The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Bachá

Help me choose my 6 lifetime guns (outide the US) :-)

A little over a year ago everybody here was kind enough to help me pick my first handgun. It was a beretta 92 inox compact with rail... great gun. I recentrly sold it, just because I realize it doesnt have any great advantage over the full size and frankly... wanted to try something different. Short story I want you guys to help me choose my second gun, that for a while will be my only hangun... here the details.

Like I said in the original thread, we do have gun registration here, and while it is possible to sell guns privately, you have to hire a lawyer and pay sales tax 12% over the transfer... a nightmare. Plus guns are really expensive, normally 2x to 4x US MSRP.

So now that I know how everything goes here, I would like to start my collection. I now have my CCW license. I wont enter into details but whhile in theory I could have unlimited guns, I will be able to realistically have 6. Those 6 guns should be guns for a lifetime, guns that I would never plan to sell unless I needed food for my children. My criteria is:

!. Reliability
2. Durability
3. Looks and coolness
4 Ease of carry

I guess under my circumstances my criteria is self explanatory. So I dont have any gun right now. Of the 6 possible I would like 4 to be handguns, a shotgun, and something like a rifle or carbine, a good "truck gun". I would be buying 1 every year, or every other year. maybe 2 in a good year or if I find a used deal... which are rare, but I have seen them. Because of the tedious process or reselling a gun, they loose a ton of value in the used market.

I prefer hammer fired guns or revolvers, and I need good sights or at least the ability to change them... my sight is not that good

So for now I want to choose my second gun, my only gun for know. So my options righ now are:

1. FNH FNX .45 $1733 I really like this gun... would be really hard to carry, but tons of fire power. i travel a lot on lonely roads, so seems appropiate too. I dont really know how realiable this brand is as it is not well known in my country.

2. Sig Legion 226 or 229 $2266 I would like to compete some day just for fun, and these look like a more sensible option. There is a sig representative in my country, I guess that is a plus. The only thing that has stopped me on pulling the trigger on these is the finish "issue" tat I dont really know how real it is. This guns have every feature i like.

3. 226 MK 25 $2000 The only reason to go with this instead of the legion would be to save a little bit of money, and if the legio finish is a real issue.

4. Beretta m9a3 $2150 I really like my beretta, really accurate in my inexperienced hands. many accesories in my country, the poilice amd military use berettas and glocks. Direct representative in my country too. A little "too tactical" for my taste, just like the FNX, but I guess its ok when I want to feel operator like :-D

5. Sphinx SDP Compact $1400 really great gun in the hand... my only concern is that there is not a lot of suport in my country. A new shop will be direct distributor of kriss for the Vector... maybe support will increase for this gun.

Of the 4 handguns I would like at least 1 to be a revolver...

6. S&W mp 340 j frame .357 $2000 same as mk25... ough! but a really goof gun for an "always on me" gun. Which I would need anyway. While I understand the utility of this gun... well...$2000... ouch

7. S&W PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model 627 2.5" barrel...$2300 I really like this gun, feels like a really, really premium gun. 8 shots of .38 or .357, you can use moon clips.

No glocks? well, for one I dont prefer striker fired guns, and they usually are $1500 to $2000 here. On the positive side, is the most used brand. Magazines, parts and accesories eeeeeeeverywhere. so... I would like to have a 17 or 19 at some point, as they are steadily coming down in price here... but I wouldnt prefer to be my only gun for now.

Sorry for the long post, but everyone is so polite and helpful here, and I really dont have anyone to help here :-D thanks to everyone in advance.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:42 PM   #2
TJB101

+1 for Sig 226 / 229 for your pistol. For the revolver I'll let a few S&W folks comment.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Mosin44az

Those guns are all top quality.

FNH is FN Herstal, from Belgium, they are famous for the Browning/ FN Hi Power, the FAL and make many guns for the US Army, including the FN 249 squad automatic. Top manufacturer.

