The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 4, 2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Skitt

Henry rifles. Any thoughts?

I'd really like to buy myself a Henry big boy but I don't know anyone that owns one. Nor have I had the chance to shoot one.
Anyone have any input? I'm thinking 45 long Colt.
Thanks
Old February 4, 2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'd say your on the right track. 45 Colt. American made. Made by a company known to take care of their customer's needs. From what I've read here and there. Those that own one like theirs. I've only seen one at my club range the individual shooting it appeared pleased with his rifles performance. {He must have. He sure shot enough that morning.} I think it would be a fun gun to shoot and reload for. Now doubt you could hunt with it. FWIW I think its a win win for your consideration to own one. Frankly I like the idea of shooting a 45 cal over both the 357 and 44 don't you Skitt? Well with that said. Time to go refill my cup now.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:09 AM   #3
dalegribble

I have a henry 22 lever rifle that is great and I would like to get more henry rifles
Old February 4, 2014, 09:37 AM   #4
jmr40

They make decent rifles. I like the 22's well enough for a shooter, but can't buy one of their centerfires. A pistol caliber rifle that weighs almost 9 lbs should be against the law to make. Seems Henry missed the whole point of owning a lever action. They should be a light handy carbine, not 2 lbs heavier than my 300 magnum. Having to load from the front of the tube vs a loading gate on the side of the receiver is another negative.

I like the idea of pistol caliber levers, have a Marlin in 44. I just don't like Henry's version.
Old February 4, 2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Bill Daniel

Henry rifles

I have a Henry H010 47-70 at about 7 lbs. I thought the magazine spring was a little weak and called them about it. I had a new magazine in less than a week no questions no arguments! I love mine. Smooth action!
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old February 4, 2014, 03:43 PM   #6
savagecornmuffin

I think they have the finest lever action 30-30 made. The action is sooo slick. If I wasn't already about to start my Win 94 "un-Bubba project" I'd buy one. Most folks don't like loading in the tube, I don't think its a big deal for a day of hunting.

And I'll back up all the Customer Service anecdotes. I won't detail my issue, but the short of it is I had a rifle from their old Brooklyn plant. They haven't been there in years. They said to ship in the gun or they could ship me parts. Whatever I wanted. I had them ship the parts. I got 2 sets of part and a hat and t-shirt..... and a follow up email to make sure I was taken care of.
Old February 4, 2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Erno86

About 7 years ago...on the 100 yard range at AGC at Marriottsville, I was a witness --- about 6 feet away --- to a tubular magazine explosion in a Henry Golden Boy --- in 45 Colt --- from a guy that took an offhand shot. One round exploded in the magazine, sending metal fragments that caused puncture wounds to his left arm and abdomen.
Rifle primers have less of a chance of causing a tubular magazine explosion than pistol primers. Soft lead tipped bullets also helps prevent the same occurrence.

An RSO over at the state run Hap Baker gun range, about 15 miles away from our range, has also given warnings to shooters who have Golden Boy's, about tubular magazine explosions.

--- George Orwell
Old February 4, 2014, 05:29 PM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
An RSO over at the state run Hap Baker gun range, about 15 miles away from our range, has also given warnings to shooters who have Golden Boy's, about tubular magazine explosions.
I don't understand that statement. Lever actions mostly have tube magazines. Are you talking about loading at the tube vs through a gate?

It's universally known you can't use 'pointy' bullet profiles in a lever action unless you have the polymer tips.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9
alex0535

I just have a Henry H001 .22, and I would happily own another in a larger caliber. It has served me well for more than a decade, it is very accurate. They make great rifles and their customer service is apparently top notch.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

My concern is that receiver on the .44 mag and .45 Colt rifles are made of brass. I can imagine that would hold up very well.

Tony
Old February 4, 2014, 09:36 PM   #11
silverstang23

I have a henry 22 and love it. IMO you can't beat them in the lever world for the money. Haven't shot the model you are looking at, but if it's anything like their 22 you will love it. Very accurate and reliable
Old February 4, 2014, 11:14 PM   #12
jersurf101

Gave my son an H001 for Christmas. This is a great rifle for the money. I would buy another Henry for sure.
Old February 5, 2014, 04:42 AM   #13
dos0711

I have a pair of Henry's...great craftsmanship
Old February 5, 2014, 05:25 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
a tubular magazine explosion in a Henry Golden Boy --- in 45 Colt ---
You mean Big Boy, the Golden Boy is a .22 and mag explosions are cause by using the wrong ammo. Its not just a Henry deal.
Old February 5, 2014, 07:38 AM   #15
Sarge

Henry 22's are slick, accurate little lever actions that I prefer to anything this side of the Browning BL22. I've handled exactly one of their 45 Colts and it left me thinking that my Rossi 92 Trapper was better in every respect.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:47 AM   #16
JWT

