can get jammed up if you commit a crime with hollow points in your possession (add on, fourth degree crime... if I remember correctly).
Just out of curiosity—do you know what level of crime triggers the add-on (no pun intended)?

Do traffic citations and minor non-domestic misdemeanors count?

I have no dog in this fight; it's just that I've heard lots of parroted misinformation about the NJ hollow-point law, but I don't know anything about this particular aspect of it.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:23 AM   #21
FITASC

Taxes, housing, insurance, etc. In NJ are VERY high. You need to do your due diligence cost wise and then consider things like gun laws. If you take the job, it might still be financially better to commute from PA, to go with better gun climate
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 18, 2017, 12:59 PM   #22
tony pasley

It ain't worth it S.C. to N.J.
Old September 18, 2017, 07:00 PM   #23
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
Just out of curiosity—do you know what level of crime triggers the add-on (no pun intended)?

Do traffic citations and minor non-domestic misdemeanors count?

I have no dog in this fight; it's just that I've heard lots of parroted misinformation about the NJ hollow-point law, but I don't know anything about this particular aspect of it.

People that have been arrested with a firearm that legally carried in PA, and came across the border for whatever reason, had it applied if they were in possession of them.

A fourth degree crime is still a felony, so that would take precedence. It really comes down to luck. I never saw someone arrested for just possession of hollow points... but doesn't mean it never happened. If you just have hollow points, it doesn't mean you have a gun. There is so much vagueness with NJ gun laws, that lawyers don't even like going down that road.

To answer your question, not being a lawyer and saying you definitely should check with one familiar with those laws, I would say yes, as it is an individual charge. I air on the side of caution with things like that... but every officer/prosecutor/judge sees things differently.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:18 AM   #24
cptjack

It is one of those states where you have turn right to go left and little 2 " signs on left side of road to turn right
Old September 20, 2017, 10:47 AM   #25
ATN082268

Once in a while, I think about my gun rights when contemplating job related moving to another state. If I am significantly better off financially and career wise with a job in another state, for me anyway, my gun rights take a back seat. It's a bitter pill to swallow.