The Smith 340 I recall being very light, painful to shoot, especially .357 rounds. I would shoot only .38 out of it if it were mine.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:49 PM   #4
dgludwig

Discontinued but well worth looking for: a Smith & Wesson Model 945, chambered in .45 ACP; imo, the best center-fire, semi-auto pistol ever made in terms of quality workmanship and materials, reliability and accuracy and at least quasi-affordable. Not especially easy to carry concealed but it is loaded with "looks and coolness".

Second choice is a SIG Model 227, also chambered in .45 ACP; mine has proven to be very reliable and plenty accurate.

For a center-fire revolver, hard to beat a Smith Model 686 with a 4" barrel, chambered in .357 Magnum. Likewise, I'd pick a Smith & Wesson Model 617 with a 6" barrel for a revolver chambered in .22 rimfire.

Only six pistols? Such a pity...

Last edited by dgludwig; September 2, 2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

No Colt 1911? Bummer.
Old September 2, 2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Bachá

Ruger SR1911 is a possibility AR $1200. Colts are insanely expensive here
Old September 2, 2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
Those guns are all top quality.

FNH is FN Herstal, from Belgium, they are famous for the Browning/ FN Hi Power, the FAL and make many guns for the US Army, including the FN 249 squad automatic. Top manufacturer.

The Smith 340 I recall being very light, painful to shoot, especially .357 rounds. I would shoot only .38 out of it if it were mine.
So fnx would be "military grade"? Yes... Everyone says that about the 340...only 13 oz
Old September 2, 2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101 View Post
+1 for Sig 226 / 229 for your pistol. For the revolver I'll let a few S&W folks comment.
Any preference between 226 or 229? Why?
Old September 2, 2017, 04:14 PM   #9
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post

Only six pistols? Such a pity...
Only six guns :-( that would be only 4 handguns. Legally I can have as much as I want, but they are expensive and such a legal pain in the neck that 6 is a realistic scenario for. Me.
Old September 2, 2017, 04:15 PM   #10
raimius

It really depends on how willing you are to carry larger guns. My default recommendation for someone looking for a carry and/or general use gun would be either a Glock 43 or Glock 19. They are not beautiful guns, in my opinion, but they are extremely reliable, very durable, relatively cheap, parts and support are plentiful in most places, and they are reasonably sized for concealed carry (19 is also a good size for range use). Really, they only fail on the "coolness" factor.

If you can only get 4 handguns, I'd make a list of what you want. Mine would go something like this:
-Concealed carry pistol
-"tactical"/competition pistol
-.22LR pistol
-"Nice" handgun

For a concealed carry pistol, I find the Glock 43, Springfield Armory XDS, or S&W M&P Shields are a good compromise of caliber, capacity, concealability, and shootability. (small-to-mid sized, single-stack 9x19mm) The Sig 938 is interesting as well, if you want a hammer-fired, smaller pistol (the sights are surprisingly good, too). For a small revolver, something like a S&W J-frame or Ruger SP101 is nice.

A tactical/competition pistol could be something like the Sigs or FN you mentioned, or a Glock 17/19. (Full-sized, double-stack, service caliber)

A .22LR is great for economical training, and just enjoyment. Something like a Ruger Mk IV, Browning Buckmark, or the classic S&W Model 41.

For the nice pistol? I'm a 1911 fan. They are great classic pistols. Dan Wesson makes some very nice ones. For a larger revolver, I'd say either a S&W L or K-frame, or possibly a something like a Ruger New Vaquero (if you like the Colt SAA).
Old September 2, 2017, 07:40 PM   #11
CDR_Glock

Help me choose my 6 lifetime guns (outide the US) :-)

Your list of guns are great with the exception of the S&W 340. The Kimber K6s is a better choice for Pocket carry. Very accurate for a "J frame" size.

The weight will be great for 357 or 38 if you prefer (24 oz). More weight is best the smaller you go.