My Henry Golden Boy .17HMR is the smoothest action lever gun I've ever handled. Well made and extremely accurate. I had to contact Henry because the magazine tube was not properly staked at the end of the barrel. Their response, service, and return was excellent.
Old February 5, 2014, 10:13 AM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's a brass alloy on the centerfire models, stronger than convention brass.
Denis
Old February 5, 2014, 10:29 AM   #18
rebs

if you load it through the tube or through a side gate, they are all tubular magazines.
Old February 5, 2014, 10:45 AM   #19
Skitt

Thanks for the helpful info guys. I bought the big boy in 45 long Colt. Now if it would warm up here even into the 20's I could go out and enjoy it! Wisconsin weather isn't that great lately. Haha
Old February 5, 2014, 11:44 AM   #20
PVL

Looks like its a good thing that the customer service is good, because apparently the quality control isn't - otherwise we would not be hearing so many customer service stories.
Old February 5, 2014, 12:17 PM   #21
JWT

Don't know that there have been too many quality issues with Henrys. Yeah, mine had a minor issue that was promptly corrected, but most of the people I know with Henrys have had zero issues. My .22 Henry has been perfect.
Old February 5, 2014, 02:33 PM   #22
TopMCITWS

Have a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt for nearly 3 - years. It is a great rifle and nothing satisfies a Hondo Lane itch as quickly as this Henry does.

Congratulations on your recent acquisition, hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Old February 5, 2014, 02:37 PM   #23
the1mu

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 357 lever action. I personally like it because it's the same ammo as my revolvers.

Congrats on your new purchase!
Old February 5, 2014, 03:26 PM   #24
Idahosd

YES, I have a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt and the 357/38 model which is a loaner for guest hunters. First off, my needs and usage are not the same as other people on this site, so please factor that in. But, for what I use them for, they are an Excellent choice. My hunting situation changed so I had to adapt to the situation or I could just give up perhaps the best hunting spot forever. So, I Adapted. And now I use my Henry Rifle and several revolvers as a close range Rock Chuck Varmint guns.

I live in SW Idaho and in places, has the very best Rock Chuck Hunting almost anywhere. The density of the population is off the scale. The average Chuck is about 12-15lbs, with some going 20lbs. This over growing is what happens when poisoning is not allowed and the hunting land boarders the "no shooting" Snake River Birds of Prey area. So, the surrounding farmers are overwhelmed with marauding Rock Chucks from this protected area. The chucks literally boil out of the ground at times. Average Daily harvest per hunter is about 75. Annual harvest over 1,500 and not even a dent in the population.

However, the hunting area has several new bordering housing developments and all of the sounds gets funneled down the canyon towards them and a small town. Until last year all was well, but complaints of sound pollution from several thousands of rounds from 243, 22-250, 223 and 308's hit a fever pitch. Anyway, the compromise worked out by everyone was to go to pistol rounds only. It is not a law or anything, just neighbors agreeing to get along type of thing.

So, my primary close range rifle I went with the Henry in 45 Colt with a 1.75 x 6 Leupold VX3 (Attached bottom pic). I was very lucky to find that the load of 9.0 Unique and 250gr lead flat points were sub MOA at 100 yards in this rifle. I also use 8.5 Unique 300 Grain and get 1.5 inch groups and those hit very hard. Trust me when I say that it is just as Explosive to shoot a rock chuck with a 45 colt to about 125 yards as it is to hit one with a 243 at 200 yards. It will send them about 10 feet in the air if shot correctly. The 357/38 is a lot quieter but with 125gr HP, it sends them flying a little less, but a lot more "red flag". Both guns have round counts over 1,500, without any issue. They are much faster to shoot then bolt action rifles, and if you stumble in a group of 20+ chucks in the open, it is easy to pick off at least 7 before they disappear down their holes. The goal here is not to wound anything, but to exterminate, so there is no overkill.

Most of the hunting is done using shooting sticks, but a few spots we have a bench to shoot from. When the shooting is done for the day, the fields look like a battle grounds. But all is cleared away in less the 24 hours, as the chucks are dined on by the bald eagles and all of the other raptors from the birds of prey area. What the birds don't eat the coyotes and the chucks themselves finish up.

The weight issue with the Henry is about the same as the other varmint rifles. I know that 11+ lbs rifles are a lot to carry if deer/elk hunting, but for Varmint hunting it is kind of a light setup. I kind of have a policy that if you are going to whine about having to carry 20lbs of hunting gear (gun, ammo, spotting scope, water) on flat land, you best stay back home and bake cookies or knit or ????? The things people whine about in forums is amazing.

Sorry for the long wind answer, but I am more then happy with the Henry's. My advice, buy it and enjoy. They work in the REAL WORLD.

Last edited by Idahosd; February 5, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old February 8, 2014, 07:02 AM   #25
skoro

Henry rifles. Any thoughts?

I think my H001TM is a real fine rifle.