The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2017, 02:57 PM   #101
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I hope somebody - preferably as contractor to Colt - stamps out some of those hammer shrouds that used to be available for D Colts. This size gun is an overcoat pocket pistol for me, and should be snag resistant.
I'm with you there, Jim!
Old January 1, 2017, 04:12 PM   #102
Brutus

The only thing I didn't see mentioned was weather or not it had a lock, if not I will buy all I can get my hands on.
As far as other comments made by an obvious KGB internet hacker. I've owned a half dozen Colts over the years all were of top quality. Point of fact my 35 year old Gold Cup still has the old Ellison adjustable sight on it, never presented a problem, unlike my Kimber Super Match which is now on it's 4th set of sights and I'll be damned if the old Colt doesn't shoot just as good.
Old January 1, 2017, 05:17 PM   #103
Buzzard Bait

Tell me I'm wrong

Is it just my memory or did Colt make a deal with the devil? Back in the day of bill clinton and his gun banning efforts didn't Colt agree to stop make hand guns for the public to purchase in exchange for the military contract? Which after they complied and got rid of their tooling bill gave the contract to FN ?
bb
Old January 1, 2017, 05:20 PM   #104
OldMarksman
Staff

Colt never stopped marketing handguns. They did stop making double action revolvers. That was a business decision.
Old January 1, 2017, 05:35 PM   #105
Buzzard Bait

Yes the double action revolvers was a business decision based on the market at the time but this was about ar15s that I was thinking about
bb
Old January 1, 2017, 05:38 PM   #106
goste

I hope they do well, and Colt introduce's other model's. I own 3 Colt DA , and 2 SAA's. I understand that their not made to compete with the original Colt da's., but I'm afraid , thats what's going to happen.

I read all the above, and I hope the people who buy it cause it's a colt, won't regret that decision.

As an example, at one time I owned 3 SAA's. All 44/40, I wanted a .45, but the day's of finding a good deal, were long gone. A new SAA, was IIRC, $1050.00. Well, I was excited when I found out that Colt was making a real Colt made version of a SAA, called the Cowboy, same outward look of a SAA. but totally Diff. inside. Had some sort of transfer safety, and ( I think ) coil spring's. Ordered one, and it was a pretty rough gun, It had colt on it sure, but it was a disapointment. didn't keep it long, and sold it to a Bud, who also didn't keep it long.

Long story short, I hope the new DA. does better than the Colt Cowboy did.
Old January 1, 2017, 05:55 PM   #107
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Cowboy was an American/Canadian gun, the new Cobra isn't.
The Cowboy was an attempt to cash in on the CAS movement with a cheaper gun than the SAA.

The new Cobra is not intended to be a cheaper version of the original Cobra, it just borrows the name, which is causing a fair bit of confusion.

I would not expect the same situation with the Cobra as what Colt ran into with the Cowboy.
Denis
Old January 1, 2017, 08:43 PM   #108
18DAI

After almost two decades it is refreshing to look forward to buying a new revolver. I will own one of the new Colt revolvers. And I hope they introduce more new models too!

The current company posing as s&w can pound sand with their wind up guns, two piece barrels and ugly designs at scalpers prices.

Colt is making a revolver I want to buy! Complete with everything I need and NOTHING I don't! Its a great day. Regards 18DAI
Old January 2, 2017, 02:19 PM   #109
dgludwig

Quote:
Handling a J-frame and a D-frame sized revolver are two different worlds and while I'm very much a Smith man, I've always liked the mid sized Colts.
Some folks might be surprised as to how close a six-shot Colt Cobra (the original one) revolver is to a five-shot J-frame Smith Airweight in terms of weight and size. They weigh the same (16 ounces) and the Colt cylinder is only about 1/10" wider (1.400 compared to 1.3098) than the Smith's. I don't know the dimensions of the new Cobra and I hope it's not much bigger, if any, than the original.