With the steps getting guns, how about ammunition? That has me curious. Cost, available supplies and regularity of practice to maintain skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 2, 2017, 08:02 PM   #12
Rangerrich99

$2000 for a j-frame? Do we want to know how much it'd be for a full-size revolver, like a S&W 686?

I'd consider a 1911 pattern (for that cool factor, also they're just plain fun). Your list is littered with high quality, though the prices you posted are borderline outrageous.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:25 PM   #13
Kvon2

Good Lord those prices make me sad.

I have an FNX40 and it is a fantastic weapon. My only concern is the same you had which is the ability to conceal. It's a full size gun and I would imagine .45 makes it thicker.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:33 PM   #14
dakota.potts

If I have to pick a single handgun I can't live without, it's a CZ P-01. I've heard the Sphinx is very similar but I've never handled one. I use mine for concealed carry, beside the bed, target shooting, and a variety of competitions like 2 gun and IDPA (though I'm not at a competitive level where a race gun is borderline necessary)

If .22 is a reasonable price in your country, I would also get a .22. A Ruger Standard Auto would be high on the list of choices for me.
Old September 3, 2017, 06:25 AM   #15
dean1818

I bought and sold MANY guns to get to what works for me

I didnt notice in your post HOW you plan to carry

If its IWB, (The way I carry) I would get an M&P Shield AND/OR M&P Compact
(I have both)

They are not 1911s, they are not set for competition.

They are basic, accurate, ergonomic and reliable.......... I love mine

They sit in a remora holster. The most comfortable holster that I have found

I would choose the 40 cal version, because........ with one gun (M&P40C) you can
1) Convert to 357 SIG with only a barrel swap
2) Convert to 9MM with a barrel swap (and mag)
3) Can add +2 to the 40cal mag with an extender $10US and have 12+1 ready to go
4) If you want even more capacity, add a full size mag (15 rounds) and a transition piece ($10) and you have 16 rounds of 40cal. OR, add the extender to the mag and you get 17+1 of 40 cal ready to go

To me.... if you have limited choices, buy ONE gun that can be converted to your needs

If you are thinking about pocket carry, quickly change your thoughts and go back to IWB

(If I HAD to pocket carry it would be a small 38, they tend to draw much faster from a pocket than a semi auto...... I also personally don't think 380 is enough bullet, so that limits even smaller semi autos)

If you are thinking about OWB carry, you have a LARGE number of choices.
I would get a USED P229.

Good luck with your choice

Buying American made, wherever I still can

Last edited by dean1818; September 3, 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old September 3, 2017, 12:42 PM   #16
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachá View Post
Any preference between 226 or 229? Why?

I'll let the pros tell you. Mine is just personal feel in my hand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ukVhg17zs
Old September 3, 2017, 05:36 PM   #17
muzzleblast...

If I were limited to six total guns, one would have to be a .22 LR pistol and one would have to be a .22 LR rifle. If only one shotgun, it would be a nice over/under.

Each of the handguns you have listed above look like solid choices.
Old September 4, 2017, 02:28 PM   #18
rock185

Bacha', Are the Swiss or German SIG P210s available in your area? Expensive, I know. But since each is pistol is expensive,and a legal pain to acquire, perhaps one might be considered. These are rock solid, reliable and accurate pistols that will likely last a lifetime or two. Were I limited to 6, one of these would be one of the last I'd want to let go. Having owned a few, I admit am biased in favor of these pistols. Of the pistols on your list, I am most familiar with the SIG P226 series. Owned several, carried a P226, and was a SIG armorer. I currently have only the MK25 version. All were robust,reliable pistols, that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

BTW, I was issued a Glock, carried a Glock, was a LE Glock armorer, etc. Even so, Glocks were not a favorite of mine either. But as you say, Glocks are everywhere, and there is much to be said for support, availability of parts, accessories, etc.
Old September 5, 2017, 01:28 PM   #19
Bachá

Thanks everybody... I will reply to all the questions that you kindly posted to help me.

