The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 8, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
3nails7

Hey!

I've finally created an account for tfl. I've always been directed here from google searches regarding different firearm questions.

Recently bought a Beretta 92fs and I'm planning on going for my chl sometime in the future, once I'm comfortable with the gun.

My next purchase will be a Marlin xl7. That's the plan anyways.

One question that I have, and I've read a ton of answers already, is I'm storing my gun in its's original case and I'm wondering if I can "oil it too much" for storage. The gun will come out as often as I can get some ammo and get a break from work, but is it alright to leave it with a decently thick layer of oil while I'm doing life? I realize "cases are meant for transporting, safes are meant for storage" but I'm not close to getting a good safe yet. I clean my firearms periodically, and immediately after getting back from the range. My Remington 870 is also in a soft case.
Old August 8, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
silvrjeepr

Hey!

Keep it away from humidity and run a clean patch down the barrel before you shoot and you'll be fine. I'm sure you know not to pour oil into your trigger group...
Old August 8, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
3nails7

Affirmative. I underhand cleaning dos and don'ts. I'm using BreakFree and Rem Oil. Thanks for the reply!
Old August 8, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Bore-Store bags, gun care; Brownells.com ....

Hello & welcome to the forum;
New gun owners & entry level shooters need to learn the ins & outs of gun care and firearm cleaning.
Over-use of oils, grease and/or cleaners is one of the most common problems law enforcement armorers or professional gunsmiths see.

Brownells.com is your pal, . They have a long history & provide many great gun care products. A decent CLP(cleaner protect lube) can do the job for most of your storage/cleaning needs. Top brands include; FrogLube, LPX, Weaponshield, Gunzilla, Eezox, Ballistol.
Many long time gun owners & armed professionals prefer the non-toxic odor free CLPs that have no harsh fumes or chemicals.
Wearing nitrile medical gloves isn't a bad idea while you clean or oil guns, .

Bore-Store bags are low cost & can protect a firearm from damage/scuffs. It's not meant for secure storage & shouldn't be left around young kids or untrained adults. The grey fabric breathes & allows air to move thru it.
There are also videos & online guides for gun cleaning. Ruger.com is a great resource.

ClydeFrog
www.nra.org www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.gunzilla.us www.galls.com www.gunvideo.com www.deltapress.com www.eezox.com
Old August 9, 2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Sevens

I am not familiar with the "original case" that Beretta was using when they shipped your pistol. I did want to mention however that if it is a hard plastic case with no FOAM inside it, that is a fine way to store it.

If it happens to be a plastic case with the cheap black foam, egg-crate shape foam, then storing a gun in that foam is NOT a good idea.

That foam is absolutely fine for transporting a gun. Nice, soft, keeps it from banging around. The problem with the stuff is that it attracts moisture and when you close the case, that moisture is transferred to whatever it is in contact with.
Old August 9, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Venom1956

Best way to store a firearm is in the open air that is circulating with some sort of controlled temp and humidity. This is usually not as easy as it sounds.

I would warn against storing any firearm its original case ever regardless of manufacture. Those cases are intended to get the pistol from point A to point B safely. They are NOT designed to store the pistol in. Most pistols ship in some plastic and coated in a preservative to keep moisture away while in the case. When someone cleans it up and after using puts it back in the case for a few weeks then is shocked when its covered in rust since it doesn't have the preservative any longer. It happens ALOT.

I'll add to what Sevens said. Foam can react negatively to your cleaners and decay and damage your pistols finish as well.

Plastic can be enough to cause wear points on the pistol if it is constantly rattling around in the case.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
LockedBreech

I store all my firearms in the original egg-crate foam, and have for years without any issues or even a spot of rust, but I also live in a very arid area. I understand that in non-deserts it's much more of an issue.

I also am far away from being able to get a safe, but that is high on my priority list after school.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
FAS1

Will it be used for home defense? Might consider a good quality handgun safe to keep it in. If bolted down solid, it will at least give you a little security when you are away.
Old August 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
I store all my firearms in the original egg-crate foam, and have for years without any issues or even a spot of rust
For piece of mind, or information's sake, take one of those gun cases with the simple egg-crate type of foam and bring it outdoors. Open it in the sun. Leave it outdoors all day on a non-rainy day. Leave it out in to the evening when the temperature outside naturally drops. Bring it inside eventually.

THEN put something inside that is prone to rusting. Say some unfinished nails or something. You'll find that the foam has gathered all the humidity it could manage, and retained it. It'll transfer that humidity to it's contents if it has the chance.

Everyone should do however they please, but the cheap egg-crate type foam is not the best answer.
Old August 9, 2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Wyoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
I store all my firearms in the original egg-crate foam, and have for years without any issues or even a spot of rust, but I also live in a very arid area. I understand that in non-deserts it's much more of an issue.
For some things, It is nice to live in the dry country. But I sure wish it would rain!
Old August 16, 2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Dunecigar

American citizen (Bersa, DP-51, CD M-5, CCWP) living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America:

Due to the huge crime rate and home invasions, I hide the guns I am not carrying in a waste basket with (clean) toilet paper over flowing on top.

The big problem here in this tropical environment is bullet storage. I lost my SW442 to a squid round. The humdity is pretty high so finding a dry place to keep rounds is a task.