I see the 6-shot Colt Cobra, with its 20% ammunition capacity advantage over an otherwise equivalent 5-shot revolver, as an ideal concealed carry choice and I think it would be a big mistake for Colt not to offer their new Cobra with lightweight alloy frame and concealed hammer options.
Old January 2, 2017, 02:27 PM   #110
dgludwig

Quote:
Tell me I'm wrong
Is it just my memory or did Colt make a deal with the devil? Back in the day of bill clinton and his gun banning efforts didn't Colt agree to stop make hand guns for the public to purchase in exchange for the military contract? Which after they complied and got rid of their tooling bill gave the contract to FN ?
You're wrong.
Old January 3, 2017, 05:31 PM   #111
texagun

This may answer some questions:

Old January 3, 2017, 05:43 PM   #112
sabbfan

The $699 MSRP is actually less than the Ruger SP101, seriously considering one if the initial reports are good since I have been wanting the Ruger.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:32 PM   #113
Skans

I too hope Colt finds a success with this pistol. I would love to see Colt have some successes. This may be a good start!
Old January 3, 2017, 10:03 PM   #114
ilmonster

Just saw this today. I've shot S&W's, own a Ruger .357 LCR (and have shot the SP-101), and have always loved the looks and function (i.e. 6 shots) of the old Colt Det. Specials. I think I may have a new Colt in my future!

p.s. and I only shoot .38 and .38+P through my LCR, so the Colt caliber is just fine!
Old January 3, 2017, 10:54 PM   #115
Model12Win

If this Colt's is in fact having an MSRP $699 it will run the Kimber into the ground.

Obviously, the quality will be there (read: Colt's). The new Kimber job is well thought of and most are pleased with them, but it's a lot more money than this new Colt's offering, and I HIGHLY doubt the Kimber will be superior to a true pony gun.

Ruger, S&W, and especially KIMBER better have a plan when this new Colt's is finally released.
Old January 4, 2017, 03:43 AM   #116
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Ruger, S&W, and especially KIMBER better have a plan when this new Colt's is finally released.
I think of all of these, S&W should be most concerned about lost market share.

Ruger's revolver following is going for the big, robust last-a-lifetime-of fullhouse-rounds revolver or the novel LCR.

Kimber is a semi-auto manufacturer that decided to launch a .357 whilst Colt's is a .38. I doubt Kimber is planning to ditch it's auto dept or suddenly become a predominanty wheel-gun brand.

S&W are the one whose branding seems a blend of "We've got history and pedigree" and good, out-of-the-box triggers. That is also Colt's allure except they've been out of the game and will need to convince a section of the buying public that they are worth the expense; as this thread has suggested, not all are convinced.
And Smith still commands a large portion of the market share.

Those that hark back to the days of Colt's DA revolvers are probably enthusiasts like those on here or probably those who are older and hence remember them being on sale.

With one gun on sale, I don't think any of those brands need fear Colt's return overly but nor should they rest on their laurels.

That is my view, but then I'll likely never see a K6, new Colts, most S&Ws and most Rugers in the flesh, so what do I know?

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; January 5, 2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Got my -ing forms confused.
Old January 4, 2017, 08:37 PM   #117
Radny97

James Pond that's enough to make a grown man cry. You ever make a trip to the states let me know and you can shoot every gun I own.
Old January 5, 2017, 02:09 AM   #118
Miles42

I think I will take a chance on one. I can not afford the over priced King Cobras on the after market sales. I had a new one I bought for around 300, no way are worth 1500 to me now.
Old January 5, 2017, 07:10 AM   #119
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James Pond that's enough to make a grown man cry. You ever make a trip to the states let me know and you can shoot every gun I own.
That is also enough to make a grown man cry, but for altogether more positive reasons!!

Thank for the offer.
Luckily, I have my one and only Ruger Redhawk for comfort until then!

(You do know that now you'll be flooded with dozens of "Mr Ponds" all putting on an assortment of bad Euro accents, don't you?)
Old January 5, 2017, 11:49 AM   #120
BarryLee

Sorry if this is old news, but Colt is now listing this on their WEB site.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/Cobra
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 5, 2017, 03:20 PM   #121
joed

Quote:
The pistols are made in small numbers by a small outfit that licenses the name from Colt.
That scares me. Who and where?
Old January 5, 2017, 04:40 PM   #122
DPris
Member Emeritus

Why should it scare you?
Denis
Old January 5, 2017, 06:06 PM   #123
Super Sneaky Steve

I don't think these will sell well.

Besides not having a bobbed hammer, the only reason to carry an all steel gun is to take the bite out of .357 Magnum.

.38 spl is just fine, but I'd rather carry a gun with half the weight if that's my only option.
Old January 5, 2017, 09:37 PM   #124
Radny97

James Pond, haha all the Mr. Ponds are welcome. Happy to get more people into the shooting sports.
Old January 6, 2017, 09:31 AM   #125
Wheelie_Fan

Looking forward to the first Range Report on the new Cobra!