Just to let everybody know that something happened that made me think that I need the most practical EDCable gun for this gun that would be my only gun for a while... meaning the most boring :-(

So i was at the sotre looking the FNX and I saw the Glock 30 (again, hate glocks aesthetis and hate what they are sold for here but... weight, firepower, accesories, magazines, holsters... hard to overlook). Added it to my list... The 26 and 27 seem too unconfortable in hand and unfortunately I cant try them before buying. My other thinking is that I want .45 because while Hollow points are no ilegal here, many corrup cops would take you to detention if you carry hollow points and deny to give them money for carrying "military use ammunition". Thats what the idiots say as a reason if you dont agree to "make an arragement" with them... So, I prefer to carry ball ammo, and it is my understanding that with ball ammo .45 is "better" than 9mm

So the big con I see for the G30 is that it is almos $150 more expensive than the FNX45 :-( almost $500 more expensive than a SR1911 to put it in perspective. And infact $500 more expensive than a full size .45 XDM. Only $100 cheaper than a MK25 and only $300 cheaper than a sig legion... so ouch!

So... thoughts on G30?

Last edited by Bachá; September 5, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old September 5, 2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101 View Post
I'll let the pros tell you. Mine is just personal feel in my hand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ukVhg17zs
Thanks!
Old September 5, 2017, 01:37 PM   #21
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
Bacha', Are the Swiss or German SIG P210s available in your area? ...

BTW, I was issued a Glock, carried a Glock, was a LE Glock armorer, etc. Even so, Glocks were not a favorite of mine either. But as you say, Glocks are everywhere, and there is much to be said for support, availability of parts, accessories, etc.
Thanks... No, all sigs here are us made. On the plus side, the store is a sig authorized dealer.

Yeah... I sold my beretta, just because I wanted to try something else, and the compact doesnt offer anything over the full size. Plus the sights suck for my poor vision. But yeah, each gun I will buy I have to consider lifetime purchases... would you consider US made sigs in the same quality? enough to be considered a lifetime gun?
Old September 5, 2017, 01:39 PM   #22
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleblast... View Post
If I were limited to six total guns, one would have to be a .22 LR pistol and one would have to be a .22 LR rifle. If only one shotgun, it would be a nice over/under.

Each of the handguns you have listed above look like solid choices.
Yes ... a 10/22 is in my list...but not now. Thanks...

Why would you choose an over/under? :-)
Old September 5, 2017, 01:41 PM   #23
CDR_Glock

Glock 30S. 15 yards, freehanded.

Not my carry gun. I probably shoot the 30 a little better. It's an excellent gun for a 45 ACP.

The FN FNX 45 is a better choice with 16 rounds. I have an FN FNP 45 which has a great trigger. If I could have only one 45 ACP, I'd have to say the FN is the winner for me, and I have a few 1911s.

Old September 5, 2017, 01:45 PM   #24
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
I bought and sold MANY guns to get to what works for me

I didnt notice in your post HOW you plan to carry

If its IWB, (The way I carry) I would get an M&P Shield AND/OR M&P Compact
(I have both)

They are not 1911s, they are not set for competition.
Yes than you... I know trying differnt guns is ideal, but it is a complete pain in the neck in my country. Not to mention I woud loose tons of money on each sell.

The beretta I used to carry off body or IWB. I put less importance to that (maybe a mistake) because all the factors I mention.

We cant modify barrels :-( we have a lot of restrictions and prices suck, but at least we have the best gun laws in the region.
Old September 5, 2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post

Glock 30S. 15 yards, freehanded.

Not my carry gun. I probably shoot the 30 a little better. It's an excellent gun for a 45 ACP.

The FN FNX 45 is a better choice with 16 rounds. I have an FN FNP 45 which has a great trigger. If I could have only one 45 ACP, I'd have to say the FN is the winner for me, and I have a few 1911s.

Thanks... beutiful collection! I would like a 1911 too...

The FNX if beautiful, and great fire power. But for an EDC and concealment... not so sure I would find a way to handle it effectively... That is what turned my head to the G30... but man glock prices suck in my country.